Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I am a diamond, Ms. Pryde millernumber1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powertool View Post
    In my defence, since I've been following the series in its Italian translation I didn't know what the character was called in the original (in Italian she's Zucche-R-O).
    Ah. I'm talking about the bubble gum popping Robin "Oracle" type character who showed up in the finale.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    I doubt that they will get more than cameo apparences as long as Duke doesn't have a solo, and I don't really see that they are added to Gotham Academy, that doesn't really need more characters on the team and that will based on the sales probaly anyway not keep going very long.
    I would be okay with cameos, though I think they're pretty cool, and deserve to be more. I have to admit that I just don't care about Gotham Academy anymore - it was a hard sell in the first place, and this new series lost me hard. But I love Riko and co, so if they showed up, I would totally read that.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Maybe they'll appear as witnesses during Alfred trial
    What trial? Did I miss something?

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    The ONLY point of "We Are Robin" was to push Duke. I think the other kids were throwaways. Wouldn't mind seeing some of them again if done right, though.
    I don't think they were completely throwaways - Brian Buccellato used them in the Detective Comics Endgame one shot, and Bermejo did at least one issue focusing on each of them.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston
    "All that is not eternal is eternally out of date." C. S. Lewis, The Four Loves
    "There's room in our line of work for hope, too." Stephanie Brown
    Stephanie Brown Wiki, My Batman Universe Reviews, Stephanie Brown Discord

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by millernumber1 View Post
    I would be okay with cameos, though I think they're pretty cool, and deserve to be more.
    The problem is imo just that they are like Duke a little bit redundant, Dre and Dax came for example a little bit of as Jason and Roy light, and Izzy is imo quite similar to Renee Montoya. And Riko is quite similar to Maps (they made iirc even fun of that in the robin War Tie in).

I would be okay with cameos, though I think they're pretty cool, and deserve to be more. I have to admit that I just don't care about Gotham Academy anymore - it was a hard sell in the first place, and this new series lost me hard. But I love Riko and co, so if they showed up, I would totally read that.
    What were your issues with Gotham Academy, if you don't mind me asking?

What trial? Did I miss something?
    I think he was referring to any kind of fallout from Alfred forming the WAR group and sending these kids into dangerous situations, which as far as I can tell never happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    The problem is imo just that they are like Duke a little bit redundant, Dre and Dax came for example a little bit of as Jason and Roy light, and Izzy is imo quite similar to Renee Montoya. And Riko is quite similar to Maps (they made iirc even fun of that in the robin War Tie in).
    Hmm. I personally really liked the little bits of backstory we got from each of the We Are Robin kids - they never really seemed like copies of each other. But I'm bad at noticing repeated character types, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    What were your issues with Gotham Academy, if you don't mind me asking?

I think he was referring to any kind of fallout from Alfred forming the WAR group and sending these kids into dangerous situations, which as far as I can tell never happened.
    I think the biggest problem for me is that I really don't like Olive. I get why her situation is sympathetic, but I just don't like her. She sucks the life and fun out of all the other characters, even Maps. If the series was about Maps and Ryan, and Olive was the gloomy friend they have to cheer up (sort of like how Pomeline functions now), I'd be more okay with it. (It's also possible that I was hoping for more Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane types of tone and plots, which it definitely is not).

Ah, yes, that makes sense. Alfred's culpability really highlights how poorly Bermejo thought things through, despite his avowed intention to tell a more realistic story about teen sidekicks. Alfred's method of training makes Batman's training of Stephanie as Robin look positively psychologically healthy. Instead of demonstrating trust and training responsiveness to his instructions, he is deceptive, leading Troy to distrust the order to abandon the bomb (which wouldn't have killed anyone if he'd just left). (Also, still bitter about Troy's death.) There was a hint that there would be instruction, but the series was so poorly paced and structured that they ended up just getting a truck full of gear, while still having to face down Talons, which is completely ridiculous. I really, really wish someone else had gotten the writing gig for that series - the concept is amazing, and it could have been a story fondly remembered by a large number of people. Instead, I think we got some great characters, some decent art, and a story that only a few remember at all.
    "We're the same thing, you and I. We're both lies that eventually became the truth." Lara Notsil, Star Wars: X-Wing: Solo Command, Aaron Allston

Extraordinary Member

Hmm. I personally really liked the little bits of backstory we got from each of the We Are Robin kids - they never really seemed like copies of each other. But I'm bad at noticing repeated character types, I think.
    Dax is a goofy gadget guy, Dre is a grumply looner with agression problems.

Based on the background you could maybe even argue, that Dre has similarities with Huntress.

The characters are not bad and work fine for a We Are Robin series, but I don't think that they would make a intersting addition to the Batfamily.

Personally, I'd like to see them return. Not as a disorganized street gang, though. The latest issue of Detective Comics started with a flashback to Tim Drake reacting to Bruce's idea forging an actual team, and then describing the potential he saw in the idea; it was a very enticing vision he outlined, and I'd love to see it implemented at some point with the WAR kids as an integral part of it.

Of course, such a thing would fundamentally transform Gotham; so I can't see the Bat department actually allowing it to be successfully implemented. But if they did manage it, oh what a story that would be!
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    Personally, I'd like to see them return. Not as a disorganized street gang, though. The latest issue of Detective Comics started with a flashback to Tim Drake reacting to Bruce's idea forging an actual team, and then describing the potential he saw in the idea; it was a very enticing vision he outlined, and I'd love to see it implemented at some point with the WAR kids as an integral part of it.

Of course, such a thing would fundamentally transform Gotham; so I can't see the Bat department actually allowing it to be successfully implemented. But if they did manage it, oh what a story that would be!
    I would love to just see people bringing Dax, Dre, and Riko in as older characters, doing good on their own, and thinking, "I used to be Robin." Sort of like Harper now, but maybe a bit less screentime.