Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    It's because Green Lantern is the one major League property that can have diversity injected into it without too much extra work.

I don't like Hal Jordan much at all, so I'm good with him being off the League. It helps that both Jessica and Simon interest me, but then again, a lot of minority characters interest me. They bring a certain perspective that can seldom be done with white characters. I'm just so used to the white male perspective that it's nice to see comics moving away from that. Not really moving away from that, but moving away from it being the only perspective.

I will say, I do miss Cyborg with the Titans. At the very least, he should graduate to the League, not be a founder, but I feel like he loses a lot of what made him a great character when you take his friends away.
    Yeah...they can easily make it so that Cyborg was part of the Teen Titans at some point, feeling he fit in better with the younger heroes or maybe just serving as a liaison between the TT and the League. In fact, I like how they handled it in the last DC animated film.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Appreciate this that's really interesting given number of appearances I'm wondering what happened to Elongated Man that has him not as premiered as the others.
    I think that has something to do with when he joined and when this list was made. Much like Zatanna's number. I think this was actually published IN the Justice League comic within a year of when Zatanna joined, and I think Ralph had not been a member for much less time than that.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Yeah...they can easily make it so that Cyborg was part of the Teen Titans at some point, feeling he fit in better with the younger heroes or maybe just serving as a liaison between the TT and the League. In fact, I like how they handled it in the last DC animated film.
    I like the liason role, or just "friend who hung out from time to time and got wrapped up in adventures". It would be very easy for him to form a bond with Dick as fellow young heroes and then for Dick to introduce him to the TT.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glennsimpson View Post
    seems a good time to throw out my usual line - people who insist on the classic white characters getting all the spotlight (or are opposed to replacing a white character with a non-white one or any of the other things that tends to happen in the 21st century) are not necessarily racist.

But they do have their priorities mixed up, in my opinion.
    quoted for truth!!

Never Giving Up! GreenLanternRanger's Avatar

Um, just to be abit technical here the Justice League Rebirth book is a different beast from the Justice League of America Rebirth book. We don't know what the line-up for JLA Rebirth will be.

As for JL Rebirth, I see nothing wrong with the line-up. Seems the OP is just mad because its not what he personally wants.

Although I do agree 2 lanterns on a team may be overkill, they are just rookies, so one could argue it takes both of them to equal one Hal Jordan/John Stewart/Guy Gardner/etc
    There's a Time For Peace, and Then There's a Time To Punch Nazi Scumbags in the Face!!

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

^After reading GLs Rebirth makes sense why their both on the team. And having one lantern between them effectively makes them like one GL .
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Using Mike's Amazing World, here's the JLA of the '70s, from JLA #78 up through JLA #173:

1. Superman (88 issues)
    2. Batman (82)
    3. Flash (80)
    4. Green Lantern/Hal Jordan (78)
    5. Green Arrow (71)
    6. Black Canary (67)
    7. Hawkman (64)
    8. Atom (56)
    9. Aquaman (48)
    10. Elongated Man (43)
    11. Red Tornado (38)
    12. Wonder Woman (32)
    13. Hawkgirl (12)
    14. Zatanna (11)

And from Brave and the Bold #28 up through JLA #173 (60s and 70s combined):

1. Superman (152 issues)
    2. Batman (151)
    3. Flash (148)
    4. Green Lantern/Hal Jordan (146)
    5. Green Arrow (122)
    6. Atom (106)
    7. Aquaman (96)
    8. Hawkman (94)
    9. Wonder Woman (88)
    10. Black Canary (69)
    11. Martian Manhunter (44)
    12. Elongated Man (43)
    13. Red Tornado (38)
    14. Hawkgirl (12)
    15. Zatanna (11)
    Wow, 60s-70s were not a good time for Wonder Woman. In the 70s Black Canary and EM spent more time with the JL than she did. Good thing George Perez revitalized her in the 80s, or else WW might have faded into irrelevance.

BANNED

I'm fine with the main JL not having the original lineup. Morrisons JLA is one of the most popular comics of all time and it only had 5 out of 7 founding members. I feel like as long as the team has the Trinity, a Flash, and a GL, then they're honoring the original lineup.

But I agree that 2 GLs is overkill and may drag the series down a bit. That and Bryan Hitch writing has me pretty skeptical about this series. I don't think it will be better than Johns run, which I wasn't the biggest fan of either.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GlennSimpson View Post
    Seems a good time to throw out my usual line - people who insist on the classic white characters getting all the spotlight (or are opposed to replacing a white character with a non-white one or any of the other things that tends to happen in the 21st century) are NOT necessarily racist.

But they do have their priorities mixed up, IN MY OPINION.
    Or they could just be banging the drum for a favourite. (quick game of Devil's Advocate there)

BANNED

The concept of the Big Seven needs to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Trey Strain View Post
    The concept of the Big Seven needs to go.
    For me its really the big 5 archetypes. I want A Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, and GL. I think a few of them should be the founders, but you could easily take a few of those and replace them with Nightwing, Wally/Jesse, Simon/Jessica,etc. and I wouldn't care so long as the writing is good.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    I'm fine with the main JL not having the original lineup. Morrisons JLA is one of the most popular comics of all time and it only had 5 out of 7 founding members. I feel like as long as the team has the Trinity, a Flash, and a GL, then they're honoring the original lineup.

But I agree that 2 GLs is overkill and may drag the series down a bit. That and Bryan Hitch writing has me pretty skeptical about this series. I don't think it will be better than Johns run, which I wasn't the biggest fan of either.
    The writing is the most alarming aspect about JL, for me.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WhipWhirlwind View Post
    For me its really the big 5 archetypes. I want A Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, and GL. I think a few of them should be the founders, but you could easily take a few of those and replace them with Nightwing, Wally/Jesse, Simon/Jessica,etc. and I wouldn't care so long as the writing is good.
    I wouldn't put Batman on it. I'd use Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash and GL. I'd use Batman in a street-lever brand.

http://community.comicbookresources....Justice-League

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Icefalcon View Post
    Or they could just be banging the drum for a favourite. (quick game of Devil's Advocate there)
    And again, that doesn't make them a bad person, but they are putting their own needs ahead of those of others that our society has traditionally handed a raw deal. So not a bad person, but they could be better. Again, my opinion.

It's the difference between buying yourself a fancy lunch vs. buying a simple one and an extra sandwich for a homeless person.

Considering that Morrison's JLA had Wally and Kyle, the actual original Big 7 hasn't been seen since their inception way back when. And I'm more than okay with that.

As far as the current team, if Simon and Jessica are both assigned to Earth as partners, it makes sense for them to have an equal stake in JLA membership. As for Cyborg, my concern is less about him replacing J'onn (who will be featured regularly soon, maybe in another JL title, I'm willing to bet) than it is his past with the Teen Titans being negated. Considering what a pinnacle in DC's history that run of books was, they should be among the untouchable when it comes to any kind of history/universe reworking.

Ultimately, I think the Big Seven is kind of an outdated concept and can be dismissed. Obviously you want a few big names on the line-up (Wonder Woman, Flash, Aquaman), but with so many different and, in some cases, more interesting characters out there, both with and without a history with the League, they should be given a shot to stand by the big names, prove their worth, and ideally create fans from a new generation of readers.
    Last edited by Kaijudo; 06-09-2016 at 10:01 AM.