Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Default The Success & Failure of DC's Rebirth... So Far

Brett White runs through three weeks of DC's "Rebirth" stories and isolates what's working for him, plus the initiative's one massive misstep.

Full article here.

His one complaint seems to be that he doesn't know the answer to the mystery at the beginning of the story. The whole plot of rebirth is about finding out the answers to his questions. Maybe I misunderstood the guy's article.

hate cant reach you here Harpsikord's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelocust View Post
    His one complaint seems to be that he doesn't know the answer to the mystery at the beginning of the story. The whole plot of rebirth is about finding out the answers to his questions. Maybe I misunderstood the guy's article.
    I think it's more that it's yet to be touched on, which isn't true.

Wally will be dealing with this in Flash and Titans and Wonder Woman wouldn't be having this memory issue if not for Rebirth.
    "We come into this world alone and we leave the same way. The time we spent in between - time spent alive, sharing, learning together... is all that makes life worth living." - Jean Grey

Quote Originally Posted by ilovelocust View Post
    And apparently he didn't understand Aquaman's character. Which is weird considering the ENTIRE issue was devoted to recapping his core character conflicts/traits. In fact in every other review the thing most criticized is that it spent too much time spelling out who Aquaman is.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Time for Dissection FlashingSabre's Avatar

Honestly, the Rebirth plotline is irrelevant for most of the books right now. Enjoy what's going on now, worry about continuity later.

For me, just knowing that at some point all the old stories will sorta kinda have happened is enough for now. As long as its possible, and feels like the same characters, readers can fill in the blanks of what happened themselves.
    Cyclops was right

Amazing Member

I haven't enjoyed comics this much in many years. First time in a long time I walked into a store, spent all my money on DC, and walked out.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

The only books so far which the Rebirth plot line is directly relevant to would be Flash, Batman and possibly Titans though I'm not sure if the incident with Mr. Twister in Titans has any connection to Dr. M and his plans. No one outside of Batman, Flash and Wally are even aware anything is even wrong so, for myself, I'm not really expecting to see anything regarding that plot line so soon in these other books. Also given the introductory nature of the Rebirth specials I wasn't even expecting to see anything dealing with that particular plot line in those particular books anyway.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 06-08-2016 at 03:56 PM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Canadian Curmudgeon Scott M Davis's Avatar

So far out of the 9 titles released, I feel like there has only been 2 duds; Batman and Green Lanterns. They just included characters I have no interest in reading about, but neither are bad comics.
    Pull List: Catalyst Prime Titles and Dinosaucers

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JasonTodd428 View Post
    The only books so far which the Rebirth plot line is directly relevant to would be Flash, Batman and possibly Titans though I'm not sure if the incident with Mr. Twister in Titans has any connection to Dr. M and his plans. No one outside of Batman, Flash and Wally are even aware anything is even wrong so, for myself, I'm not really expecting to see anything regarding that plot line so soon in these other books. Also given the introductory nature of the Rebirth specials I wasn't even expecting to see anything dealing with that particular plot line in those particular books anyway.
    I'd say Superman is relevant since besides Wally he's the only one that remembers everything from before New 52. I'm sure he'll be brought into the Batman Flash secret society before long.

Just reading that one page with Clayface now makes me want to read "Detective Comics".
    The Gypsies had no home. The Doors had no bass.

Does our reality determine our fiction or does our fiction determine our reality?

Whenever the question comes up about who some mysterious person is or who is behind something the answer will always be Frank Stallone.

"This isn't a locking the barn doors after the horses ran way situation this is a burn the barn down after the horses ran away situation."

Niffleheim

The only book that i'm loving right now is The Flash and Green Arrow. Aquaman was a boring rehashing mess. I haven't read Batman (I'll trade wait) and i don't intend to read Supes.
    Last edited by Tofali; 06-08-2016 at 04:57 PM.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by krighton View Post
    I'd say Superman is relevant since besides Wally he's the only one that remembers everything from before New 52. I'm sure he'll be brought into the Batman Flash secret society before long.
    Knew I forgot someone. Yeah, I expect Superman will also be relevant at some point as well. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Loved everything I've read so far. Been really nicely surprised by both Green Arrow and Aquaman, each of which I thought were nice set ups for whatever's coming. At the moment, I'd say DC's hitting all the right notes.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

The title of the article just feels like clickbait. There haven't been any flatout failures in Rebirth. Like with any event or initiative there are books of varying quality and ones people may enjoy more then others. But overall Rebirth has been pretty darn great imo.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Mighty Member

Honestly I did not think Rebirth was that confusing. The short story: We are taking a completely new direction with our characters in terms of tone. We are also incorporating some elements from their pre-flashpoint days while making those pre-flashpoint stories more relevant. How? Well, we are saying that our current characters are not new versions of our pre-flashpoint characters; instead they are the pre-flashpoint characters, but slightly changed.

All the stories that happened prior to Flashpoint happened to these characters. Then Dr. Manhatten used his powers to change reality. Characters re-lived some of their past history in different ways and generally don't remember anything prior to Flashpoint. Only kind of ghost memories/a feelings of deja vu remains.

Eventually characters will confront Dr. Manhattan and the Watchmen in a big event and realize what was done to them and what they've lost. Whether they regain their memories is unclear. I doubt that any status quo will go back to what it was prior to flashpoint.