Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Underrated & Overlooked Games

Post here games you feel are Underrated & Overlooked.

first, this game i played back in the PS2 days, Ring Of Red.

It had an alternative history story and strategic combat.

And Star Tropics for the Nintendo. i didn't play this game back in the day but after i saw this video i wish i did.

Spec Ops: The Line
    The gameplay is OK, but the story is amazing
    "There are people. There are stories. The people think they shape the stories, but the reverse is often closer to the truth"

nice to meet ya! master of read's Avatar

rogue galaxy. one of my favorite RPGs and very underappreciated.

Cold_Fear.jpg

A great Resident Evil ripoff. Love the setting. Lots of fun.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by master of read View Post
    rogue galaxy. one of my favorite RPGs and very underappreciated.
    FYI, I got the HD version of this and Dark Cloud 2 for the PS4 on a huge sale last week, and will probably go to town on them after finishing Legend of Heros: Trails In The Sky and the Odin Sphere remake that should be arriving this week.

Already, I nominate Final Fantasy 8. It's got its problems, but once you realize how to properly use its Draw System, and that the whiny Squall is 90+% fanon, then you've got a quality game with likeably fairly likeable characters. Oh, and also ignore the whole Everyone (except Rinoa) Is From The Same Orphanage plot point.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The original Ace Attorney trilogy is underrated or overlooked? From my experience, it is well loved and the most well known part of the whole series, with Phoenix Wright being the face of the series and given crossover appearances in MvC3 and vs. Professor Layton, while Ace Attorney Investigations 2 hasn't even been given an official Western Localization as of yet.

Also, I thought that Spec Ops: The Line having a great story was fairly widely acknowledged. I recall Yahtzee gushing on about it fairly often, in any case.
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 06-05-2016 at 10:49 PM.

Spyro the Dragon.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    Spyro the Dragon.
    Yes, one of my first PlayStation games! Had the chance to play it again at a Computer museum back in Jan and it was as nice as I remember it being back with I was 10 back in '97 when I first played it.

As one of my first PS2 games, Shadow of Memories by Konami, though I believe it was called Shadow of Destiny outside the UK? Anyhoo it was a interesting time travel puzzle game where you had to avert your own death(s) by using time travel, going from the present to the 80's, 1901 and the 1580's in some grand European city. There were some nice mechanics like each era having its own feel - the 1902 era was in black and white like an old photograph, whilst the medieval era had a beautiful tapestry texture to the light. Oh and you could run into ancestors of people you knew in the present, and cause paradoxes, and help a genie monster who was also the Philosophers Stone... yeah it was kind of kooky but I liked it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    The original Ace Attorney trilogy is underrated or overlooked? From my experience, it is well loved and the most well known part of the whole series, with Phoenix Wright being the face of the series and given crossover appearances in MvC3 and vs. Professor Layton, while Ace Attorney Investigations 2 hasn't even been given an official Western Localization as of yet.
    The series in general. Investigations 2 didn't get localized and neither did the other spin-off game The Great Ace Attorney. Well loved the series doesn't sell well enough for Capcom to sell the games at retail anymore. The trilogy collection, Duel Destinies and the upcoming Spirit of Justice are digital only titles in North America.

I disagree about Ace Attorney. I feel it gets a lot of love and never is overlooked.

I would say Tekken from Tekken 1 to Tekken Tag. I would also add Mario Party 2, Crash Bandicoot 2-3 and Crash Team Racing and of course Gran Turismo 1-4. I feel they don't get the love but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    I disagree about Ace Attorney. I feel it gets a lot of love and never is overlooked.

I would say Tekken from Tekken 1 to Tekken Tag. I would also add Mario Party 2, Crash Bandicoot 2-3 and Crash Team Racing and of course Gran Turismo 1-4. I feel they don't get the love but I could be wrong.
    The Naughty Dog Crash games get ton of love. For many fans the series fell off when they stopped making the games. Depending on who you ask, Crash Team Racing is the best kart racer ever. I am one of those people.

Tekken is still popular. Tekken 3/Tag tournament are the favorite of most old school fans. Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection on that level too.

Penumbra: Black Plague - Everyone's heard of Amnesia: The Dark Descent these days but not that many people go back and check out Frictional's previous efforts. Black Plague is very much the precursor to Amnesia gameplay wise, but in my opinion has a far more interesting story.

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series - Not that unknown but I feel like this game nailed the smaller open world FPS thing way before it started to become a trend, and really still hasn't been topped yet(though it's a shame these games are so buggy).

Condemned: Criminal Origins - A very good first person horror game with an emphasis on melee combat. It won't win any awards for it's story but it was interesting enough and the combat was brutal, probably one of the few worthwhile launch games of the 360/PS3 era.

Miasmata - An obscure little indie game on steam back from when greenlight first came about. A survival game back before the genre became over saturated, featuring a monster but with no way to combat it, a focus on finding plants to cure your disease(and complete the game, it actually does have an end), and a cartography system to map out the island your stuck on.

Gun point from steam, really good game salute to <elevator action> but with a PUZ+platform way, BGM also very classic with Jazz and fusion jazz.
    Nick.Kuh, Chinese retro gamer and mortal kombat kollector.

Trap Gunner/Runner for the PS1.

While not the most deep game in any sense of the word I dropped a lot of hours into the game back in the day.

Oh and the Breath of Fire franchise...pretty much a ton of Capcom's IPs like Rival Schools, Darkstalkers etc.