BANNED

Default Crossed - Badlands

Back in 2010, after the original mini ended, Crossed creator Garth Ennis said: "I'm very pleased with Crossed and don't want to dilute it with a sequel that i hadn't the ideas to sustain."

Well, after reading the three story arcs he wrote for the "Crossed - Badlands" ongoing, i wish he had kept his word....
    Last edited by Andrew Eldritch; 07-17-2014 at 08:48 AM.

If he needed the money... but yeah, his stories have been weak if not bad. I've got the feeling that this kind of projects are not for Ennis: the more he writes them, the more he tends to get lost among the perturbing scenes and all the swearing. In other words, he ends up doing his best to show he's the enfant terrible of the industry while he forgets to write something good.

BANNED

His first arc for "Crossed - Badlands" was a diluted rehash of the original mini. At least, it was short.
    Issues 25 to 28 were only an excuse to bash Cristianity. Yeah, Ennis, "religion is evil"! You already made your point TWENTY YEARS AGO!
    And Avatar promoted "The Thin Red Line" as the definitive story about "patient zero". But it took SEVEN issues and only raised more questions instead of provide real answers.
    Last edited by Andrew Eldritch; 06-27-2014 at 06:22 PM.

I was entertained by Ennis' and Lapham's minis before the ongoing Badlands. I've not really cared for much in Badlands and dropped it after issue 43, I think, or whatever the end of that arc was. I take it I've not missed anything with Ennis' patient zero story?

BANNED

It only showed ONE patient zero, in England. But nothing about who (or what) created and started the outbreak of the Crossed plague. In the end, it felt like a pointless story.
    Last edited by Andrew Eldritch; 07-17-2014 at 08:49 AM.

That's disappointing, given the build up to that arc. I was considering catching up in the series if that arc got good fan reviews. Guess it's finished for me.

BANNED

From the Bleeding Ass site:

Justin Jordan will continue to write some Crossed stories, with Garth Ennis coming back every year for a new story.
    Christenson has seen some art from Crossed issue 100, which will be the beginning of an 11 issue run by Garth Ennis.
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/07/...justin-jordan/

OH, GOD! NOT AGAIN!

They've been okay ... tho I was a bit disappointed with the Patient Zero story (not as gory and explicit as other story arcs and, for me, Crossed just has to be gory and explicit -- that's one of the major things that got everyone to sit up and pay attention) ... Still, maybe it's because Ennis nailed the original story so well it's been a bit tricky for him to match his first instalment -- especially since he never initially intended it to be an ongoing.

I've enjoyed most of the Crossed Badlands stories, especially the ones by David Lapham ... and if you haven't checked out the web series, 'Wish You Were Here', you should ... it's awesome (and free!)

BTW are they still planning on making film adaptations?

BANNED

Guess who's coming to dinner:

Avatar Press Announces Crossed +100 – An Ingenious Future-Set Series By Alan Moore And Gabriel Andrade

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/09/...briel-andrade/