Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Detective Comics #934 discussion (spoilers)

Just finished my fourth re-read. I liked it. It's mostly setup and moves rather fast, but it's a good intro to this new storyline. Very promising.
    Mega fan of: Helena Bertinelli (pre-52), Batwoman, Birds of Prey, Guardians of the Galaxy, Secret Six
    Fan of: Batman, Cassandra Cain, Wonder Woman, Silk, Stephanie Brown, Captain America, Hellcat, Renee Montoya, Gotham Central, King Shark
    Quasi-Fan of: Aquaman, Midnighter, Superman, Catwoman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Squadron Supreme, Red Hood

Other likes: Low, Hush, Arkham Asylum: ASHoSE, Watchmen, A-Force, Bombshells, Grayson, Unfollow

Team Cap (both Rogers and Danvers)

Astonishing Member

Set-up vignettes. Pretty solid way to do the "Rebirthing" issue, and I like that the story motivation is a proper mystery, possibly even a mystery 'beyond' the initial mystery that we the readers sort of already know the answer to by the end. Tim/Steph/Cass get a good show and I can't wait to see Kate whip them into shape. I thought the identity reveal bit was cute, though I'd have (in a title called 'Detective') at least liked to have been walked through a clever way of knowing just how Kate figured it out. Then again, if she's anything like let's say, my own brother, she might not have, she might just be amazing at not appearing surprised by things, so when he took off the mask she just dropped the old poker face on him.

Clayface was great here, even though I can't see how that poor monster could ever get redemption. But a phase shift in Clayface's abilities wouldn't be a bad way to play with him here, even if it's just giving him the ability to morph into Basil form once more so he can pass as himself.

What else was going on besides? Not that much, right? Fairly simple. There's the lingering question of Azrael's involvement. I like how Tynion's narration about the various junior bat-squad members (including Azrael) are broad enough descriptions that we can kind of pretend/ignore some of the retcons involved in getting them back into play in the comics. Because even with the Tim who's been around since the Late 80s, Steph who's been around since the 90s, and Cass who's been around since 2000, I still would have the sense that Batwoman's a whole different kind of teacher and experience level. She was always positioned as more on par with Bruce's capabilities and less 'junior', and while she might be newer at "superheroing", she's a veteran at being a badass.

Anyway, good art, good fun story, good hook. Yeah, I'm sold.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Always Rakzo

Thought this was a nice beginning. Solid characterization and an interesting enough mystery. Tynion seems to have a lot of respect for Batwoman as well.

Orphan is a pretty stupid codename though.

"Comic Book Reviewer" InformationGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Orphan is a pretty stupid codename though.
    Yes. Yes it is.

I brought it up in my review, because honestly... this was a damn good issue with little issues in my eyes. It's been awhile since I've read a run that started this well. Primarily setup, but good setup backed up with great characterization and even better artwork.

My review is here for those who care.

Incredible Member

Some of the lines to and from Kate feel a bit off to me, but that could just be because I haven't read anything featuring her in years.

Clayface is still weird, but I have a thing for Batvillains (other than Joker) trying their hand at redemption and (other than Catwoman) ultimately failing, so...

Tim, Steph and Cass were great! ♥ Which is what I cared most about coming into this to begin with. So I take it Tim got accepted into some fancy (?) university? Yes! He better not not go! (Assuming it's reasonably close. ...Although, why would he struggle with the decision if that's the case? ) I want to finally see him in some sort of actual school again, dammit.

And after Martinez's group shot and Barrows's ambiguous cover had me worry, I am seriously relieved and outright elated to see that they apparently got Tim's and Kate's heights right.

As for the Colony, I keep being intrigued by this army of Arkham Knights. I just hope it doesn't get as ridiculously overpowered as the Court of Owls.
    Death's Head, Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man, House of X, Powers of X.
    Ascender, DIE, Saga, The Wicked + The Divine.
    Adventures of the Super Sons, Batman Beyond, Catwoman, Lois Lane, Naomi, Young Justice.

The Batwoman series started off Clayface's path to trying to be a hero so I'm glad this continues that plot thread.
    Favourite DC Characters: Supergirl, Pandora, Red Lantern Bleez, Larfleeze
    BRING BACK PANDORA!

http://i.imgur.com/fq7hazv.png

Hyped for Pokémon Sun and Moon! Nickname your Sun Legend after me!

"There are two main times when comic book fans gripe: When something changes and when something stays the same."
    Cyborg is a Leaguer forever, not a Titan

It was very hard to gage this issues, it's clearly a build up issue and I'm glad Bruce is at the centre of things. My one hope is that the take time to develop the supporting cast in this book especially Cass, the character has great potential if developed properly, the whole silent untouchable warrior thing needs to die, I'm sure some of her old fans will complain but characters need to grow that's what makes stories compelling.

Yeah, this issue was pretty much everything I could want from a team based #1. Definitely setup, but it has me excited about whats to come and desperately wanting more. As a Tim/Steph/Cass fan I am at full squee. I can get used to "Orphan" the same way I got used to Red Robin so long as the characterization is tight.

Also, holy shit Barrows. Good to know that Martinez is the guy who did the Grayson annual with superman (good stuff), he's certainly got his work cut out for him.

Quote Originally Posted by lucius121 View Post
    It was very hard to gage this issues, it's clearly a build up issue and I'm glad Bruce is at the centre of things. My one hope is that the take time to develop the supporting cast in this book especially Cass, the character has great potential if developed properly, the whole silent untouchable warrior thing needs to die, I'm sure some of her old fans will complain but characters need to grow that's what makes stories compelling.
    I'm sure she will, and interviews have said that she's in a formative place and will develop into being more of a person. I understand and appreciate this being the starting point, for a diehard Tim/Steph/Cass fan this was like coming home. I'm excited to see where we go from here.

Issue was decent
    Not amazing and not offensively bad
    I wish there was more to the team than "oh there's someone watching us better consolidate all the young vigilante's into a group"

Extraordinary Member

For a 'back to basics' approach this is a radically different version of Steph. Batman emphasizes that both of her parents were geniuses and she is apparently now a skilled enough hacker to not only hack into the phones of Penguin's goons but to lock Tim out of his own computer.

I have to wonder if her interactions with Tim were originally meant for Harper Row. Granted, Steph did figure out how to track Batman's movements accurately just by studying the reported sightings of him on the internet, so her intelligence is already established, but that was in terms of grunt detective work, not hacking prowess.

Other than that the scene felt very 90s, which for Tim and Steph is a good thing.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

I enjoyed it as well. For a set up issue it was decent. I still dont care for Clayface on the team. My only gripe is the nee 52 cass and steph. But thats no fault of this book lol

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    For a 'back to basics' approach this is a radically different version of Steph. Batman emphasizes that both of her parents were geniuses and she is apparently now a skilled enough hacker to not only hack into the phones of Penguin's goons but to lock Tim out of his own computer.

I have to wonder if her interactions with Tim were originally meant for Harper Row. Granted, Steph did figure out how to track Batman's movements accurately just by studying the reported sightings of him on the internet, so her intelligence is already established, but that was in terms of grunt detective work, not hacking prowess.

Other than that the scene felt very 90s, which for Tim and Steph is a good thing.
    Yeah, I never really saw Steph as the hacker type, but I could see her picking up some skills from Catwoman, or even Tim. Her being able to lock Tim out is a bit much, given that aside from Babs he's THE nerd among the batkids. Minor nitpick though.

Going forward I'd like her to be more of a grifter though. Suits her personality better.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    Yeah, I never really saw Steph as the hacker type, but I could see her picking up some skills from Catwoman, or even Tim. Her being able to lock Tim out is a bit much, given that aside from Babs he's THE nerd among the batkids. Minor nitpick though.

Going forward I'd like her to be more of a grifter though. Suits her personality better.
    Yeah. Nobody locks Tim out of anything.
    I kinda feel like he's passed training. I swear he's been doing this longer than Batwoman.

BANNED

It was alright i guess. Batwoman was a bit overplayed, they really wanted to hammer in that shes batmans equal and it became really annoying (I had Batman and Robin 1997 movie flashbacks). Like she was telling the audience or herself that more than she was telling him.
    When the second teenage girl thats a product of bad parenting manages to block you out of your computer is really time to get a new firewall Tim. Like really, you have tech that puts the batcave to shame there, it would be in your best interest if you stopped using windows firewall. Other than that it was ok.
    Cassandra was alright, orphan is as stupid as when she picked it.
    Clayface is there, but ive yet to find out why. Nowhere was this more obvious when everyone left and he couldnt follow. Also i dont understand why you "need a wildcard", sure, from a narrative perspective its usually better to have an unpredictable element on your team, but there are other ways to keep it interesting than to have a weak link.

Want to keep reading tho, so thats a good thing, well see where this goes.

Extraordinary Member

Things I really want to know.

How is Crystal Brown a certifiable genius? We only saw her in Batman Eternal, and not much of her. This needs to be explored, especially since the pre-flashpoint version was a regular nurse and recovering junkie, not a genius.

What letter did Tim receive? Did he get into a good college or something? It's like the 90s to see him talk down to Steph and then reveal that the real reason he's there is to ask her for advice, but I'd like to know why Steph thought it was a reason to celebrate and why Tim was conflicted about it.