Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    Did it happen in the middle of the brawl, or was it Superman's reaction which made him hit the bus?
    Yes, personal property was destroyed:

Action_Comics_1.jpg

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    I'm not following. What could Superman possibly see as a bigger threat than Luthor proclaiming himself the Superman of Metropolis and wearing the El family crest? The issue makes it clear that he knows Lex has done bad things, they just have "nothing" on him - meaning he can't arrest him because they have no proof of crimes.
    And does that justify in any way that he physically attacks him?
    It is not really important that Superman thinks that he is guilty. Even if Superman had factually seen Luthor commit a crime (and as far as I know, that didn't happen), starting a public brawl with Luthor just because he hates him is simply stupid and immature.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Lol, I think in order to build the case against him you might as well read the book and not just look out for someone to tell you what you want to hear. Superman gets blasted then knocks him into a bus, and then tries to fly off before lex decides to keep fighting in the city.

And really, Superman fighting in mid metropolis was a problem back in the '90s as well. It never stopped being a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    And does that justify in any way that he physically attacks him?
    It is not really important that Superman thinks that he is guilty. Even if Superman had factually seen Luthor commit a crime (and as far as I know, that didn't happen), starting a public brawl with Luthor just because he hates him is simply stupid and immature.
    He told him to take the Superman crest off and reached for it, presumably to take it off. Lex's suit defenses kicked in

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Lol, I think in order to build the case against him you might as well read the book and not just look out for someone to tell you what you want to hear.
    You're right. But I am somehow split - on one hand I am curious, and on the other hand I don't want to spend 3 bucks for something I will probably hate (literally everything I've heard about this issue makes me groan).

You know what? It doesn't matter, really. It doesn't really worth it :-) I am too old for comic books like this :-D
    Last edited by Myskin; 06-08-2016 at 09:19 AM.
    Educational town, Rolemodel city and Moralofthestory land are the places where good comics go to die.

DC writers and editors looked up and shouted "Save us!"
    And Alan Moore looked down and whispered "No."

I'm kinda surprised Snyder didn't want Superman to watch Lois and Bruce conceive their love child. All the while singing the "Na na na na na na Batman!" theme song - Robotman, 03/06/2021

Beautiful art and compelling story. While I'm conflicted about Superman's actions, because I believe he did imprudently overreact, I find the layers of the conflict interesting and have hope that this story beat was included precisely to challenge Superman and teach him a lesson about how he needs to adapt his approach to this Luthor and this world now that he's public. Accordingly, I liked Lois commenting to Jon that fighting shouldn't be the go to response.

About Lois, with this being the opening issue I will give it a pass that she didn't have much of a story. However, going forward I don't want to see her stuck back home as the parent or the peanut gallery. I want Tomasi and Jurgens to give her something of her own to do.

Other elements from Maggie Sawyer's return, to the reintroduction of Lex Luthor and the smart and chilly interplay he and Superman always have, to the mystery of Clark Kent, to the family/farm moments gave this issue a lot of range and therefore lots to chew on and appreciate.

Nice issue. Mainly because I want to see who this other Clark is. Here's hoping it's Nu Clark somehow! Superdad did overreact which is strange considering his past dealings with his Luthor. Dialogue felt a bit clunky at times. Some of the dialogue especially when speaking with a 10 year old just came off as unnatural.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I'm enjoying the debate and there have been good points on all sides.

One thing I will say, I prefer this version of Superman over how he was written just before flashpoint.

That Superman may have seen Lex don the S on TV and rather than return and stand up to him, he would have likely have gotten all depressed and then gone for a long walk. Or he would have confronted Luthor and Lex would have said something mean and instead of trying to take the insignia off his chest, he would have looked all sad, then flown away before landing and then also going for a really long walk. ( I kid,I kid! Well... Sorta.)

Yeah Superman was a bit too impulsive and wasn't thinking things through and started a fight that put him in a bad light, but he at least has his confidence again. I'm glad that aspect of the Jurgens era post crisis Supes and Nuperman continues on.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I'm enjoying the debate and there have been good points on all sides.

One thing I will say, I prefer this version of Superman over how he was written just before flashpoint.

That Superman may have seen Lex don the S on TV and rather than return and stand up to him, he would have likely have gotten all depressed and then gone for a long walk. Or he would have confronted Luthor and Lex would have said something mean and instead of trying to take the insignia off his chest, he would have looked all sad, then flown away before landing and then also going for a really long walk. ( I kid,I kid! Well... Sorta.)

Yeah Superman was a bit too impulsive and wasn't thinking things through and started a fight that put him in a bad light, but he at least has his confidence again. I'm glad that aspect of the Jurgens era post crisis Supes and Nuperman continues on.
    I think it should also be considered that he just watched himself from another universe die in front of him, and then sees his greatest enemy from that other universe appropriate the name and symbol of his doppleganger. Not sure what kind of reaction that would engender in a person. It seemed to me that he had an innate sense that he couldn't let that stand, and his instincts will be proven correct since Lex actually is a villain

Quote Originally Posted by misslane View Post
    Beautiful art and compelling story. While I'm conflicted about Superman's actions, because I believe he did imprudently overreact, I find the layers of the conflict interesting and have hope that this story beat was included precisely to challenge Superman and teach him a lesson about how he needs to adapt his approach to this Luthor and this world now that he's public. Accordingly, I liked Lois commenting to Jon that fighting shouldn't be the go to response.

About Lois, with this being the opening issue I will give it a pass that she didn't have much of a story. However, going forward I don't want to see her stuck back home as the parent or the peanut gallery. I want Tomasi and Jurgens to give her something of her own to do.

Other elements from Maggie Sawyer's return, to the reintroduction of Lex Luthor and the smart and chilly interplay he and Superman always have, to the mystery of Clark Kent, to the family/farm moments gave this issue a lot of range and therefore lots to chew on and appreciate.
    I agree with you on the Lois part. However, both Tomasi and Jurgens made it a point to talk about her involvement in interviews to I have hope that she'll get her own storylines.

Astonishing Member

Not a bad opening story. But the Superman here behaved exactly like the Superman before making all this stuff about the "REAL" Superman all the more hilarious. Doomsday's inclusion however is bleh.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

Doomsday... meh. In the first issue already? I am a bit disappointed in that.

The art was very nice, gorgeous actually. Dialogues were sometimes a bit strange but overall I would say ok.

Why do we have Kent alive and well? Who is he? I am intrigued.

I am not as hyped as so many here but I will keep reading for sure.
    Ramin Djawadi, the new God composer... Original Score for Warcraft is absolutely amazing and his score for Season 6 of Game of Thrones is beyond epic... THE WINDS OF WINTER

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    I think it should also be considered that he just watched himself from another universe die in front of him, and then sees his greatest enemy from that other universe appropriate the name and symbol of his doppleganger. Not sure what kind of reaction that would engender in a person. It seemed to me that he had an innate sense that he couldn't let that stand, and his instincts will be proven correct since Lex actually is a villain
    Yeah, and I don't question his motives and he had good reason for what he did given the circumstances. However he could have handled things a little more tactfully, but again as I said before, I welcome the fact Superman here isn't just taking things and is standing up for both himself and Nuperman in preserving his legacy and to keep that symbol from being co opted. Plus, if there's anyone that deserves this, it's Luthor.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian View Post
    Doomsday... meh. In the first issue already? I am a bit disappointed in that.

The art was very nice, gorgeous actually. Dialogues were sometimes a bit strange but overall I would say ok.

Why do we have Kent alive and well? Who is he? I am intrigued.

I am not as hyped as so many here but I will keep reading for sure.
    Kent is a plot device. Which will eventually allow Superdad to get his old life back. Basically a way for DC to get Superman back to being Clark Kent and working at the Daily planet with his Wife.

is it possible that this new Clark Kent is Nuperman without his powers? I'm intrigued.

Overall, good issue. Much much better than what i was expecting from this and Doomsday is back!