Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

I think the two Amazing Spider-Man video games were kind of underrated. They had a fun story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    Wowwowwowwowwow wow wow wow, wow.

That's the kind of reaction that makes me think the game is underrated. There was a lot of love and effort poured into developing that game, lots of ambition, maybe too much because that game is certainly an incomplete product with need of greater polish.
    I played USM, then this, then Spider-Man 2, and I'm glad I didn't play Spider-Man 2 first, otherwise I'd have the initial reaction of disappointment from Spider-Man 3 being a step in the wrong direction all over the place.

It certainly made a number of wrong moves, but it also made some improvements over Spider-Man 2, for one thing you don't have to go through the compulsory "collect N thousand points, do x amount of menial tasks, and buy upgrades A, B, and C to progress in the story"

And how is suspending 5 thugs at once by just webbing and jumping, from multiple flagpoles/lampposts at once boring compared to "attack, web, jump" pattern to suspend someone?
    Or how does "Spider-Man, Spider-Man, there is that one person high above me you need to see, but you couldn't see while swinging because you needed to descend to talk to me to hear about him instead of immediately seeing him cause programmers said so. And be wary of time limit." not annoy or have a negative reputation?

SM2 and USM has the variety of street tasks SM3 lacks, so its a step down for that game in that department, but hammering a sword holding ninja is not boring, standing on a stop sign post held by a big guy to drop him down is not boring, pulling a boss up in black suit rage mode to hit him/her is not boring, seeing thugs and bosses scared after the annihilator, or try to stand and fall because of shaken knees is not boring, dropping gang members in water or just swimming there waiting for them to jump after you while they drown and you don't is not boring, launch attack from a flagpole swing is not boring. Hanging on the back of a flying bomber (I wish you could do this more than just one stage) to make him hit the wall or just travel on his back is -dare I say the word describing this infamous game- fun.
    Taking Harry for a spin through the city and fight him anywhere I can access during free roam (except the Daily Bugle office) is fun.

The game is a lot of fun, it's certainly better than SM2 and USM in a lot of respects, the good in it is strangely overlooked despite how much there is, and that game offers A LOT of that, but all over the internet over 70% of what I see when this game is discussed is "boring, bad, crap, lame successor to SM2 and USM, what a waste of time and resources, water down version of Spider-Man 2...."
    And what's worse is Spider-Man 2 is often showered with more praise than it deserves, it's good, it's a fun Spidey experience, and near definitive, but it's a somewhat overrated game with a ridiculously underrated sequel.
    The game is a step down from the two games that came before it in every way possible. The gameplay also didn't feel anywhere near as good.

It's not a lot fun, it's incredibly boring, I think it might have been the Kingpin part of that game that was one of the worst parts I've played in a modern game. It's a game for nobody but the most hardcore of Spider-Man (or comic book) fans, that don't care about the quality of the game itself as long as they get a new Spider-Man thing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    I think the two Amazing Spider-Man video games were kind of underrated. They had a fun story.
    Than watch the movies, you won't have to deal with the gameplay that way.

Quote Originally Posted by simbob4000 View Post
    The game is a step down from the two games that came before it in every way possible. The gameplay also didn't feel anywhere near as good.

It's not a lot fun, it's incredibly boring, I think it might have been the Kingpin part of that game that was one of the worst parts I've played in a modern game. It's a game for nobody but the most hardcore of Spider-Man (or comic book) fans, that don't care about the quality of the game itself as long as they get a new Spider-Man thing.
    The anger, the frustration.

I know neither of us will change the views of the other guy toward this game, but I will just continue shaking my head over the STRONG negative reception this game continues to receive from people all over the map.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

BANNED

The anger, the frustration.

I know neither of us will change the views of the other guy toward this game, but I will just continue shaking my head over the STRONG negative reception this game continues to receive from people all over the map.
    You shouldn't, they're right, the game is terrible. It's just for whatever reason, probably because it has Spider-Man in it, that this doesn't bother you. But that doesn't change how completely horrible the game is.

Sleeping Dogs. Great story, badass protagonist in Wei Shen and of course Hong Kong as your playground.

Note: Don't read the comments if you haven't played the game ^
    Last edited by Séb; 06-18-2016 at 04:45 PM.

BANNED

Wasn't Sleeping Dogs thought of pretty well on release?

You shouldn't, they're right, the game is terrible. It's just for whatever reason, probably because it has Spider-Man in it, that this doesn't bother you. But that doesn't change how completely horrible the game is.
    HYPERBOLE TO THE MAAAX.
    It's an underrated game, if it was as half as bad as everyone said I wouldn't bother mentioning it here.

If I liked it just cause Spider-Man is in it, I'd just say I like Amazing Spider-Man 2 game, Spider-Man 3 on PS2, or Spider-Man 2 on PC, those are bad, but I enjoy them cause they have Spider-Man as the playable character in them, I wouldn't go out of my way and defend them. I like USM cartoon despite how awful season 1 is, I wouldn't defend it.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE

BANNED

the punisher that was a great game and violent as hell. Germany banned the game because of the violence

The-Punisher-Free-Download3.jpg

^ Agree that The Punisher was an amazing game (has there ever been a more joyous set-piece of pure carnage than interrupting the Gnucci funeral? I think not), but I wouldn't call it underrated or overlooked. Everyone I've ever heard speak of it has only nice things to say.
    The X-Books Board is wretched and does not deserve the Domino Appreciation Thread.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    ^ Agree that The Punisher was an amazing game (has there ever been a more joyous set-piece of pure carnage than interrupting the Gnucci funeral? I think not), but I wouldn't call it underrated or overlooked. Everyone I've ever heard speak of it has only nice things to say.
    Except Germany.

As for overlooked, sales numbers indicate that Psychonauts, Okami, and Beyond Good and Evil should be here.

And as a Zelda fan, I'll nominate Wind Waker when it first came out, due to a lot of players being turned off by the art style (which has aged extremely well compared to OoT's and MM's more realistic style) and the travel times, and Twilight Princess which a lot of fans claim is amongst the worst Zelda's in the series, though sans nostalgia filter I'd place it as being better than OoT in many aspects. TP definitely has better combat, at least a comparable story, and, even as someone who actually likes Navi, by far the best partner that Link ever had in the form of Midna. Also the second best Ganon/dorf battle, behind only Wind Walker's, and I'd say that the fight against Zelda portion in TP was better than the Puppet Ganon portion in WW.

BANNED

HYPERBOLE TO THE MAAAX.
    It's an underrated game, if it was as half as bad as everyone said I wouldn't bother mentioning it here.

If I liked it just cause Spider-Man is in it, I'd just say I like Amazing Spider-Man 2 game, Spider-Man 3 on PS2, or Spider-Man 2 on PC, those are bad, but I enjoy them cause they have Spider-Man as the playable character in them, I wouldn't go out of my way and defend them. I like USM cartoon despite how awful season 1 is, I wouldn't defend it.
    There's zero hyperbole in my words. It's a completely horrible video game. There's nothing underrated about the game, it's pure garbage; it's a bad game on its own, and it's worse than the two Spider-Man games that came before it on top of that. The combat isn't as good, the controls aren't good, theres terrible level layouts, and the boss battles are some of the most tedious around. Spider-Man 3 is also a bad game you just enjoy because it has Spider-Man, maybe those other games are even worst, but that doesn't makes Spider-Man no less terrible. Of all the games I played on the 360 & PS3, and there have been many, Spider-Man 3 was easily one of the worst.

Now, Ultimate Spider-Man might be something that could be called underrated. That game, unlike Spider-Man 3, actually does play good. But Ultimate kind of got shit on at release because it didn't have the web swinging where your web had to actually hit something to work like Spider-Man 2.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTheCylon View Post
    There's not really any carnage there. You want carnage, play the first two Soldier of Fortune games on PC. I've a feeling we'll sadly never get anything so awesome again. Those could probably fall into the underrated and overlooked camp too. They're definitely overlooked, they're the most violent video games ever made, but they almost never even come up when places dealing in video games draw up a list of the most violent games of all time.

BANNED

Breakdown

The Japanese First Person Shooter from Namco for the original Xbox. The game's first person melee combat is still unmatched, sadly. It's first person presentation was also basically unmatched too until the new Far Cry games came along.

There's zero hyperbole in my words. It's a completely horrible video game. There's nothing underrated about the game, it's pure garbage; it's a bad game on its own, and it's worse than the two Spider-Man games that came before it on top of that. The combat isn't as good, the controls aren't good, theres terrible level layouts, and the boss battles are some of the most tedious around. Spider-Man 3 is also a bad game you just enjoy because it has Spider-Man, maybe those other games are even worst, but that doesn't makes Spider-Man no less terrible. Of all the games I played on the 360 & PS3, and there have been many, Spider-Man 3 was easily one of the worst.

I think I'll stop talking about Spider-Man games in this thread.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE