Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default REVIEW: Sorry, Haters, But "Ghostbusters" Is Great

After much outcry and controversy, it turns out Paul Feig's franchise reboot is hilarious -- and it won't even ruin your childhood.

Full article here.

Fantastic Member

I've heard mostly "It's okay" reviews. IGN gave it a 6.9

BANNED

Sorry Haters? Is the headline implying most or some of CBR readers are haters?

Sigh.

We're going to get a lot of review headlines like this, aren't we? Not in terms of the reviewer enjoying it, there's obviously nothing wrong with that. But this whole "In your face, people with a different opinion than me!" kinda vibe.

I've already mentioned in another thread how I have little to no interest in reviews (good or bad), given that they are just other people's opinions. But as we saw with BvS and Civil war, some people place so much stock in what critics say, whether that be agreeing with them or coming up with conspiracy theories as to why certain reviews are good or bad. For me, reviews and critics as individuals simply aren't that important. As such, when a reviewer makes a conscious decision to elevate their own opinion, that's something that does irritate me.

Like the movie, love the movie, hate the movie, whatever. But don't claim that everyone who disagrees is wrong. Cos that's a tat arrogant.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Never quite understood the notion of something that "ruins your childhood" that a lot of people throw around, like how? The old show/film/comic book whatever is not suddenly going to be crap because of a reboot/different incarnation, if anything it will make you appreciate the original work more. Anyway good to know this is not the disaster people were expecting, consensus seems "okay-good could have been better".

Edit- I do agree about the headline of the review, sceptics would have been a better a more appropriate word.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Mighty Member

Please, I will see this movie, but stop with this stupid narrative. I almost don't want to see it, just because of the utter stupidity in EVERY part of this debate. It's a reboot, surely mediocre but enjoyable for what it's worth, not the new manifesto of Judith Butler ! The passive aggresive reactions of the medias are really not in favor of this movie. You don't help at all. The only nuanced opinion I have seen for the moment is by Harold Ramis, he is the only that understand that it's not with insults that you will help. You can do better, CBR.
    Last edited by lordozone; 07-10-2016 at 11:34 AM.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Its clear whoever is in charge of CBR isn't getting the so/so reviews. I mean when a reviewer like Village Voice claims the film seems stuck on doing the near same premise as the 1984 film that isn't good at all. A better column would be , "Ghostbusters Reviews are in the middle at best." Its more silly to see them take the positive reviews , neglect any negative ones and promote it as a success. But sadly CBR is afraid to be really serious anymore. They are afraid of negative attention.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Its clear whoever is in charge of CBR isn't getting the so/so reviews. I mean when a reviewer like Village Voice claims the film seems stuck on doing the near same premise as the 1984 film that isn't good at all. A better column would be , "Ghostbusters Reviews are in the middle at best." Its more silly to see them take the positive reviews , neglect any negative ones and promote it as a success. But sadly CBR is afraid to be really serious anymore. They are afraid of negative attention.
    Vanity Fair and The Hollywood reporter both called it a dissapointment

That would be a fair point if this was an article about the other reviews of the film. This is their review of the film, which they happen to have enjoyed. Heaven forbid they have their own opinion and make up their own minds.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conn Seanery View Post
    That would be a fair point if this was an article about the other reviews of the film. This is their review of the film, which they happen to have enjoyed. Heaven forbid they have their own opinion and make up their own minds.
    I had thought CBR was doing a general reaction deal. I didn't know it was someones personal feeling for the film. Until clicking it....I guess the "Sorry Haters..." is to lure clicks to it. To each their own , but once the Sorry Haters line appeared , I stepped away. I did like this article , which had a nice opening , "A Funny Enertaining Reboot , Held back by a blockbuster formula"

http://www.slashfilm.com/ghostbusters-reviews/
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

It seems kind of all over the internet now it's all extremes, either it's the greatest comic/movie/video game/whatever ever made or it's the worst trash conceivable, there is no middle.

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    We're going to get a lot of review headlines like this, aren't we? Not in terms of the reviewer enjoying it, there's obviously nothing wrong with that. But this whole "In your face, people with a different opinion than me!" kinda vibe.
    That sums up my view pretty well. I don't let one review color my opinion of anything.

I had thought CBR was doing a general reaction deal. I didn't know it was someones personal feeling for the film. Until clicking it....I guess the "Sorry Haters..." is to lure clicks to it. To each their own , but once the Sorry Haters line appeared , I stepped away. I did like this article , which had a nice opening , "A Funny Enertaining Reboot , Held back by a blockbuster formula"

http://www.slashfilm.com/ghostbusters-reviews/
    "Haters" is easier to fit in a title than "concerned Ghostbusters fans with super-serious and totally legitimate gripes despite not having seen the film," I guess. But "clickbait"? Gimme a break.
    Conn Seanery
    CBR Forums Administrator ~ Ron Swansonite ~ Brock Samson will show us the way
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

"Hnh. Could Bowie have been a mutant?" ~Dr. Doom (Hellfire Gala 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    It seems kind of all over the internet now it's all extremes, either it's the greatest comic/movie/video game/whatever ever made or it's the worst trash conceivable, there is no middle.
    If I had a dollar for every movie that was the "worst ever," I'd have quite a few dollars in my wallet.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

So going by Slashfilm critic overview thus far the film is a fairly decent Paul Feig film but doesn't especially work as a Ghostbusters film?