Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    26,256

    Default Poll: Are You Ready for "Supergirl" To Introduce Superman?

    Are You Ready for "Supergirl" To Introduce Superman?

    Is the time right for "Supergirl" to add Kara Zor-El's famous cousin to its cast?


    Vote on the poll here.

  2. #2
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    Everyone that thinks that Superman will overshadow anyone on a show that is called "Supergirl" just doesn't understand the realities of good storytelling. There are tons of good excuses why Superman won't be coming in to save the day every time Kara gets into a little trouble. Parent's don't go to schools and follow their kids around because they are being bullied. The only way for someone to get stronger is for them to handle situations on their own.

    There is a reason why in the comics for over 40 years characters don't suddenly pop up and save the day in every other characters comics. That isn't what real people do.

    This is good because it opens the door for more characters to join the DC Arrow-verse. So we can get proper versions of those characters, and not what WB wants to spoon feed us in the movies.

  3. #3
    Death becomes you Osiris-Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Memphis
    Posts
    6,996

    Default

    The only problem I can see is that we may get a TV Superman that is so fantastic and wonderful that people will start realizing just how bad the MoS and BvS Superman was and start to want that kind of Superman in the movies. Which will make the mopey, sad Superman that will be in the Justice League movie an even harder sell.

  4. #4
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    There is a reason why in the comics for over 40 years characters don't suddenly pop up and save the day in every other characters comics. That isn't what real people do..
    Actually the reason is to tell stories about the title character. But I do think that Supergirl as a show should be moving away from Superman rather than toward him

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,879

    Default

    His absence in the last season was felt. I don't see how Kara can deal with a horse of kyrptonians and world ending catastrophes and not have Clark show up.

  6. #6
    Mighty Member Minerboh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,705

    Default

    Can't wait!!!

  7. #7
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    I don't see how Kara can deal with a horse of kyrptonians and world ending catastrophes and not have Clark show up.
    I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on why not. Also, do you think Clark couldn't deal with those things without having Kara show up?

  8. #8
    Mighty Member Minerboh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    Actually the reason is to tell stories about the title character. But I do think that Supergirl as a show should be moving away from Superman rather than toward him
    I do not think that a couple of guest appearences will hurt. If we take into account the entire tenure of Smallville then i would safely say that they owe us an appearence.

  9. #9
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,158

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    I do not think that a couple of guest appearences will hurt. If we take into account the entire tenure of Smallville then i would safely say that they owe us an appearence.
    The over arching theme of season one was kara finding her own identity and individuality apart from that of her world renowned cousin. Every time you bring him into the story, you detract from the title character. It's like trying to do a story about Robin breaking out on his own but having Batman show up every half dozen episodes. You dilute the point of the show.

  10. #10
    Mighty Member Minerboh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    1,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    The over arching theme of season one was kara finding her own identity and individuality apart from that of her world renowned cousin. Every time you bring him into the story, you detract from the title character. It's like trying to do a story about Robin breaking out on his own but having Batman show up every half dozen episodes. You dilute the point of the show.
    In Batman Beyond, Superman made an appearence. Did that hurt the character at all? No.
    If they do the same here, then i do not think that he overshadow Kara at all.

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    The only problem I can see is that we may get a TV Superman that is so fantastic and wonderful that people will start realizing just how bad the MoS and BvS Superman was and start to want that kind of Superman in the movies. Which will make the mopey, sad Superman that will be in the Justice League movie an even harder sell.
    This is true. Superman's last couple of TV incarnations - Smallville, Lois & Clark - have been pretty decent so comparisons to the film will be inevitable, especially if the TV version is better.

  12. #12
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    6,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AJBopp View Post
    The over arching theme of season one was kara finding her own identity and individuality apart from that of her world renowned cousin. Every time you bring him into the story, you detract from the title character. It's like trying to do a story about Robin breaking out on his own but having Batman show up every half dozen episodes. You dilute the point of the show.
    I agree, to an extent, which is why I think it's a fair bet that the two-part opener will end in a way that makes it pretty clear to the audience that the chances of Superman returning to the show later on will be slim to none.

  13. #13
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    6,458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    In Batman Beyond, Superman made an appearence. Did that hurt the character at all? No.
    If they do the same here, then i do not think that he overshadow Kara at all.
    That's not the same thing though, as the future version of Batman was never Superman's protege and wasn't trying to escape the shadow of Superman's legacy. They didn't have the kind of intertwined character relationship that exists between Supergirl and Superman. In the analogy that you're trying to make, it would be the original Batmanwhose presence on the show could have the same effect that Superman could have on Supergirl's show. And Batman Beyond addressed that effect head on by making Bruce Wayne 80+ years old and physically incapable of being Batman anymore. So while Bruce Wayne was part of the show, the "real" Batman was taken off the board. And I suspect that by the end of the two-partner, Superman's status in Supergirl's world will also be dealt with in a way that makes him a clear non-presence going forward.

  14. #14
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,921

    Default

    Supergirl is on the CW now. As such there would be no better thing to do than pay Tom Welling to suit up for an extended cameo as a nod to Smallville which was on the CW. There would be a few continuity issues (Green Arrow) but nothing that couldn't be washed away with a comic book answer of "multiverse."

  15. #15
    Mighty Member Vworp Vworp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Clark View Post
    Everyone that thinks that Superman will overshadow anyone on a show that is called "Supergirl" just doesn't understand the realities of good storytelling.
    Alternatively, they've just watched Arrow, Flash and Legends of Tomorrow and have seen what a generally poor job the CW/DCU has done with female characters over the last few years.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •