Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

Default The whiteness of Superman

http://www.mtv.com/news/2889320/supe...-american-way/

what are your thoughts on this....

who invented Superman to combat the Nazis in comic books saw their hero
    I aint no Supes expert but this is the first time i heard this.

The recent Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice questioned Superman’s ability to be judge and jury on a global scale thanks to his extreme abilities, which is really more of a metaphor for whiteness than most people realize.
    What does mean by white? Chinese people have white skin and they can do things that have effect on a global scale.

The ability to go anywhere at will with the knowledge that no one can stop you is the very thesis of white supremacy, and Superman represents that thesis come to life
    Well, Supes is not a living being so... it hasnt come to life and i thought white supremacist was just racist folks that think they are better than anyone else cause of their skin.

Supes has recently been presented as an alien. An alien that people dont really trust because of the amount of power that he has. This isnt really presenting about some white power thing.

Heck, i just said Lego DC Heroes Justice League vs Bizarro League and in that story you spend most of it seeing Bats secretly not liking the alien and plotting to stop him. This also happens with General Lane.

From the rest of the article he writers comes of as having some weird idea that every white character is some celebration of whiteness winning over everyone else.

So there is little to discuss. Cause it looks like he doesnt want seeing a specific thing.

Sad that someone is trying to score PC points on such a classic comic... It's a very poorly written article as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
    Sad that someone is trying to score PC points on such a classic comic... It's a very poorly written article as well.
    It read like it was written by G. Gordon Godfrey... or the Hatemonger...
    And who uses cuss words in a supposedly "professional" news article?
    I mean, "all the shit Francis Scott Key wrote into the national anthem." Really?

Are you sure their site wasn't hacked?
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

It's clickbait garbage written by some clueless buzzkill who hates and doesn't understand Superman. Typical MTV.

BANNED

i want to say things like critical race theory and the concept of whiteness are legitimate concepts that we have to have discussions about

however i don't know if superman fits that mold

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    It's clickbait garbage written by some clueless buzzkill who hates and doesn't understand Superman. Typical MTV.

Pretty much this. Then again who would expect anything worth reading from an MTV website.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Member in Disguise

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Pretty much this. Then again who would expect anything worth reading from an MTV website.
    MTV? Like Headbanger's Ball MTV? That's still around?
    ...Expecting the Spanish Inquisition.

I thought MTV went years ago along with My Space and Friends Reunited lol

Quote Originally Posted by NeathBlue View Post
    I thought MTV went years ago along with My Space and Friends Reunited lol
    Yeah, YouTube killed the MTV star.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post
    Until funny-book movies started getting attention and making big money, the PC police ignored them.

People like this clown have no other function than to hector people that way. It's the bizarre little niche they've staked out. They're a waste of oxygen.
    Last edited by Trey Strain; 06-06-2016 at 05:18 PM.

Incredible Member

Gripping journalism from the network that brought you Buckwild and Jersey Shore.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Marvel/DC Fan View Post
    Gripping journalism from the network that brought you Buckwild and Jersey Shore.
    Aren't the Kardashians on there too?

Retired

This is some BS and using Muhammad Ali's death as pretext for this arm-chair sociology is the worst insult. We were calling Ali the "Black Superman" long before the tabloid edition came out.

I'd have more to say here about Superman and race but I don't want to give this article any more oxygen than I already have. Maybe on another thread.

DARKSEID LAUGHS... Crazy Diamond's Avatar

Pretty interesting article especially considering the attempts by the mainstream media to sanitize Muhammad Ali and make him safe for certain Americans. It's not the first time that I've seen superheroes and white supremacy conflated together.