Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Doesn't "Not Robin" have a name..?
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Doesn't "Not Robin" have a name..?
    Good question. What is his name? And where did he come from? Did I miss an issue?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Beaubier View Post
    I third this. Batman had great story seeds to follow that his Rebirth story could've opened with. Instead he's chilling with not Robin and figuring out what to do about the "monster of the week. What happened to the other Jokers in Rebirth? No mention of the pin he found? Etc.. It was really underwhelming and it failed to make me interested to start reading Batman as a regular series.

I'm pretty excited Kate Kane is back though. Haven't read the new Detective comics yet but I'm looking forward to it. I hope it doesn't disappoint.
    I believe the idea is that Batman always has a lot of coals on the fire, and while he will be getting back to the Jokers/Watchmen stuff, he has more immediate issues to deal with.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GigiFusc View Post
    Good question. What is his name? And where did he come from? Did I miss an issue?
    They have not yet revealed the name that Duke will use in his costumed identity. Heck, with a name like "Duke Thomas" they probably aren't in a rush.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    They have not yet revealed the name that Duke will use in his costumed identity. Heck, with a name like "Duke Thomas" they probably aren't in a rush.
    We saw someone in Duke's costume in flash-forwards and visions Batman had during the Snyder run where they were called Lark, so I'm assuming that's going to be his codename.

But where did they meet post Rebirth? I don't remember reading them meeting and agreeing to work together in Batman??

BANNED

But where did they meet post Rebirth? I don't remember reading them meeting and agreeing to work together in Batman??
    They didn't meet post Rebirth. Rebirth isn't a reboot that invalidates what came before. Batman met Duke Thomas in the Zero Year storyline, and then was reunited with him in another Batman storyline (I forget specifically). Those stories still count.

Ultimate Member

It is a bit confusing

They did meet in Zero Year. Where Duke was I would think a little kid about Damian's age or a year younger.

He is seen (or a version of him) is seen in the Batman books for most of 2014. He was always in the background with his parents.

He met Batman during the battle with Joker and that is when his parents got gas. So I would probably say the arc before Gordon took over.

That version featured a Duke that was Tim Drake's age range. That is where they met.

We Are Robin gave us a version that much like Black Wally West-a kid with a ton of baggage and a possible stint in juvenile hall.

It's not made clear how he figured out Bruce and Batman were the same guy.

Nor is it clear how he aged that quick and bounced around from foster home to foster home in such a short time between Bruce going MIA.

It like every writer just made up his story.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauul View Post
    I have to say, this article reflects my feelings about Rebirth too.

Although, no ones memories have been altered. Reality has been restructured. Any recovered memories, are memories from a previous reality. Think of Olivia's memories about Peter in Season 4 of Fringe.

I do love the tone and the writing.

But, DC are essentially seeding their next reboot already. It's hard to see any of the stories as relevant, as when those ten years are restored to the timeline, we'll get a whole new reality. I mean, I guess we would be getting another reboot eventually, but it's weird to have it acknowledged up front like this.

The most relevant stories currently happening in the DC Universe are going to be about rewriting everything that we're currently reading.

I came away from the one shot seeing this big red reset button that DC have introduced, but haven't pressed yet.

It makes me really excited to see what happens when that reset button does get pressed, but that unfortunately makes me less excited about what is currently going on.

I think Rebirth is a step in the right direction for DC Comics. I just want them to take a few more steps in that same direction too.
    Has there been a time jump between pre-Rebirth, and Rebirth? Of a few months maybe?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Has there been a time jump between pre-Rebirth, and Rebirth? Of a few months maybe?
    No. There is no sweeping moving forward of time other than whatever time jumps happens in specific titles, which tend to happen from time to time anyway.

Thanks. I thought I detected a lay time, after where each books picks up. But on reading the Rebirth prequel, I see they direct people to read two books before this, so how much time could have passed between those two, and Rebirth?

But I do feel time has passed before the next 4 issues of Rebirth come out. Batman isn't even refering to the smilie face badge he discovered in the cellar.

And the whole Wally West return in the Rebirth prequel hasn't been addressed yet, unless this weeks Flash covered anything. Wally West should be going gang busters telling everyone about this mystery factor affecting memory, now that he is solid again.
    Last edited by jackolover; 06-16-2016 at 06:56 AM.

All-New Member

Been down so long it looks like up.

I think I have finally passed the point of no return with superheroes. Been reading them since the 60s and done it all from the perspective of a fan, a creator, a professional at a comics publisher, independent comics dealer, and manager of a comic book store. It is official--I no longer really give a flying shit about the state of DC or Marvel. DC Rebirth, Convergence, Regurgence, you all can call it whatever you like, it is simply evidence of the utter FLOUNDERing the publishers are going through as their characters fail to resonate with the readership anymore. It could be that funny books cost $3.99 a pop nowadays or that the only place to buy them is in a specialty store, for all intents and purposes.

I feel for the publishers, truly, and Marvel is as screwed as DC in this regard. The characters are 'reimagined', made dark, made light, have their sex changed, and yet...nothing sticks it seems past a dozen issues when it's BACK to issue zero or issue one again, and there is earth 2 superman, earth 1 superman, earth C superman, prime superman, flashpoint superman, and now all the other publishers they've bought out must somehow need to be shoehorned into the ONE universe...why, why, why?

I'm not saying it's not pretty stuff, meaningful effort, occasionally nice artwork and good storytelling, but enough. I will read...maybe the occasional trade collection, short run done well, but overall the publishers now approach their storytelling without a strong vision. The current vision is adulterated by accountants, movie deals, changes in editorial approach, and licensing and merchandising. It's no longer a comic book publisher but a springboard for STUFF, other media, and a lot of crap I am not interested in.

I am done, and I am serious, and I'm closing in on 63. Done and done, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post

And the whole Wally West return in the Rebirth prequel hasn't been addressed yet, unless this weeks Flash covered anything. Wally West should be going gang busters telling everyone about this mystery factor affecting memory, now that he is solid again.
    Titans is currently dealing with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Endsong View Post
    I think it's more that it's yet to be touched on, which isn't true.

Wally will be dealing with this in Flash and Titans and Wonder Woman wouldn't be having this memory issue if not for Rebirth.
    Yep. And this is being dealt with even more in Superman.

Not DC's fault that the writer happened to choose five series that aren't advancing the Rebirth storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_crisp View Post
    Just reading that one page with Clayface now makes me want to read "Detective Comics".
    You SHOULD. Detective is possibly the best title DC is publishing now. I'd make Superman and Titans close seconds.