Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I guess I'm just sick and tired of this attitude that says Welling "owes" us an appearance in the costume. As if anyone who ever worked on a "geek" type show "owes" the fans everything they want. The entitlement is what gets me. He doesn't "owe" us anything. And the idea that he, or anyone who makes the things we like, is required to give us everything that we ask for is exactly why the outside world hates geek culture or, at the very least, doesn't want to join us.

The show's been off the air for five years. I'm kind of ready to move on. Having him show up as another character as an homage to his legacy of Superman is one thing, but having him take over the role is just treading over old ground. Berlanti and the others are doing us favors by inviting all these actors from all these old super-hero shows on as little winks to that character's legacy. But we aren't entitled to have them show up. Linda Carter as the president would have been nice but I don't think she "owes" us an appearance on Supergirl. If Welling wants to do it, great. But he certainly doesn't "owe" us anything.

I would get Goeff Stultz who was in the show "Seventh Heaven". Big blond blue eyes guy. Dye his hair black and you have Superman.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I guess I'm just sick and tired of this attitude that says Welling "owes" us an appearance in the costume. As if anyone who ever worked on a "geek" type show "owes" the fans everything they want. The entitlement is what gets me. He doesn't "owe" us anything. And the idea that he, or anyone who makes the things we like, is required to give us everything that we ask for is exactly why the outside world hates geek culture or, at the very least, doesn't want to join us.

The show's been off the air for five years. I'm kind of ready to move on. Having him show up as another character as an homage to his legacy of Superman is one thing, but having him take over the role is just treading over old ground. Berlanti and the others are doing us favors by inviting all these actors from all these old super-hero shows on as little winks to that character's legacy. But we aren't entitled to have them show up. Linda Carter as the president would have been nice but I don't think she "owes" us an appearance on Supergirl. If Welling wants to do it, great. But he certainly doesn't "owe" us anything.
    Yes, with that I agree, he doesn't owes us anything. But 5 years off the air for a show that ended in 2011 is nothing, he is still fresh in the minds of everyone with a huge fanbase that wants to see him take on the part and he seems to be interested so I don't see the problem. And the heavy emphasis on the Multiverse these new CW series are spinning makes the argument of a previous show confusing viewers a moot point.

Welling on playing Superman on Supergirl https://youtu.be/-ktejkWqqoA?t=150

Last edited by Thor-El; 06-07-2016 at 12:58 PM.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Astonishing Member

God, there would never be a better place for a slightly 'older' Superman to turn up in the form of casting Jon Hamm than here. Shell out those bucks, CW, I want SuperHamm.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Poor Supergirl, moving to a new network and the first news that pops is that we are going to get MORE Superman. And this time around he will actually be seen.

I think this is a lie and the person on the pod is going to be Halk Kar, Supes "older brother."

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    That's a shirtless pic by himself, for one thing his back is not as broad, put him next to other actors and he looks like a smaller frame dude. there's not much you can do about your bone structure in bodybuilding. He has done a good job but he is no Superman.

People with bigger frames put on muscle mass easier but simply working out your chest and shoulders can increase the appearance of your frame dramaticaly. Look at Jackman when hes not in wolverine shape and when he is. Hes gets his shoulders and chest jacked and it makes him appear to have a much larger frame. Also Joe Magniello makes everyone look small. Put Bomer in a pic with Arrow and Flash and he looks fine. Bomer has a skinny neck and face makes him seem smaller then he is. Amell has a thick next making him seem bigger.

None that matter hes only gonna be next to supergirl characters and Bomer is much bigger then Benoist. Like I said look wise welling is perfect, Bomer just alot more charming as an actor. Both these actors are a possibility I dont see John Hamm making a small Cameo on a CW show lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I dont see anyone in the CW shows towering over that except diggle maybe. That guys arms are huge

Welling look wise will always be my first choice but hes looks older now in the face. Bomer is also more charming as an actor, i loved him in White Collar.
    I think they might want to go with someone taller for Superman though. Melissa Benoist is 5'8. Matt Bomer is 6'0, only 4 inches taller. And with the heels on her boots, Supergirl would be almost as tall as Superman unless they put Superman in high heel boots. Even Henry Cavill would be sort of a short Superman standing next to Supergirl. Tom Welling is 6'3, so he does have the height going for him. I suppose they could use trick camera angles though. David Harewood is also 6'0, but seems a lot taller as Martian Manhunter. Plus in this story line Superman is around 35 years old, so Tom Welling would be right for playing an older Superman.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I think they might want to go with someone taller for Superman though. Melissa Benoist is 5'8. Matt Bomer is 6'0, only 4 inches taller. And with the heels on her boots, Supergirl would be almost as tall as Superman unless they put Superman in high heel boots. Even Henry Cavill would be sort of a short Superman standing next to Supergirl. Tom Welling is 6'3, so he does have the height going for him. I suppose they could use trick camera angles though. David Harewood is also 6'0, but seems a lot taller as Martian Manhunter. Plus in this story line Superman is around 35 years old, so Tom Welling would be right for playing an older Superman.
    Pretty sure canvil is gonna end up being smaller then everyone in justice league except flash and WW. Superman where boots too so hes not loosing any of that 4inches to that and when hes clark he will probaly be hunched over and unassuming anyway. Again like i said before Welling for me look wise is thee perfect superman, even if he was never on Smallville he just has that look. I highly doubt it gonna be a very physical role though. He gonna come and then they will come up with a reason we will never see him again. Probaly give supergirl a pep talk or two. And I just think Bomer is better at being charming, which would work well for supes. And hes big enough that it wouldnt be an issue. If only we could combine the two.

If supermans 35 shouldnt he look like 25 not his actual age? Either way when he dyes the grey s and shaves Welling looks plenty young still.

Mighty Member

Most important the actor is going to play opposite Mehcad Brooks' Jimmy who is 6'3" and pretty built. I also think this Superman is not going to be exclusive of Supergirl, hopefully the other shows will use him too and who knows it might lead to his own series. For sure we will eventually see him appear in Flash and LOT.
    Last edited by Thor-El; 06-07-2016 at 06:57 PM.
    My art main influences are Richard Corben, Frank Frazetta and John Buscema. For old school comic book heroes with an edge check out my patreon

Am really excited about this!
    Have always wanted to see Supergirl and Superman together in either a TV series or movie.
    If done right I think this is going to be super *winks*

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    They could change the costume slightly for Melissa Benoist without her having to have heels on her boots.
    That way the actor they'll cast as Superman will look the right height along side her in the TV series.
    IMHO Tom Welling would be good in the role.
    Can't help but wonder if Henry Cavill might be appearing in the series.
    That would be super! *winks*
    Last edited by Lois; 06-07-2016 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El View Post
    Most important the actor is going to play opposite Mehcad Brooks' Jimmy who is 6'3" and pretty built. I also think this Superman is not going to be exclusive of Supergirl, hopefully the other shows will use him too and who knows it might lead to his own series. For sure we will eventually see him appear in Flash and LOT.
    It'll be very interesting to see what actors they'll be choosing to cast as Superman.
    Am thinking this is what they might have in mind for a possible upcoming Superman TV series, having Superman appear at first in Supergirl and then go on to appear in his own series.
    More me this would be absolutely super!

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm delightfully surprised that they're finally going through with showing Superman on Supergirl, since I didn't think they would ever outright show him. I hope Lois isn't far behind .

Looking forward to seeing who they cast, how the show will characterize Clark, his interaction with Kara and her supporting cast (especially Cat and J'onn), if we'll see him in-suit, and what his role in the first two episodes will be.

I really hope we get to see Superman and Supergirl flying together .

I don't think they're going to do anything like de-power or kill him off via Death of Superman, since it's already established that he's given Kara a lot of freedom to be the sole hero National City and he's always busy with other disasters. I imagine this will just likely setup his visiting National City every now and then to check in on his cousin in person or the occasional Superman guest-appearance .

Though I wonder if this might end up tieing into a possible fusion of Supergirl's Earth with Arrowverse Earth-1?
    Also hope to see Lois on board too.
    And to see Supergirl and Superman flying together in the series would be super too!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    He doesn't "owe" us anything. The show was never meant to be about him being Superman. And I don't get this desire to have all these old actors reprise their roles as Superman. Other than creating confusion in the minds of casual viewers who don't get that the two shows aren't connected. This is a whole new universe. Let's move on.
    That's your piece of view. In IMDB, however, it was stated clearly in an answer to question to the FQA section of Smallville that Superman would make a full appearence during the last 10 minutes of the final episode of the show.
    Later info, however stated that Welling never appeared as Superman because he thought the costume was ridiculous and he refused to appear dressed as Superman.
    I agree with the ''move on'' comment but only if old debts are paid.
    Last edited by Minerboh; 06-07-2016 at 09:27 PM.

Amazing Member

I like the idea of bringing in Tom Weilling. It fits in with the show's homages to past Super-shows with the castings of Helen Slater and Dean Cain.

At least it won't be Henry Cavill. At first it really bugged me that DC wasn't making their TV shows and movies be in the same universe (the tie-in between Winter Soldier and SHIELD a few years back was really well done). But after seeing the depressing shit-show that was BvS, I'm actually very glad. I will never watch another Zack Snyder superhero movie and while I like Henry Cavill as an actor in general, his character will never be Superman to me.