BANNED

Default Batman vs Superman movie made me want to read the comics...now where to start?

I know a lot of people did not like the B vs S movie. Personally I loved it and I have never been a fan of DC...ever. In fact I have never read a DC comic in my life I don't think. But the movie made me want to read some DC...specifically Batman.

I bought DC rebirth but I could tell that there was a whole lot of "stuff" they referenced to that really was not for a new dc reader.

So I loaded up Comixology and bought Batman #1 from 2011.

I had no idea where to start but I know I can't go back to the terrible art of the original Batman #1. So is this Batman #1 from 2011 a good place to start?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ohnooze View Post
    I know a lot of people did not like the B vs S movie. Personally I loved it and I have never been a fan of DC...ever. In fact I have never read a DC comic in my life I don't think. But the movie made me want to read some DC...specifically Batman.

I bought DC rebirth but I could tell that there was a whole lot of "stuff" they referenced to that really was not for a new dc reader.

I had no idea where to start but I know I can't go back to the terrible art of the original Batman #1. So is this Batman #1 from 2011 a good place to start?
    That should be fine. You might also want to look for some slightly earlier Batman stuff written by a writer named Grant Morrison.

That's pretty much where I started. I had read Blackest Night (a Green Lantern story) before that, but from a friend. The New 52 Batman #1 is where I started buying for myself. You can branch off from there with whichever characters interest you. It's nice that nowadays with digital comics, you can buy entire runs without having to track down trades or older issues.

There is actually a pinned thread on the Batman forum specifically geared for someone like yourself.

http://community.comicbookresources....-Recent-Events

Some of the 'recent' stuff is no longer as recent as it was, but most of it is still good.

As a bit of personal preference I would have replaced Engame with Court of Owls, issues 1-7 of the New 52, which you have started anyway. It is more new reader friendly IMO and definately more popular.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 06-08-2016 at 04:28 PM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Also what are you interested in and which characters would you like to read about?
    More big name characters or also smaller ones?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kivatt View Post
    Also what are you interested in and which characters would you like to read about?
    More big name characters or also smaller ones?
    Not sure...I'm curious about a team of heroes. Maybe teen titans or something like that? I have no idea....I really don't know anything about DC other than the old school guys like superman, batman, aqua-man and wonder-woman.

Not sure...I'm curious about a team of heroes. Maybe teen titans or something like that? I have no idea....I really don't know anything about DC other than the old school guys like superman, batman, aqua-man and wonder-woman.
    There is a Justice League title with Batman, Superman, etc. that launched in 2011 that is definately new reader friendly. The current Teen Titans series hasn't been well received, but some of the older stuff is pretty good. There is a new Titans (old sidekicks grown up: Robin, Speedy, Kid-Flash, Aqualad, etc.) series out next week that I personally am looking forward to, and a new Justice League title out in July.

Titans may not be a great jumping on point though, since it starts off the heels of the 8 issue Titans Hunt mini-series from last year and the DCU Rebirth one-shot.
    Last edited by Pohzee; 06-08-2016 at 04:54 PM.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Quite a lot of people actually liked BvS then you think, anyway glad to see it have this effect on you! Something similar happened to me when I watched MoS, never was a fan of Supes never read a solo Supes title before but after that film let's just say Supes entered my top 5 fav heroes list!

As for new reading, I'd start with the individual rebirth one shots that are coming out their much more new reader friendly then the DCUR one shot, as for older stuff Batman 2011 is an incredible run (well the last arc was meh) The Dark Knight Returns, The Killing Joke, Penguin: Pain and Prejudice, all of Grant Morrisons stuff, Batman and Robin 2011 is good run too, as is Detective Comics 2011 from #13-40.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Glad BVS got you interested in comics. I would start with the Rebirth books that started this month as they are meant to be a jumping on point for new readers.

As for older books. Grant Morrison's Action Comics run is pretty good as far as Superman books go. And I second the Geoff Johns Justice League run.
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Some random books that spring to mind if you're looking for the bigger characters:
    Superman: All-Star Superman by Grant Morrison, and Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow by Alan Moore are perhaps some of the best tales ever told with the character.
    Batman: Grant Morrison's run is the longest and best run out of the recent stuff, and you shouldn't have any problem finding the order of the trades online.
    Wonder Woman: The Greg Rucka run is being reprinted in a new series of paperbacks starting in July, so I would check those out instead of hunting down the older ones. He's writing her Rebirth series, so it will give you a taste of his writing. Grant Morrison's Wonder Woman: Earth One is also a great, weird and beautiful modernization of her old 1940s stories.
    The Flash: The Flash by Geoff Johns series of books and The Flash by Grant Morrison and Mark Millar are great, and they're going to be starting a The Flash by Mark Waid series in December.
    For Green Lantern and Aquaman, go with the Geoff Johns stuff.

I'm not sure how far back you want to go, but the trades reprinting the old New Teen Ttians run from the 80s are also available if you want a team book. They're really dated and cheesy, but still have great story telling and character work if you can get past the hokiness.

Plus, jumping on now with the current series is an option too.

BANNED

Thanks for all the tips guys.