Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abe Sapien #34

Resistance Is Fertile Junior Wormwood's Avatar

Default Abe Sapien #34

Holy... I don't think ANYone saw THAT coming! What an issue! This changes things in a major way, and Mark did a great write up over at Mignolaversity. Looking forward to the discussion and conjecture to come.

Also... It's been a while since I've re-read the entire Mignolaverse epic start to finish, but after HiH 10 I couldn't resist. I finished Seed of Destruction last night, and was overwhelmed by the resemblance between the mysterious aliens in that story and Abe's current appearance. And with what we've just learned in Abe Sapien 34, I'm excited to see if these characters will finally step onto the stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Junior Wormwood View Post
    Also... It's been a while since I've re-read the entire Mignolaverse epic start to finish, but after HiH 10 I couldn't resist. I finished Seed of Destruction last night, and was overwhelmed by the resemblance between the mysterious aliens in that story and Abe's current appearance. And with what we've just learned in Abe Sapien 34, I'm excited to see if these characters will finally step onto the stage.
    I have to read up on Abe with collecting all the issues, but my bet is that eversince ancient times these aliens have had a distinct interest in the potential "Ragnarok" part to the World's 'apocalypse' and so with Hellboy's destiny as such.
    Either that or they really like *eggs* for breakfast it must be .
    Last edited by Kees_L; 06-09-2016 at 12:45 PM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Quote Originally Posted by Kees_L View Post
    Either that or they really like *eggs* for breakfast it must be .
    Haha! Perhaps

My point mainly being that it seems the aliens may just be evolved shamans, and after 'Hell On Earth' they might have a much more important role in the story. Which would be such a great payoff in the 20+ year continuity of the larger tale.

Haha! Perhaps

My point mainly being that it seems the aliens may just be evolved shamans, and after 'Hell On Earth' they might have a much more important role in the story. Which would be such a great payoff in the 20+ year continuity of the larger tale.
    Yeah. I suspect that with the latter parts to the main story as having come full circle more and more, the reading experience to for instance "Hellboy: Seed Of Destruction" is gonna have a whole lot more mass to it. Like for the aliens, or the weird mummy heads with the ciphers/symbols, or other chapters to the 'secret history of the world' so to speak.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 06-09-2016 at 01:29 PM. Reason: spelling "ciphers".
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

The issue was really great. I'm excited to see how the last 2 issues wrap up the series and tie into B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth.

Spectacular Member

I wish the overall series had more issues of this quality

I agree that overall the series has felt kind of drawn-out, but in the end hopefully the payoff is worth the journey.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Haha! Perhaps

That's my feeling as well, the Aliens are the Shamans who ascended and as we learned here those are the ones who trapped the Ogdru Jahad so it would connect with the way the Aliens were seen watching over the prison in space.

The Claw of Justice!

I think it's pretty cool that the aliens are finally being explained more than 20 years after they first appeared. The long term mysteries are a big part of why I like Hellboy comics.

During the last 20 years we had horror stories, big mythical adventures, war stories, drama... I would love to see BPRD turning into a cosmic saga!

Quote Originally Posted by seusilva View Post
    During the last 20 years we had horror stories, big mythical adventures, war stories, drama... I would love to see BPRD turning into a cosmic saga!
    It would certainly be an unexpected turn, sort of like the introduction of the Phoenix Force to the X-Men.

Got to admit, I thought regulars on here knew the aliens were probably going to end up followers of the Right (or is it Left?) hand (ie the shamans), it's been hinted at in various places over the many books for quite some time - some went into the earth, some ascended to the heavens.

Some cosmic stuff in Hellboy will be most welcome

All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by timbolton View Post
    Got to admit, I thought regulars on here knew the aliens were probably going to end up followers of the Right (or is it Left?) hand (ie the shamans), it's been hinted at in various places over the many books for quite some time - some went into the earth, some ascended to the heavens.

Maybe I read the issue to quick but I didn't get the connections to the aliens first seen in Seed of Destruction. Can someone break it down for me? Sorry - just the aliens have been a long standing question of mignolaverse for me and I'm very curious what I missed in my read.

Quote Originally Posted by timbolton View Post

I always thought they might be, but this was the closest we've gotten to an explicit statement.