Always Rakzo

Default Man, Black Canary was something wasn't it?

This series has concluded this week but it certainly delivered something that most comics don't: Writing with tons of personality and style that also manages to deliver depth while also being completely faithful to the characters is devoted to.

The final issue was not only a perfect example of that but is also one of the most creative, interesting and satisfying finales I've seen recently. From the metacommentary about how "Black Canary was a critical darling but failed to attract the mainstream audience" to the segments depicting the different moments from Dinah's life, you have a pretty compelling and enjoyable read.

Things are not all what they seem obviously and Brenden Fletcher brings a logical reason for her to come back while also paying a lot of respect for the character of Dinah, the scene where several Black Canaries appear in different costumes tells a lot about it. The final pages also offer a nice sense of closure.

Artwork was pretty distinctive and fitting for the plot and title as well.

Such a good series, going to miss it a lot.

Honestly, I’m a few issues behind on my reading but have definitely enjoyed the series.

This probably was near the top (quality wise) of the DCYou books but did not find an audience. Hopefully it has some life in trade sales.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

It wasn't a bad comic but I dropped it after issue 5 because I felt like it needed some "oomph" which it never got. The whole rock star storyline seemed more like a novelty than anything else and the book never really had an epic feel to it.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I thought it was actually pretty horrible. But I also hated the new Batgirl stories, so different strokes I guess.

This was one truly creative way to end the series, but the storyline as a whole left me cold...

I absolutely LOVED the first three issues and the free preview story, but then the book was plagued by sometimes rushed fill-in art, constant delays and an unintelligible story.

I appreciate how Fletcher attempted to incorporate Dinah's mom into something resembling their pre-New 52 history, and his voice for Dinah is the one time since Flashpoint where she actually felt like herself again. Annie Wu killed it with art and Black Canary's stage costumes, too. But I don't think the book stands as a whole too well...

And I can't believe the coloring for Amanda Waller in the last pages, I had a hard time figuring out who she was supposed to be because she was white. Not Lee Loughridge's first oversight on this book, he also miscolored Heathcliff at the beginning too. Editors must not be paying attention.

Always Rakzo

The series did suffer from delays admitedly but I really liked each chapter for how things were implemented. The exploration of Dinah's character and background, the revelation of her family, the mysteries around them, the overaching plot, the nicely paced action scenes, etc. I felt that everything worked perfectly from issue to issue and even the fill-in artists managed to capture the overall tone of the book.

As a whole I thought this was a quite good love letter to the character and the potential she has.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    This was one truly creative way to end the series, but the storyline as a whole left me cold...

I absolutely LOVED the first three issues and the free preview story, but then the book was plagued by sometimes rushed fill-in art, constant delays and an unintelligible story.

I appreciate how Fletcher attempted to incorporate Dinah's mom into something resembling their pre-New 52 history, and his voice for Dinah is the one time since Flashpoint where she actually felt like herself again. Annie Wu killed it with art and Black Canary's stage costumes, too. But I don't think the book stands as a whole too well...
    I agree. As much as I wanted to love this series I thought it fell flat under the weight of it's overambitious, overblown plot. Fletcher sabotaged his desire to return Dinah to the down-to-earth kick-ass martial artist with a heart of gold with aliens, sci-fi & mystic stories that didn't mesh. Wish it had been a more straight forward story of Dinah connecting with these musicians, dealing with street-level baddies and searching for her mother. Still, his was the best Dinah in the New-52 up until that point. (Thankfully, it feels like Percy may have an even better handle on her in Green Arrow). Really glad DC gave her a go at a solo, though, just sorry I couldn't connect with it like I had hoped to.

That said, I did buy all 12 issues physically and digitally and will have both trades on my shelves because anything Dinah is better than having nothing with her.
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

I hope they try again with DAZZLER next time. :-)
    Same elements are there without having to genre bend the character as much.

It had potential, but for me it failed so badly that I didn't even bother to read last issue. Overall plot structure was a mess and constant artists changes made it a very disappointing experience. And I did enjoy Batgirl and Gotham Academy.

This was one of my favorite DC books since I started reading DC in 2011. I think a lot of people just didn't give it a chance.