Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    BANNED

And Dan Jurgen's just mentioned on twitter that Post-Crisis Superman's suspicion of Lex is based on intuition. He doesn't know that Lex is evil.

Jurgens also mentions the scene from Lois & Clark that I've cited as Post-Crisis Superman as having found "nothing" on Luthor. He found nothing, but he's unconvinced.

Astonishing Member

I didn't read the issue, I just read/heard some descriptions here and there (Supes Rebirth is the last issue I bought and, if I'll ever read Superman for the foreseeable future it will be when some friends of mine will let me take a glance on their comixology account), but as far as I know Luthor's story in the New52 has been as it follows:

Luthor starts as a legitimate businessman. At a certain moment he is put in jail and he begins a career as a super-criminal (they build a whole high-tech prison only for him). After that, he somehow succeeds in getting out of jail, and since Forever Evil he begins a career as a antihero/superhero. He is apparently legit: even Wonder Woman tests him with the lasso of truth and he never tries to kill any hero again (even if, of course, he always administers justice in a "sinister way").

As far as I know, these info are entirely public in the DCU. I don't know if it is public knowledge that he is the new dictator of Apokolips, but as far as I know the public image of Luthor is: an ex-criminal who apparently changed his ways.

As far as I am concerned, the only realistic or credible reaction an inhabitant of the DCU could have towards Luthor is cautious optimism, or cautious pessimism. That is, I really find it difficult to believe that someone could acclaim as a spotless hero, but I also find it difficult to think that someone could start with him a brawl just because he wears Superman's insignia. He's ambiguous, nothing less, nothing more.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

BANNED

Yes, Post-Crisis Superman should absolutely know Luthor's history, so it's strange that he doesn't.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Finally. This was the best Superman comic in years. From a proper Lex and Superman fight, to seeing just Clark's shoes as he whisks out of the Planet, to Jimmy and Maggie talking over a police car, to Doomsday just being dropped on the scene, and finally "Clark" showing up for some zaniness. Awesome. I figured Zircher would be good on Supes because of his work for Valiant, but man was his art is just perfect for a Superman book. Metropolis actually looks like the City of Tomorrow again.

As for Lex - I'll have to go look at those issues again, but my understanding was that Lex had all of those previous crimes wiped. Otherwise, why is he out walking free in the first place and allowed to join the JL? As for Superman going to confront him - Lex laying claim to the mantle of Superman while wearing the El family crest isn't enough? This Superman has a TON of history with a Luthor and knows he's up to no good. No reason to overthink it.

This had all of the feel of a great Silver Age book
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 06-08-2016 at 07:15 AM.

The Good
    -Maggie, Jimmy, Perry! Yay supporting cast!
    -Jon written very well, felt like an inquisitive 10 year old.
    -Mr. Oz, glad they're not ignoring this story line. He also seems to be the one who brought Post-Crisis Doomsday back... interesting.
    -Clark Kent, I'm intrigued.
    -Art was fantastic.
    -I enjoyed how fast paced everything felt.

The Bad
    -Jon done so well, but lots of clunky dialogue in other spots.
    -No explanation on where he got the new costume? It makes no sense.
    -Jimmy doesn't realize Superman is dead? Awful editorial as usual.

The Ugly
    -Superman hates a Lex he knows nothing about soo much that he'll blow his cover he kept for 10 years just to bully him? Just awful writing. You want to drag Superdad out of hiding, Post-Crisis Doomsday was enough reason, use that.

Astonishing Member David Walton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    But is it just me or is Jurgens ignoring the continuity of his own Superman comics? Here Lois tells Jon that his and Post-Crisis Superman's powers are to only be used for special occasions, not in their everyday lives, but I seem to remember Jurgens writing Superman stories where Clark did use his powers in his everyday life.

But it's been so long, that I could very well be wrong.
    Even so, parents have a tendency to change their minds about what's acceptable and what's not with regard to their kids.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It's a case where Jon has to learn good habits. Not that doing chores super quickly is bad but there has to be a work ethic foundation.

And Dan Jurgen's just mentioned on twitter that Post-Crisis Superman's suspicion of Lex is based on intuition. He doesn't know that Lex is evil.

Jurgens also mentions the scene from Lois & Clark that I've cited as Post-Crisis Superman as having found "nothing" on Luthor. He found nothing, but he's unconvinced.
    On Twitter he says the exact same thing from the issue, that they have nothing. It's true that there is no proof. We have seen that every pre flashpoint character is the same through different circumstances, and we absolutely know from Superman #15 and the Action #23 special that lex is only short of Alexei when it comes to malicious intent. Of course I agree that if Jurgens doesn't know, it's really weird. Either way, this story will have the intuition prove Lex is evil, or have both men come to terms. No big deal.

Loved it. Nice to see Ozymandias again. :P

Astonishing Member DieHard200904's Avatar

That's why I am confused. I am pretty sure that Pre-Flashpoint Superman at least watched the news or researched information about what was going on.

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard200904 View Post
    That's why I am confused. I am pretty sure that Pre-Flashpoint Superman at least watched the news or researched information about what was going on.
    When they say they've got "nothing" on him, can't it just be nothing to arrest him? He tells Lois "we both know he's not innocent" indicating that they know he did bad stuff. I just can't remember, and don't have the book in front of me, but didn't Luthor either get pardoned or wipe away all of his past crimes when he left the prison?

LOVED IT! Man, I haven't felt this way reading a Superman book in ages.
    Marvel Pull - Fantastic Four, The Immortal Hulk
    DC Pull - The Green Lantern, Goddess Mode
    Indie Pull - The Wrong Earth, High Heaven

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    When they say they've got "nothing" on him, can't it just be nothing to arrest him? He tells Lois "we both know he's not innocent" indicating that they know he did bad stuff. I just can't remember, and don't have the book in front of me, but didn't Luthor either get pardoned or wipe away all of his past crimes when he left the prison?
    Even if that was the case, Superman having a public brawl with someone just because he doesn't believe him is stupid. It would be stupid even if he was sure that Luthor is guilty of something. It would be stupid even if Luthor provoked him (I didn't read the book and I am just making some guesses).

By the way, could someone who has read the book please confirm that Superman's attack damages a building or some public property, in pure Zack Snyder style?
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Even if that was the case, Superman having a public brawl with someone just because he doesn't believe him is stupid. It would be stupid even if he was sure that Luthor is guilty of something. It would be stupid even if Luthor provoked him (I didn't read the book and I am just making some guesses).

By the way, could someone who has read the book please confirm that Superman's attack damages a building or some public property, in pure Zack Snyder style?
    I'm not following. What could Superman possibly see as a bigger threat than Luthor proclaiming himself the Superman of Metropolis and wearing the El family crest? The issue makes it clear that he knows Lex has done bad things, they just have "nothing" on him - meaning he can't arrest him because they have no proof of crimes. Also, as we've seen in TV shows and in comics, the natural presumption is that the same person on a different Earth is a lot like the person on yours (I'm think Harrison Wells on Flash, and the distrust they had when they met the Earth-2 one). Why wouldn't Superman reasonably conclude that this Luthor is bad business as well? And yes, a building was hit - like as has been happening in Superman comics for 75 years, but only seems to be a real problem since Zach Snyder
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 06-08-2016 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post

Lex hit a bus.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    Lex hit a bus.
    Did it happen in the middle of the brawl, or was it Superman's reaction which made him hit the bus?