Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    Matt Bomer please. He's a fan, and he's voiced Superman before, and he's a good actor.

http://www.emmys.com/sites/default/f...?itok=4sY4Y3km
    I heard the only reason Matt Bomer wasn't cast in Man of Steel is because he is Gay. Greg Berlanti is also Gay, so having a Gay man play Superman on TV shouldn't be a problem.

Meh.

I guess this isn't a huge surprise, considering the monumental sausagefest that is the CW/DC'verse.

"Hey, you know that one DCU show we have with a female lead? What can we do to launch it on the CW?"

"How about making the start of the new season all about a male character?"

"Brilliant!"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I heard the only reason Matt Bomer wasn't cast in Man of Steel is because he is Gay. Greg Berlanti is also Gay, so having a Gay man play Superman on TV shouldn't be a problem.
    And where, exactly, did you hear that? Because unless there's some actual tape of Snyder saying it, then it's nothing but malicious rumor without a hint of support. Because the simple fact that Bomer (A) is gay and (B) did not get the role in Man of Steel doesn't even begin to move the meter on the suggestion that he didn't get the role because he's gay.

And, for what it's worth, not only was Bomer previously cast to voice Superman in the Superman: Unbound animated feature that came out a few years ago, but he was also the leading contender to play the role in the live action Superman feature that was under development to be directed by Brett Ratner in the early 2000s. But when Ratner left the project, it was scrapped. Superman then went back into a redevelopment cycle that eventually resulted in Superman Returns. So the suggestion that WB/DC had a problem with a gay man playing Superman doesn't really jibe with the actual evidence. Although if someone wants to try and make the case that Bryan Singer didn't give Bomer the role in Returns because Bomer is gay . . . well, good luck with that one.
    Last edited by kalorama; 06-07-2016 at 07:55 AM. Reason: typo

Retired

If it's just for some guest appearances, and not as an ongoing supporting character on Kara's show, then it ought to be Brandon Routh.

He's right there doing LEGENDS OF TOMORROW--so it's easy for him to just walk over and shoot some scenes for SUPERGIRL. And it works with the whole multiple Earths idea they've established on THE FLASH and SUPERGIRL. People can look the same but be totally different on each Earth.

It makes the most sense. Tom Welling would be good, too--but the operating theory on these shows is that an actor will always turn up in a role different from what they played before--as with Laura Vandervoort on SUPERGIRL or Christopher Reeve on SMALLVILLE or John Wesley Shipp on THE FLASH.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly
    People can look the same but be totally different on each Earth.
    Not really. You're talking about having one character from another universe look the same as another character that's not even supposed to be their doppleganger. Routh Superman and Routh Atom are two guys who look alike but don't share a name, powers or even similarities in origins.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 06-07-2016 at 01:51 AM.

BANNED

We''ll never see him in costume, just his face so that Kara can get a contrived explanation for his eventual permanent absence, then he'll fly away.

BANNED

Tom Welling. He owe us a Superman appearence.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    I'm not always anti-entitlement, but this is an interesting view

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vworp Vworp View Post
    Meh.

I guess this isn't a huge surprise, considering the monumental sausagefest that is the CW/DC'verse.

"Hey, you know that one DCU show we have with a female lead? What can we do to launch it on the CW?"

"How about making the start of the new season all about a male character?"

"Brilliant!"
    I think you're making too big a deal out of this. It's a guest appearance. He's not exactly taking over the show. For one thing, they barely have the budget for her special effects. Two Super-people flying around every episode would bankrupt the show. Like I said, my theory is, this will involve the pod somehow and Superman leaving Earth for a time leaving her in charge. The show came under a lot of criticism in the first season for referencing Superman too much. Taking him out of the picture early in the second season would eliminate that problem.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    He doesn't "owe" us anything. The show was never meant to be about him being Superman. And I don't get this desire to have all these old actors reprise their roles as Superman. Other than creating confusion in the minds of casual viewers who don't get that the two shows aren't connected. This is a whole new universe. Let's move on.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    He doesn't "owe" us anything. The show was never meant to be about him being Superman. And I don't get this desire to have all these old actors reprise their roles as Superman. Other than creating confusion in the minds of casual viewers who don't get that the two shows aren't connected. This is a whole new universe. Let's move on.
    With that logic John Wesley Shipp should have never become Flash in the current series, heck there are even pictures of him in his old Flash uniform every time the current Flash travels through the multiverse. The reality is Smallville has a huge following, there was even a great Smallville magazine when the series was coming out that is pretty scarce now, multiple Facebook pages dedicated to the series and various couple ships, youtube is full of Smallville fan videos, discussion boards still ongoing about the series, online groups of fans still making DVDs watchatons. Tom Welling still has a huge following of fans that always wanted to see him as Superman proper. He has said on multiple interviews that he was fine with donning the costume and the truth was the series NEVER did a costume fit for him, they simply used Brandon Routh's Superman Returns costume. At that time Smallville was a series on the closing the story of teenage Clark Kent that has been extended for many extra years because of its popularity, a huge part due to Tom Welling charisma, something I believe both Routh and Cavill lack. Why deny the fans that faithfully followed the show for ten years in the exact same network the pleasure of seeing their Clark Kent actor finally become Superman proper in this new universe?

But the greatest thing is he is willing to do it and available right now. https://youtu.be/-ktejkWqqoA?t=150

Last edited by Thor-El; 06-07-2016 at 09:05 AM.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    With that logic John Wesley Shipp should have never become Flash in the current series, heck there are even pictures of him in his old Flash uniform every time the current Flash travels through the multiverse. The reality is Smallville has a huge following, there was even a great Smallville magazine when the series was coming out that is pretty scarce now, multiple Facebook pages dedicated to the series and various couple ships, youtube is full of Smallville fan videos, discussion boards still ongoing about the series, online groups of fans still making DVDs watchatons. Tom Welling still has a huge following of fans that always wanted to see him as Superman proper. He has said on multiple interviews that he was fine with donning the costume and the truth was the series NEVER did a costume fit for him, they simply used Brandon Routh's Superman Returns costume. At that time Smallville was a series on the closing the story of teenage Clark Kent that has been extended for many extra years because of its popularity, a huge part due to Tom Welling charisma, something I believe both Routh and Cavill lack. Why deny the fans that faithfully followed the show for ten years in the exact same network the pleasure of seeing their Clark Kent actor finally become Superman proper in this new universe?

But the greatest thing is he is willing to do it and available right now. https://youtu.be/-ktejkWqqoA?t=150

I think he would be a good superman even if he was never on Smallville. But while Matt Bomer is smaller he definetly has more of that boyish superman look and charm. Plus him being openly gay was rumored to be why he wasnt cast in MoS, WB can put that to bed and cast him now for these cameos.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I think he would be a good superman even if he was never on Smallville. But while Matt Bomer is smaller he definetly has more of that boyish superman look and charm. Plus him being openly gay was rumored to be why he wasnt cast in MoS, WB can put that to bed and cast him now for these cameos.
    Matt Bomer was awesome in the last season of American Horror but I don't think he has what it takes to be Superman, Bomer is too ectomorph and Ramsey, Routh and even Amell would tower next to him, he would be perfect for Hal Jordan/Green Lantern though.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Matt Bomer was awesome in the last season of American Horror but I don't think he has what it takes to be Superman, Bomer is too ectomorph and Ramsey, Routh and even Am
    ell would tower next to him, he would be perfect for Hal Jordan/Green Lantern though.
    CFeAT7CWMAE3ZGn.jpg

I dont see anyone in the CW shows towering over that except diggle maybe. That guys arms are huge

Welling look wise will always be my first choice but hes looks older now in the face. Bomer is also more charming as an actor, i loved him in White Collar.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 06-07-2016 at 10:21 AM.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    CFeAT7CWMAE3ZGn.jpg

I dont see anyone in the CW shows towering over that except diggle maybe. That guys arms are huge

Welling look wise will always be my first choice but hes looks older now in the face. Bomer is also more charming as an actor, i loved him in White Collar.
    That's a shirtless pic by himself, for one thing his back is not as broad, put him next to other actors and he looks like a smaller frame dude. there's not much you can do about your bone structure in bodybuilding. He has done a good job but he is no Superman.

Last edited by Thor-El; 06-07-2016 at 10:32 AM.