View Poll Results: What did you think of Wonder Woman: Rebirth?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • It was excellent!

51 47.22%
  • It was really good but there are a few things I'd change.

29 26.85%
  • It was mediocre. I'd keep some thing & change others.

11 10.19%
  • It was lacking. I'd change more than I would keep.

11 10.19%
  • It was horrible. Start over.

4 3.70%
  • I'm not planning on reading it.

2 1.85%
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    The best or second best thing that ever happened to the franchise?
    Morrison's New X-Men is among my favorite runs on comics ever.

My point is that as soon as it was possible, editorial mandates walked back MOST of his controversial contributions in favor of nostalgia. Things that remained: Xavier's becoming an actual school with an actual student body, Jean Grey died and largely remained that way, and Emma Frost become a central member of the team(s). I HOPE that future WW writers can polish the coals enough to find the very few gems in the run: the demigod origin, the Firstborn enemy, Eris's whole presentation, and Ares' exhausted and forlorn demeanor.

I haven't yet picked up the Rebirth special, but it sounds like Rucka is committing the first sin already and making his case rather than just jumping in the action and having us along for the ride.

I thought the issue was okay. It was certainly written well and the art was well-done...Clark's was very clean and classic and Sharp's was dark and beautiful. I've just tried many Wonder Woman comics and never really "got" or felt like I cared about the character at all, and this was no different (wrong forum, I know).
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    I thought the issue was okay. It was certainly written well and the art was well-done...Clark's was very clean and classic and Sharp's was dark and beautiful. I've just tried many Wonder Woman comics and never really "got" or felt like I cared about the character at all, and this was no different (wrong forum, I know).
    What's missing? What would you need to "care about the character"?

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    What's missing? What would you need to "care about the character"?
    It's a combination of personal interest and my feelings about the character.

Personally, even though I think god-type characters / Greek mythology characters are interesting in theory, I often get bored reading about them in fiction. Never really cared for Thor either, for example. Don't really like the narrative voice they usually use in these stories.

On a personal level I feel like I've never really gotten a sense of Wonder Woman's character or personality. She always feels kind of hollow and vaguely defined. To a degree in many of her stories it feels like she's just this symbol of femininity without really a character to back that up. I like many other female superheroes or villains (Batgirl, Power Girl, Catwoman, Poison Ivy, Rogue, Storm, Mystique) where they seem like they have more of a defined character, voice, personality, motivations, etc. I don't really get any of that from Wonder Woman.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Sombrero View Post
    It's a combination of personal interest and my feelings about the character.

Personally, even though I think god-type characters / Greek mythology characters are interesting in theory, I often get bored reading about them in fiction. Never really cared for Thor either, for example. Don't really like the narrative voice they usually use in these stories.

On a personal level I feel like I've never really gotten a sense of Wonder Woman's character or personality. She always feels kind of hollow and vaguely defined. To a degree in many of her stories it feels like she's just this symbol of femininity without really a character to back that up. I like many other female superheroes or villains (Batgirl, Power Girl, Catwoman, Poison Ivy, Rogue, Storm, Mystique) where they seem like they have more of a defined character, voice, personality, motivations, etc. I don't really get any of that from Wonder Woman.
    Can definitely understand this feeling, even as a fan...It highlights why some weren't sure what to do with her character whether in a group ensemble, or even in her own stories...they keep tweaking with things in her mythos like her origin, her powers, or supporting cast in an effort to make her appealing, or her surroundings stand out...but things often fall flat and Diana ends up with 2nd hand treatment/development.

Perhaps this is because WW hasn't escaped the stigma of solely being a mouthpiece for feminism, meaning that her character centers on the personification of that ideal, but lacking the "personal" traits that make for a compelling character.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    So, I'm just going to throw this out there, but it seems to me the primary reason on whether or not you like this issue is whether or not you like Azzarello's run?
    Well, I wasn't a fan of the origin change. That was kind of a dealbreaker for me, honestly. And even though I am usually a big fan of horror elements, I wasn't a big fan of the horror elements in a Wonder Woman run. Just doesn't fit how I conceive her surroundings to be like. Full disclosure, I didn't read the entire run but from what I picked up from occasional issues, it seemed interesting.

Excited for this because I really loved the last Rucka run.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 06-10-2016 at 10:28 AM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyprincess View Post
    So, she can go from an ambassador of peace, to god of war???? What if dc decided batman should carry a gun?
    again:

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Which is entirely dependent on what the writer and DC currently feel she should be, which was one of the major themes of Azzarello's run; you can do and call Diana anything, but at the end of the day she is still going to be Diana.
    GOW is just a title. A burden Ares put on Diana because she would bring the thing that eluded him in life, peace (WW#35, Hera kissing her son Ares farewell.)

She made use of it to bring reform to her warrior sisters when battling The first born, and ultimately installed a matriarchy in heaven. Not sure why such feats are to be brought down by one of her current titles.

That said, as for this issue. I was hoping for something better written. The constant wordplay on "Wonder" would even have felt cheap in Azzarello's pulp take.

Another thing that felt cheap was a woman (of course in her undies) needing saving from men with machine guns in a "xxx club".

While I wasn't that impressed either by the constant mentions of truth truth truth truth truth (also, what's up with Diana calling herself a fool because of some multiversity-dementia?), I think things picked up a bit towards the end. Diana being able to crush Ares' helmet (and it melting, perhaps cementing that he is back), and I think there could be some fun to be had with the "who changes her story". Perhaps it'll become her Crisis-story of sorts?

I have a good feeling that there'll be some unifying theme of her different iterations. Demi god or not, God of war or not. She's still a good sport most of times.

While the writing wasn't my fav, the art shined. Liam Sharp (a 2000AD-talent) certainly lives up to his last name. The one doing the colouring did a great job as well.

I'll definitely give this a couple of issues

Mighty Member

Any ideas on her demi god origin being a bit different from the one in the n52. Where's Hippolyta also went with the clay baby rout (in the secret origin issue), but with Zeus showing up instead of the other gods.

Perhaps something still unheard of for Diana? Perhaps her mum didn't have the time to tell her before getting retconned back to death thanks to some rain :P

Astonishing Member

No pros and cons yet for me. I'm intrigued by the notion of Diana (and her antiquity history) somehow being a good defense against timeline tampering in the greater Rebirth scheme. And obviously always cool with the notion that "nothing the Olympians do can quite be trusted" shiftiness of her reality when it comes to the Olympians. They're some of the ultimate gameplayers, after all, and in the DCU in their godsphere have often been on the defensive from other powerful fifth-dimensional mythic magic interactions. The art switch wasn't my favorite thing but I like the proactive Diana. Rucka's voice is as ever great, in Rucka I definitely trust, and he'll always get my read if he's doing interesting things. I dig the new costume just fine, and like the both badass warriorness and slight princessiness of Diana being like "whelp, the time for this costume is over, time for a new outfit". I'm definitely a frequent proponent for a Wonder Woman who wears lots of different Wonder Wardrobes.

I'm also from a continuity/retcon/publication history point of view just very curious where he's going to go with the dueling histories beat. Less because of "which Chiang designs will he keep (Strife, obvs)/throw away" and more just for what it means for Wonder Woman as a character beat, and with her sense of agency, and who the villain might be, and all that stuff.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Someone may have mentioned this in the various Rebirth threads but I was wondering if anyone else thought that Wonder Woman's 'new' costume was in fact her old costume - or rather the costume that she wears as what Rucka wants to present as the 'true' Wonder Woman.

So, to try and make more sense, in Year One when Diana dons the costume it will be the new one we now see.

That's why she basically went back to her place in Paris and just changes her costume - she was changing from the new 52 threads into her original costume - the new/old materials symbolic of her partly discovering 'the truth.'

Clark & Diana Whata Team! Super-Wonder's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm less concerned with certain story elements wiped out though right now over this idea that Wonder Woman, AGAIN doesn't know who she is. She should know exactly who she is. The deception should be around her, not within her. But that's just me.
    It isn't just you! These are my feelings exactly.

BANNED

Just a little nitpick, I hate it when Wonder Woman smiles during a fight, when she carries herself like she walks on water, when she speaks posh and doesn't use contraptions. Don't do that. Also she's a "penitent" now? please.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamp_Lusa View Post
    Just a little nitpick, I hate it when Wonder Woman smiles during a fight, when she carries herself like she walks on water, when she speaks posh and doesn't use contraptions. Don't do that. Also she's a "penitent" now? please.
    That's just one more allusion to THE HIKETEIA for the girl under her watch dying (shameless Rucka self promotion) or all the other times Diana begged mercy from the Olympian gods, which are too many to count.

BANNED

http://geekinthecity.com/2016/06/09/...usks-are-weak/

so there is this podcast with Q&A to Rucka about WW

BANNED

It seems like Rucka is trying to undo everything that Azzarello put together. And that doesn't sit well with me because A: Brian Azzarello's run is the one that got me interested in Wonder Woman, he made me care, he made her interesting. B: Azz is much more superior writer than Rucka.

I'll just stick with WW: Earth One & LoWW.