Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default How good was Dwayne Mcduffie

I asked this question in the DC forum...but i was told he had a bigger Marvel resume than DC, so you guys are probably more familiar

I know he is "infamous" for the silver surfer armbar thing...but how good overall was he in your opinion

I did'nt read much from him but what I read was good. Not stellar, but good.

I enjoyed Beyond and the way it focused on underrated characters.

His Fantastic Four run was OK. He was definitely better that his predecessor and his successor. He especially did a way better job than JMS at explaining Reed's actions in Civil War.
    Yeah, the Surfer armbar was one of those rolling eyes moments that happens sometimes, but the story-arc was great.

BANNED

I've only read bits and pieces of his comic stuff, but he wrote the story from the Justice League Crisis on Two Earths animated and that was pretty cool.

Out of 1,000 of your posts on this website how many of them are you asking questions you could simply google?

And how many of them are about black men?

To answer your op, I watched Static Shock and Ben 10:Alien Force. Static was okay, his version of Ben 10 was not, imo.

He probably wrote more Marvel comics than DC comics, but I think his most significant comics work was probably with Milestone.

In terms of his Marvel work, Damage Control was a ton of fun, Beyond was excellent, and Fantastic Four was pretty good. People rag on the "arm bar" thing, but it's completely blown out of proportion on these forums.

Overall, I'd say he was consistently above average. He wasn't hitting it out of the park every at-bat, but if you saw his name on a book, chances are it was worth reading.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    I did'nt read much from him but what I read was good. Not stellar, but good.

I enjoyed Beyond and the way it focused on underrated characters.

His Fantastic Four run was OK. He was definitely better that his predecessor and his successor. He especially did a way better job than JMS at explaining Reed's actions in Civil War.
    Yeah, the Surfer armbar was one of those rolling eyes moments that happens sometimes, but the story-arc was great.
    I enjoyed his FF run, and thought replacing Reed and Sue with T'challa and Ororo was a good fit. It kind of proved that you could have extended FF teams without abandoning the family dynamic, and he brought a little lightness to the Black Panther/Storm couple.

I'd say he was consistently above average to pretty good. But I'm not sure I'd qualify any of his marvel work as great. I can only speak of his marvel stuff though .... maybe his Milestone stuff shined a bit more.

Damage Control is fantastic. I can't say I read much of his work at Marvel; some Milestone and some DC. Milestone was good comics, though they were new characters, so he had to do a lot of building. He was tackling bigger issues than a lot of comics. The DC stuff I read was after his work on the animated shows; but, he handled things well, despite problems on the editorial side. I do think his best work, apart from Damage Control, was in Justice League/Justice League Unlimited (the animated series). He was really cooking there.

His best work was in another medium. He's almost as big of a reason why the DC animated universe is as highly praised as it is as Timm and Dini.

However, comics wise, great work in Milestone, great work in Marvel, hampered work in DC.
    "Race is a social construct, they say. And I remind them that money is a social construct, too. Social constructs have power." — DeRay Mckesson

He wrote a solid Fantastic Four, and the best Storm/Black Panther interactions during their marriage imo. That's not to say he was amazing, but he was good. His great stuff however, came from Milestone. Never read his DC stuff though so I can't comment.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

BANNED

I thought his Crisis on Two Earth's animated movie was pretty good. Other than that, he's the creator of Static so that alone does make him significant, if not great.

He wasn't good , he was beyond great he was The Maestro...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by 4sake Baned View Post
    He wasn't good , he was beyond great he was The Maestro...
    Best response in this thread.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Double 0 View Post
    His best work was in another medium. He's almost as big of a reason why the DC animated universe is as highly praised as it is as Timm and Dini.

However, comics wise, great work in Milestone, great work in Marvel, hampered work in DC.
    ehh...Static Shock was good, but it was no where near Batman: TAS which is one of the greatest animated shows of all time

i wouldn't put him on the level of Timm in animation

Quote Originally Posted by Random4 View Post
    ehh...Static Shock was good, but it was no where near Batman: TAS which is one of the greatest animated shows of all time

i wouldn't put him on the level of Timm in animation
    Well, in the first place, Timm was the producer, not a writer, so you aren't even comparing the same jobs. He was also an artist first. Both were storytellers, using different mechanisms. Animation is also even more collaborative than comics and Timm's success was due to working with people like Dwayne McDuffie and Paul Dini, and other artists.