Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Abe Sapien #34

Jack - it'll take a while to find it all, the references are scattered across many issues and several of the different titles. Pretty much there were a lot of hints or mentions that some of the priests "left this earth" as the opposite to the ones who dug deep.

It has definitely been intriguing that throughout the stories eversince Seed of Destruction there have been glimpses on the aliens as literally 'monitoring' the emprisoned Ogrdru Jahad-type deities as referencing potentially several proto-human or inter-dimensional 'heavenly' or be it 'inner-earthly' locations.

In Hellboy: Seed of Destruction as with even stating that any Apocalypse on the "core-world" would also mean the end for any other universes or dimensions.

Whereas Hellboy: the Conqueror Worm presents an alien having followed Hellboy, with apparently/possibly the ability to (limitedly) morph its physique or appearance.

Next to more and more glimpses onto the Hyperborean priests or cults, (especially in titles such as Abe Sapien) as potentially changing shape, both as concentrating on similar proto-human or either inter-dimensional/'heavenly'/'inner-earthly' locations.

Thematically as appearing kindred with specifically the known historical 'Victorian Era' nouveau-scientific devotism towards such 'exotic' topics as 'Atlantis' / 'Lemuria' and other such lost civilisations, as well as Egyptology, mythology, demonology and folklore as all having thrived during particularly Victorian times.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 06-18-2016 at 02:10 PM.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper

Quote Originally Posted by jackstar View Post
    Maybe I read the issue to quick but I didn't get the connections to the aliens first seen in Seed of Destruction. Can someone break it down for me? Sorry - just the aliens have been a long standing question of mignolaverse for me and I'm very curious what I missed in my read.
    I'm reading your post as though you'd be asking specifically about how Abe Sapien #34 references the aliens, but since I have not read that particular issue yet I cannot comment.

But on the whole you might agree or find out how some or more of the Abe Sapien issues, B.P.R.D. issues, as well as Hellboy issues offer or become to offer various possibilities for the reader to be making connections or assumptions, on such stuff as Hyperborian priests as well as the aliens.

The storytelling to the Mignolaverse (to me) hardly ever appears to singularly dictate (from an all-knowing point-of-view) how to be reading, or how to be making connections at all.

Whereas A)
    any sources are or may become visual or witnessable in the way how these comics are comics particularly (even just the specific coloration to textboxes might specify particular voices or sources to be weighing how any reader might)
    and B)
    any sources may prove or seem never infallable in their views, not even scientists or mythical beings, with protagonists however primary or secundary as seeming prone or capable of not knowing everything correctly all the time.

How for example Hellboy is said to be various things, by many different voices and factions, but with any such destiny as still up in the air,
    even when most all appears already said and done!

As if overall the storytelling appears to typically involve organic development, in which depending per each variating source or perspective many things become 'supposable'.

As if the storytelling is aimed to develop for the reader as 'graphical' and 'intuitive' or 'associatively' as possible.

As a reader I have been following things both as continually re-reading stuff for finding out what connections I can be making from my own reading, the more any storytelling would be to develop.
    Since I'm guessing this is what storytelling would be about, about exposing myself to it in order to be making my own connections as well as (I) could be.
    Last edited by Kees_L; 06-18-2016 at 11:36 AM. Reason: spells.
    SLINT / Mike Mignola / Walt Whitman / Arthur Lourié / Dr. Pepper