Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default Three Ways Superman Will Benefit "Supergirl" - And Two Ways He May Not

The Man of Steel is on his way to "Supergirl," and the way his character is handled could help make or break the show in Season 2.

Full article here.

Considering he's only being cast for 2 episodes, I'm pretty sure they're just bringing him in to write him out (ie create a story reason why he will never be around again for the foreseeable future).
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Mighty Member

They need to kill him in this universe. You can't have Superman and Supergirl in the same show if you can't use one of them.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by dan12456 View Post
    Considering he's only being cast for 2 episodes, I'm pretty sure they're just bringing him in to write him out (ie create a story reason why he will never be around again for the foreseeable future).
    well i guess i better enjoy these episodes because im only there for the man of steel

Amazing Member

The Warner Brothers announcement said that Superman will be appearing in the first two episodes; it did not say only the first two episodes. That said, you might be dead on with your prediction that they'll find a way to write him out for a forseeable future; I can imagine some intergalactic crisis that will take him off-planet indefinitely. @lordozone: they will certainly NOT kill him off---that would be 180 degrees off from the relatively sunny and optimistic tone of the show.

Had it been my show, I would have re-written the premise entirely and had Supergirl show up on time, before Kal-El and made her his ward, started the show with him as a kid (not a baby) that Kara would occasionally visit or protect with occasional instances where he helps out a little. But that's just me. And no horrible DEO. Ugh. What an awful plot crutch.

Since that ship has sailed, the first two CW episodes on my watch would be Supergirl's universe colliding/merging with that of the Flash and Arrow and in the process Superman dies or is edited out of existence, leaving only Kara. Maybe have Supes sorely injured such that he is placed in some sort of stasis to keep him alive until they can figure out how to save him. I would also go out of my way to showcase that Kara is his physical equal (if not in experience), give her some truly badass things to do to make up for the lackluster season ending.

All-New Member

Why does he need to be written out? He doesn't operate in national city so there is no reason for him to be around all the time anyway. Superman cant be everywhere at once so she shouldn't need him unless its a special circumstances. With that type of logic why dont they just get rid of jonn hes just as powerful and around more frequently.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by knighted View Post
    Why does he need to be written out? He doesn't operate in national city so there is no reason for him to be around all the time anyway. Superman cant be everywhere at once so she shouldn't need him unless its a special circumstances. With that type of logic why dont they just get rid of jonn hes just as powerful and around more frequently.
    True. Just look at how Batman Inc has "franchised" the Batman business. Batman has sponsored heroes and hero groups throughout the world because he cannot be everywhere at once. There is even a new group formed by Batman that includes Clayface among its members for a whole new kind of Batman family.

Hopefully, the Arrowverse will expand to include the Supergirl family so people can pop in on an occassional basis. Why shouldn't Kara be able to call up the Flash to be backup if needed, or vice-versa.

Plus, it would be fun to have Clark Kent visit... without Superman showing up. Clark is smart enough to not have Clark and Superman suddenly show up in the same city (unless there is a reason, of course). Clark can still hang out and mentor Kara without big blue stepping on her home turf.

One great thing about holding off on Clark is that now they can hire a local Canadian that will be overjoyed to play Clark. In reality, Barry is more fun than Flash and Oliver is more fun than Green Arrow (character wise) so I would love Clark become a semi-regular than Superman constantly flying in to help.

It would be great for Clark and Iris to work on a story together, or perhaps even Iris and Lois have a special episode where they track down a story.

The problem with the characters is that you can write Superman without Kara, but it's nearly impossible to do the reverse, especially if you are going to involve her in planet-jeopardizing plots. It was the same through most of the comic history. If the world was threatened, Supes would call in his cousin and/or the JLA, but the "hero" role would essentially be his. If she needed to save the planet in her story, she could call on him, and be overshadowed by his experience/power, and the "hero" role would essentially still be his. The trick might be to water down the series plots somewhat so that the events don't necessarily rise to the level of all-hands-on-deck, but still enough to require Kara's intervention. I don't envy the writers. No one's ever gotten it quite right since the Silver Age, when her operating in secret allowed for smaller adventures, with minimal Supes involvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenn-El View Post
    The problem with the characters is that you can write Superman without Kara, but it's nearly impossible to do the reverse, especially if you are going to involve her in planet-jeopardizing plots. It was the same through most of the comic history. If the world was threatened, Supes would call in his cousin and/or the JLA, but the "hero" role would essentially be his. If she needed to save the planet in her story, she could call on him, and be overshadowed by his experience/power, and the "hero" role would essentially still be his. The trick might be to water down the series plots somewhat so that the events don't necessarily rise to the level of all-hands-on-deck, but still enough to require Kara's intervention. I don't envy the writers. No one's ever gotten it quite right since the Silver Age, when her operating in secret allowed for smaller adventures, with minimal Supes involvement.
    Really how often did Kara need Clark in the first season? The only world changing events where it seemed Clark should have been more involved were the Kyrptonians. Kara didn't need Clark to deal with Vartox, Livewire, Toyman, Indigo, Bizarro, or Maxwell Lord. I'm sure there are plenty more villains the Kara can deal with on her own which are credible enough to require her powers, or at most with J'onn's help, but not so powerful that Clark has to be involved too.

Just write the character respectfully, and have this be the world where they "share" world-saving responsibilities.

Again, there's the possible angle of giving Kara some powers that Clark does not have, and rationalize it as the female of the species getting some alternate abilities (or exposure to, I dunno, pink kryptonite, something.) Some may cry foul, but I say it's worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by PeteAmend View Post
    Batman has sponsored heroes and hero groups throughout the world because he cannot be everywhere at once.
    I think it's different with Batman because it'd take him a couple of hours to get to where his franchisees are located, then help out. For Superman, it'd take literally less than 10 seconds to get to National City. Batman can't be everywhere at once, but Superman can be everywhere in a minute. There's only 2 reasons Superman wouldn't zip by National City to help Kara out - the threat can be handled by Supergirl; or Superman is otherwise indisposed.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I maintain they are essentially going to send him into space to get him off the show so that people will stop asking where he is. My guess is the thing in the pod is a Kryptonian survivor and will tell them about a lost colony of Kryptonians and Superman will go with him.

Quote Originally Posted by lordozone View Post
    They need to kill him in this universe. You can't have Superman and Supergirl in the same show if you can't use one of them.
    Respectfully disagree with killing off the character of Superman.
    He's cast to appear in two episodes and could be possibly back for more episodes.
    Last edited by Lois; 06-07-2016 at 08:26 PM.

Don't think so.
    I think they are going to see how the show will work with Superman in it and if it becomes a big hit with the audience they could bring him back for some future.
    TV series do this all the time with the casting of characters in the series.