View Poll Results: What did you think of Wonder Woman: Rebirth?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • It was excellent!

51 47.22%
  • It was really good but there are a few things I'd change.

29 26.85%
  • It was mediocre. I'd keep some thing & change others.

11 10.19%
  • It was lacking. I'd change more than I would keep.

11 10.19%
  • It was horrible. Start over.

4 3.70%
  • I'm not planning on reading it.

2 1.85%
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

I thought it was a solid enough issue for something that is supposed to be a prelude to a new run. It is also clear as to why Rucka agreed to take on the writing chores. He is going to be able to reframe Diana all the way back to her origin. During his first run, he argued that he didn't feel that he needed to deal with existing continuity, as he felt that every new writer's run is in effect a new character. Now, he doesn't need to really be beholding to anyone.

I do have to reiterate that I don't feel Sharp is the right artist for Rucka. As pretty and detailed as the art is, it just doesn't have a sense of forward motion to it. And Rucka needs an artist who will drive the story. The action in the conflict with the minotaur, Cerberus, and the centaur was pretty much illegible.

For me it was lacking. Far too much timey-wimey stuff than I was anticipating. I was just hoping for classic cloak and dagger deceptions, not huge timeline problems. I know that's a thing for the whole of Rebirth, but I thought her independent story-arc would be different and not follow the same pattern. And we've enough "Who is Wonder Woman?" stories for a lifetime. I was fine with revealing that stuff around her was based on lies. Not so much this idea that once again she's confused about herself. That's so old hat.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Plus the costume change really came out of nowhere to me, as bad as it might have been, Finch atleast gave a reason to change.
    Rucka stated in an interview that the only request from editorial was that her costume mirror the costume of the movie. I'm guessing that was the least of his concerns, which is why it was done in such a heavy-handed, weird way (has it been hanging in her closet for months? Did she whip it up at super-speed?) Honestly, though, as long as it isn't the atrocity that David Finch designed, I don't care a great deal.

BANNED

The opening soliloquy was god-awful, when she goes "you know why they call me Wonder Woman, it's not because I'm wondrous, it's because they wonder who I am", that's daft, it's up there with the "vegetative injustice". Definitely not a great start, hopefully Rucka can pick up his level going forward. Sharps art, to my mind, is very middling

Incredible Member

I enjoyed it: lots of possibility, a clear goal, and Diana taking a pro-active role in her own life.

And then, I turned the last page and saw the memorial pages to Darwyn Cooke, with Diana looming large, beautiful, and happy.

I enjoyed Rucka's previous run. My only frustration with it was that she was almost never happy. I'm looking forward to his return, especially after the last two years of Finch-misery (if it wasn't actually 2 years, I apologize, but truthfully, the Finch run felt longer than two years); I'm sure it's going to be smart and thoughtfully. I just hope he puts a smile on her face occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I also loved it when Diana crushed the God of War helmet. She should have done that the first time it was in her hands as she should always strive against war rather than embrace it IMO.
    If that is actually what happened, nothing I read pointed to that it was anything deeper than a helmet being crushed.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    If that is actually what happened, nothing I read pointed to that it was anything deeper than a helmet being crushed.

Either way, I'm happy she did it.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

There's that it's also obviously not the helmet.

Diana says that it can't be.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Rucka stated in an interview that the only request from editorial was that her costume mirror the costume of the movie. I'm guessing that was the least of his concerns, which is why it was done in such a heavy-handed, weird way (has it been hanging in her closet for months? Did she whip it up at super-speed?) Honestly, though, as long as it isn't the atrocity that David Finch designed, I don't care a great deal.
    Some of the interviews by Rucka and Scott said this was the first costume she wore when she left Themyscira, at least in the version of events established in Year One. It's going to be fresh from the forge in Year One (created by Io?) and scarred and battered in The Lies. Since we never got a proper, fleshed out Year One story for the New 52, it's possible for her to have always had it even without the retcons, and she's donning it again as she goes "back to the beginning" in order to get to the bottom of the lies that are affecting her present.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    There's that it's also obviously not the helmet.

Diana says that it can't be.
    Also possible that the New 52 version of Ares's helmet, along with the exact events it was involved with, are going to be revealed to be fake or not as they seem as these issues progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    And then, I turned the last page and saw the memorial pages to Darwyn Cooke, with Diana looming large, beautiful, and happy.
    Not saying this to be snarky, but that was the most enjoyable surprise in the issue. So nice to see DC give such a lovely memorial.

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    I loved this issue.
    That's all there is to say.

Really underwhelmed by it, didn't really like Matthew Clark's artwork and the story beats could have been done in less than half the pages. They might as well have done an 8-page story like the ones from DC You. It just seemed pretty heavy handed with the overall themes and not too much story.

I'll just take this a prologue and reserve judgement until the true #1 comes along.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    While it's not 100% essential to enjoying a story, I like to know why a character changes their base of operations of out of the blue. It irked me when Azzarello moved her to London and it irks me that Rucka now has her in Paris. Is something like this alone enough to make me drop the book? No, but it certainly helps me put things into context if a reason is given.
    There's a long history of this though, originally she was based in Washington DC, and then Perez had her in Boston, then, I think Based Byrne moved her to Gateway City.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    There's a long history of this though, originally she was based in Washington DC, and then Perez had her in Boston, then, I think Based Byrne moved her to Gateway City.

I'm aware but I think Byrne explained that Diana moved to Gateway City to get a fresh start after the debacle with Artemis becoming Wonder Woman and dying in the role(which her mother put in motion).
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Absolute Power, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Birds of Prey, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Justice Society of America, Shazam, Titans, & Wonder Woman.

I liked it a great deal especially if the endgame is undoing most of Azzarello's and Chiang's garbage. To me, Diana is the one character who actually does need a rebirth of sorts unlike her co-Trinity members Batman, who already had his rebirth in "Superheavy," and Superman, who's now been replaced with the whipped and lame Superdad. Yuck. I'll stop right there.

Anyway, I'm sufficiently intrigued by today's book and even had a laugh or two when Rucka was calling back to THE HIKETEIA from 14 years ago. And we already know more about Diana's pre-Wonder Woman life than we did during 3 years of Azzarello's nonsense.

I'm looking forward to Nicola Scott's pencils big time in WONDER WOMAN #2.