Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Default Batmen of All Nations / Batman Incorporated Appreciation

Well, we had a Knight and Squire thread in the pre-"Great CBR Disaster" version of the boards, but why not a new appreciation thread for ALL the heroes that were the Batmen of their respected countries but don't have a separate thread?

* Knight and Squire
    * Musketeer
    * Legionary
    * Gaucho
    * (Dark) Ranger (and Scout)
    * Wingman
    * (Chief) Man-of-Bats and Little Raven / Raven Red
    * Bat Hombre
    * Nightrunner
    * Mr. Unknown
    * Batman of Japan
    * The Hood

And any others you think may be appropriate for discussion here!

I was awaiting this thread to turn up!

Don't forget the heroic team The Victory V's, the 80's British superheroes that the original Knight was part of, as well as Ravil (the Russian Batman) and Shy Crazy Lolita Canary!

Will this thread also include the listed heroes' various villainous counterparts?

Simon Hurt
    Talia al Ghul AKA Leviathan
    Pyg & Son of Pyg
    Flamingo
    Dr Dedalus
    Scorpiana
    El Sombrero
    El Papagayo
    Red Rippa AKA Sam Black Elk
    Coyote
    Spring-heeled Jack
    Old Bill Nails Jack The Smasher
    Jarvis Poker, the British Joker
    Son of Man
    Sister Crystal
    Skintalker
    Rayman / Paradox
    The Id
    Lord Death Man
    Doubleface
    Lady Tiger Fist
    Dr Inside-Out
    Veiniac
    The Worm Captain
    Joe Average & The Average Joes
    Les Stereotypes
    Emoticon-Man

Yeah, I like villains.....

I was actually re-reading the Knight & Squire series earlier, good stuff! I love the bonkers British concepts; evil-ninja Morris Men, cloned and corrupt monarchs, an hellish alternate version of English (the flag is called the Black Jack!), metahuman pubs and other such anglophilic nonsense. I'm English myself, so obviously quite biased in that aspect!
    Last edited by Sharkey; 05-01-2014 at 03:27 PM.

BANNED

I loved the idea of Bruce sponsoring Batman for other countries.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

I always loved the Batmen of All Nations concept back in the day. Knight and Squire and Chief Man-of-Bats and Little Raven are my favorites of the bunch. I always looked forward to their appearances and while I appreciate that Morrison was able to take that concept further it lost a little of it's magic when he did so.

I would like DC to sort of revise the concept . . . while continuing a Bruce Wayne-sponsored Batman Incorporated may not be feasible in the comic books, I'd still love to see a book featuring those heroes, both in solo arcs and team-ups. Call it The League of the Bat maybe?

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I would like DC to sort of revise the concept . . . while continuing a Bruce Wayne-sponsored Batman Incorporated may not be feasible in the comic books, I'd still love to see a book featuring those heroes, both in solo arcs and team-ups. Call it The League of the Bat maybe?
    I'd like to see a book featuring them as well. I may not have enjoyed Batman, Inc. but I was glad to see more stories with those characters and I'd really like it if that could continue in some form. They're a great group of characters and I really would like to see more of them.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 05-01-2014 at 06:24 PM.

Man, Bat Inc was fantastic. I sorta miss Bat Cow. And Damian.

Quote Originally Posted by Star-Lord View Post
    Man, Bat Inc was fantastic. I sorta miss Bat Cow. And Damian.
    Well, Damian may be back this summer . . . only time will tell for sure.

(And Damian will be one of the stories in Secret Origins #4 this July, along with Harley Quinn and Green Arrow.)

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/ex...l/1100-148520/

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, Damian may be back this summer . . . only time will tell for sure.

(And Damian will be one of the stories in Secret Origins #4 this July, along with Harley Quinn and Green Arrow.)

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/ex...l/1100-148520/
    Gonna be weird having Apokalips meddling in this too. Love how Batman is basically going on little adventures with everyone he can find.

I just hope this picture of many of the crew from Batman Inc. won't be the last we see of them for a while:

(from Future's End FCBD preview: https://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/04...time-spoilers/)
    Last edited by MajorHoy; 09-27-2018 at 01:01 PM. Reason: replaced image that no longer linked with similar one

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Star-Lord View Post
    Gonna be weird having Apokalips meddling in this too. Love how Batman is basically going on little adventures with everyone he can find.
    It's not weird when you consider that Apokolips started all of this to begin with when they turned Thomas Wayne into the Hyper Adapter.

Quote Originally Posted by ReverseReverseFlash View Post
    It's not weird when you consider that Apokolips started all of this to begin with when they turned Thomas Wayne into the Hyper Adapter.
    Yeah . . . I wasn't too thrilled with Morrison dragging Darkseid / the New Gods into all this, nor with the idea that Tomasi may once again setting things up so that Batman is going to make Darkseid his bitch for the umpteenth time. (I know it's Batman, but do we need to have him smack down Darkseid as much as he has seemed to in the past?)

Oh, and by the way, there's this spot for a quick rundown on Knight and Squire, even featuring the splash page to the first appearance of Percy & Cyril Sheldrake (in Batman #62, cover dated December 1950 / January 1951).

Though the Comics Alliance article forgot about Knight and Squire appearing in Infinity Inc. back in the 1980s
    Knight and Squire (with Club of Heroes) - from Infinity Inc. No. 34 - Jan. 1987.jpg

As well as Percy's retcon into the first Squire (to the Shining Knight) back in Young All-Stars.
    Knight I (Percy Sheldrake) as Squire with Shining Knight in WWII - from Young All-Stars No. 27 -.jpg

And the Knight wasn't the first time they introduced the idea of a "Batman" in other countries.
    A year before the story "The Batman of England", there was "Ride, Bat-Hombre, Ride" in Batman #56 (December 1949-January 1950).

If you want to read that story, this link (http://cacb.wordpress.com/2009/03/01...athombre-ride/) should hopefully work.

And even though I'm not aware of a new Bat-Hombre to replace the original, the villain El Papagayo from that story was recreated for the first run of Batman Incorporated.

Astonishing Member

Best book involving Batman of All Nations for me was The Island of Mr. Mayhew.