Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LoganAlpha30X33 View Post
    See that's the problem with her...one of them, she's not seen as Lorna Dane by most but as the daughter of Magneto...
    Duh. She was right there at the core of the House of M. Nothing arong with being the daughter of the most famous mutant of all time.

Ultimate Member

Not saying that there's anything wrong, not sure that Magneto is the most famous mutant of all time though...but it's more that she's viewed as just his daughter, she's viewed through her association with him rather than as her own character...much like how the Havok haters have often bashed Alex for that kind of thing....but it's seemingly okay since he's the father that abandoned her for most of her life...

I'm drunk and dumb enough right now to snipe in with one (and ONLY one) quick post. I fully expect it to not be here within five minutes if I touch the wrong nerve.

Lorna is almost 50 years old in real time years. In that time, she had the Austen run, "Five Miles South of the Universe," X-Factor #243, and Bunn's final Magneto solo run as the only points where her relationship to Magneto as her father actually got used.

Havok had 3 decades. 70s, 80s, 90s. And their time in space. And other bits and pieces here and there.

To say she's becoming too associated with Magneto after so little has been done with them is absurd. By these same rules, she shouldn't interact with Havok ever again.

And that's my post.
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

BANNED

Not saying that there's anything wrong, not sure that Magneto is the most famous mutant of all time though...but it's more that sh7e's viewed as just his daughter, she's viewed through her association with him rather than as her own character...much like how the Havok haters have often bashed Alex for that kind of thing....but it's seemingly okay since he's the father that abandoned her for most of her life...
    When the hell did Magneto abandon Lorna Dane? Lol.
    And there is no mutant in history more feared and more famous in the Marvel Universe than Magneto.

Quote Originally Posted by salarta View Post
    I'm drunk and dumb enough right now to snipe in with one (and ONLY one) quick post. I fully expect it to not be here within five minutes if I touch the wrong nerve.

Lorna is almost 50 years old in real time years. In that time, she had the Austen run, "Five Miles South of the Universe," X-Factor #243, and Bunn's final Magneto solo run as the only points where her relationship to Magneto as her father actually got used.

Havok had 3 decades. 70s, 80s, 90s. And their time in space. And other bits and pieces here and there.

To say she's becoming too associated with Magneto after so little has been done with them is absurd. By these same rules, she shouldn't interact with Havok ever again.

And that's my post.
    Other then some die hard online shippers (you can count the number on one hand) there are very few people demanding a return of Havolaris on the major boards and among them only one views Lorna's parentage as a kind of compitition to her being Havok's love muffin again. Honestly their relationship was toxic and thd longer it stays dead the better.

While it would be interesting to see Lorna and Bobby interact again like those earlier in the thread I give that 20 years at least after the revel. In terms of her other close relationships Quicksilver has for over two decades been in her top five, unfortunately I don't see that developing again until the retcon is undone. Obviously her developing relationships to Wanda and Crystal and dead until the retcon gets undone as well.

Lorna for the second x-woman really has no real relationships with the other X-Men. The closest would have been the Jean of old.

The lack of interaction with the core X-Men is something that could use some fixing. But, short of her being an x-woman she probably could use some sort of adversarial team position. Lorna does work well as sort of the anti-Jean, she doesn't work so well as the B-list Jean.
    Last edited by jmc247; 06-11-2016 at 04:48 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    When the hell did Magneto abandon Lorna Dane? Lol.
    And there is no mutant in history more feared and more famous in the Marvel Universe than Magneto.
    In the recent retcon Magneto knew that she was his daughter when she was a little girl and basically just abandoned her to her fate until she was like 30 and he needed her help, then he cared about her again...

My point was that when some here talk about Lorna it's not that Lorna deserves better than this or that it's Magneto's daughter deserves better, and some of the threads about Lorna refer to her as Magneto's daughter and not as a woman that's standing on her own two feet that just happens to be related to Magneto...

The Alex and Lorna relationship wasn't toxic, it wasn't always well written I'll admit but it wasn't toxic, the more Magneto fans want Lorna to play second fiddle to Magneto for a good long while rather than maybe another try with Alex where they could be written better...and again I'll bet that it won't be long before Alex is blamed for Lorna not having real relationships with the other X-men, even though it's not his fault...

Lorna doesn't need to be the anti anything, she just needs to be herself...

BANNED

In the recent retcon Magneto knew that she was his daughter when she was a little girl and basically just abandoned her to her fate until she was like 30 and he needed her help, then he cared about her again...

My point was that when some here talk about Lorna it's not that Lorna deserves better than this or that it's Magneto's daughter deserves better, and some of the threads about Lorna refer to her as Magneto's daughter and not as a woman that's standing on her own two feet that just happens to be related to Magneto...

The Alex and Lorna relationship wasn't toxic, it wasn't always well written I'll admit but it wasn't toxic, the more Magneto fans want Lorna to play second fiddle to Magneto for a good long while rather than maybe another try with Alex where they could be written better...and again I'll bet that it won't be long before Alex is blamed for Lorna not having real relationships with the other X-men, even though it's not his fault...

Lorna doesn't need to be the anti anything, she just needs to be herself...
    Oh no...that wasn't abandoning. He was fighting for mutant rights and she was just a little girl. Did you really think he would take her on his missions with him? You can't be that dense.

She does stand on her own two feet. She's not dependent on Erik Lehnsherr. But she's not his enemy either and she had a great run along his side. That's what we need to see more of.

What Polaris really needs is for a writer of a main book to push for her in a big way? She has a plethora of potential and given her past she's actually very relevant to the situation of today. She just needs that writer to champion her.

BANNED

And the purple Shiar costume.

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    What Polaris really needs is for a writer of a main book to push for her in a big way? She has a plethora of potential and given her past she's actually very relevant to the situation of today. She just needs that writer to champion her.
    She could certainly use that, the last real champion she had on a core title was Austen. I guess Milligan could also be in that category, but his #1 woman on his run was Emma.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEsta View Post
    Oh no...that wasn't abandoning. He was fighting for mutant rights and she was just a little girl. Did you really think he would take her on his missions with him? You can't be that dense.

She does stand on her own two feet. She's not dependent on Erik Lehnsherr. But she's not his enemy either and she had a great run along his side. That's what we need to see more of.
    He did totally abandon her back then, I never expected him to take her along on his missions but in between them and such he could have at least tried to raise her by putting her somewhere safe, rather he basically dropped her off at an orphanage if even that and then totally forgot about her until she was an adult, suddenly wanting a relationship with her mostly because he needed her power...never said that she was his enemy, great in your eyes but not everyone's, she stands on her own two feet at the moment because there's nobody else there that could challenge her for the lead in the book that PAD wrote, with Magneto it's like she just developed her powers and can't do much of anything on her own that he has to tell her how to do anything...

Astonishing Member

Sadly, that's tragic reality faced by thousands of soldiers everyday, either take their toddlers on their missions in Iraq or leave them in the rubble of a plane crash with the bodies of their 'parents' after inflicting brain damage on them so that the don't remember their 'real' parents. Who are we to judge? If only there were a third (or fourth or fifth option, lol...)

Ultimate Member

Magneto probably had plenty of well connected friends that he could have left Lorna with where he knew that she'd have a good home and that perhaps he could even visit her as a friend of the family, it all stems from the fact that for decades of Lorna's existence Magneto was not her father at all, then it all got changed and since the writers have tried to retcon things...as he wasn't her father until sometime after AoA last I checked, so writers are trying to make up for lost time in some respects...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    Everything about the Cyclops push of the last few years is a big lie. Should of been Polaris in that spot the whole time and Cyclops should of disappeared when they killed off Jean with the Xorneto charade. It's like Polaris from 2003 is who they've been spinning Cyclops into for years....taken a more Magneto stance on his proactive goals.

Ultimate Member

Though the difference would be that Lorna would do a lot to protect mutants only to then have someone show her the truth about what she'd done, by that I mean how many people had died because of her actions and such, and then she'd be upset by that and not be as arrogant and self assured as Scott was, she'd try to help as many people as she could and regret some of her actions later...how much she is like Magneto depends on the current writer that's writing her...