Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Oh come on guys, he wasn't acting like a jerk (well yes he was but that's sort of the point). He was clearly distraught from the current events (Last Days of Superman) and his prior encounters with a Lex. You saw how fast he ran off to shave and change. Lois even recognized that he might be in too much of a rush.

He wanted his cape and family crest off Lex because, from his perspective, it's an abomination. Bottom line, he was just heated. The story doesn't reward him for his action (he actually gets his ass kicked) and Lois is constantly telling Jon that what his father is doing isn't right. But it's understandable to see where he's coming from in this very delicate time.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 06-08-2016 at 12:04 PM.

Well to be fair, Superdad has been around for 10 years. Which means he's probably seen Luthor go to jail a few times. He's knows any version of Lex is smart enough to weasel out of a prison sentence or play the system. So once Superdad saw Lex go to a prison that was built for hims specifically, because he's so dangerous, it likely gave him reasons not to trust Lex. Superdad already started to do some digging, which suggests his distrust. Now pair all that up with Superdad's cover being blown, he's with his family on a new world, his family could be in danger, and this world's Superman died in front him. It's not surprising that he'd have an emotional reaction to seeing Lex wear his symbol. Superdad has been through a lot. Sure the fight could have been avoided. It was an emotional response by an already stressed Superman. He's allowed to make mistakes. He's a character. It's going to happen. Besides, I thought people wanted a brash Superman who charges in first and asks questions later.

As for my thoughts on the issue? I think I really liked it. Fun set up. I like Lex's character (just the right level of cheese lol). I like how Clark's power level--from a visual standpoint-- is used in this one. Surprisingly okay voice for Jimmy. The Lois and Jon watching on TV was just okay. But most of all, the art was fantastic. I don't know if I'll like it when the other artist fill in. It's not the smooth change over that the Superman book will have between it's artist. So we'll see.

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

Well, there's two ways of looking at it: from Superman 52 and Superman Rebirth the impression given is that Superdad is older, maybe more mature and has a confidence and experience that goes with this, and although he's been "in hiding" he has been monitoring world or other events so he should know the complicated status of this world's Lex Luthor....all of which you would think leads to a more refined approach to the situation shown in Action 957 as opposed to the rash impetuosity that we see in the issue....posters who have mentioned these glitches and state dodgy writing, because it doesn't follow what we've seen previously recently are making good points. Superdad was in hiding, allowing a lot to happen, maybe worse things than Luthor wearing his Superman's crest, but for some good reason (Superdad hiding) which we have yet to be brought up to speed on....and yet he makes such a big public play over Luthor, thus blowing any cover he had......

Or; in the context of Superdad shaking off previous reservations after the death of Nuperman if he's going to take on/take back the mantle of being Superman to/for/of this world, then fair enough some grandstanding is required...throw off caution and put yourself out there...how dare a Luthor, any Luthor claim righteousness and dare wear that crest, especially when there is a Superman, right here, right now..the rash emotion and action of attacking Lex perfectly making sense...but yes, still own it though....

One other point on another issue:

If Superdad is being Superman, or Clark Kent, as some have mentioned down the line, and, his wife, Lois Lane (MumLane) " needs to be better employed/should have work to be going to, work as a journalist, or work at the Daily Planet"....posters here have mentioned...well,....who is going to be looking after their 10 year old, superpowered, son then? Is the danger to him that's been mentioned gone, is he at school then in the day, has this been established?

Jon

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

I enjoyed the issue overall the art was great and Jurgens did a solid job on the story. I think my only complaint is the pacing felt abit wonky. Overall though a pretty enjoyable book, I think Action is most likely going to end up being better then the main Superman book. I can't wait for 958!
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I gotta agree about Lois and Jon but I'm confident that the "peanut gallery" will break up because even the writers will get tired of doing that soon. On the flipside I like having narration a lot more than Superman stuck in his own head with monologues. Never fit the character imo

Art wise I am not honestly excited for kirkham or Segovia, but I wasn't excited for Zircher either and he did better than I expected.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Ehh I honestly found this okay. Everything has been revealed before so nothing in this issue was surprising. Art was terrific but honestly was just kind of boring. I'll check out 958 but I feel like I'll be dropping this.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    On the flipside I like having narration a lot more than Superman stuck in his own head with monologues. Never fit the character imo
    Totally agree! I think that's why I forgave the Lois and Jon thing honestly

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

The Reign of the Supers, Dan Jurgens, Retro-Doomsday... Oh, man, I feel like I've traveled back to the '90s. Nice art anyway.

Amazing Member

i don't know
    it looks like a planned trap
    even tho lex tried to win the ppl over by screaming get the ppl to safety
    i think this sups has something up his sleeve.............who am i kidding
    he made little to no contact with the new52 world

and the hell is up with new52 jimmy?
    he was there crying at the end of superman 52
    and he was the first person to know his best pal secret identity
    and he was like
    superman is dead?
    [huh clark? ppl knows that you are also superman woowzers how is that possible?]
    Last edited by gtomanga; 06-08-2016 at 01:56 PM.

I ended up buying the issue (Dammit WHY CAN'T I QUIT YOU!) Is it me or does Superdad's dialog sound like 90's comicbook dialog while Luthor sounds more modern. He even did that name announcing thing for Doomsday like back in the day. You could all most SEE the tm. at the end of it.

Quote Originally Posted by David Walton View Post
    Even so, parents have a tendency to change their minds about what's acceptable and what's not with regard to their kids.
    Yeah. That's a do as I say and not as I do moment. Parents do it all the time. As a kid he has certain rules he has to follow. When he's an adult that's a different story. Right not they're trying to make sure he doesn't abuse his powers.

About Lois, with this being the opening issue I will give it a pass that she didn't have much of a story. However, going forward I don't want to see her stuck back home as the parent or the peanut gallery. I want Tomasi and Jurgens to give her something of her own to do.
    Agreed. As a mom she should interact with her son yes (and even then I'd like to see an actual fun rapport), but I don't want to see her just narrating what Superman does to Jon all the time. That would be just as bad as her not having been around in the first place in the New 52.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member SplinteringHeart's Avatar

If Superdad is being Superman, or Clark Kent, as some have mentioned down the line, and, his wife, Lois Lane (MumLane) " needs to be better employed/should have work to be going to, work as a journalist, or work at the Daily Planet"....posters here have mentioned...well,....who is going to be looking after their 10 year old, superpowered, son then? Is the danger to him that's been mentioned gone, is he at school then in the day, has this been established?

Jon

I'm pleasantly surprised that I enjoyed the way the suit looking in action. I've grown to like the idea of the look but was still skeptical on how it would look in action.

I need to see how Gleason draws it, but I'm already hopeful there because I've been made a fan of Gleason's via Batman and Robin and his old GL book with Tomasi.

I actually forgot to mention that I liked the renewed rivalry between Clark and Lex. It's been missing in the new 52 because they went mad scientist early and gave us no time to get to know the dynamic in the new context.

As I sated in another thread, I firmly believe this is an update to the post-crisis businessman Lex and Superman stalemate. BUT now the dynamic is --in my opinion-- infinitely more interesting because Lex is now a true blue superhero. Clark has to "go into work" on Monday morning and see Lex there with a coffee and a sh!t eating grin just daring him to do something. Now Lex has more "credibility" than Clark (well I suppose that's how it started post-crisis too so that's pretty neat!). By far I think Lex was the most interesting aspect of this issue. Clark and his family seem like they'll be built up all throughout the books they are staring in, but the team seems to be putting the world and other characters at center stage. Basically WORLD BUILDING and creating a better stage to use their main characters on.

So far it's pretty darn solid. I hope it continues.