Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

i loved ultimate x-men for the majority of the run. after ultimatum i gave up though, but miller's work was amazing

I loved some of the story arcs of the ultimate x-men . The begin arc was a great introduction to the ultimate universe but slowly i just lost interest.

I thought the first arc was alright. ultimate wolverine is to me a terrible version of the character.

Never actually sat and invested time into reading UltX. I got bits and pieces of the characters and some of what they were about through Cataclysm(Which I really, really, really, REALLY, REALLY regret reading), but that's about it.

Millar's first couple of arcs were pretty decent. His best ideas went to The Ultimates(which, I, and II are some of the best superhero comics out there), but overall I thought he did well(his Storm was horrible though). The later runs were definitely diminishing returns. Cool art, but the stories/characters weren't so great. Ultimatum definitely derailed this entire universe. I only picked up a few of Wood's arc, but it seemed kinda crazy. Overall, strong start that got weaker and ultimately went out with a whimper.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Astonishing Member AbnormallyNormal's Avatar

I think the problem with volume 2 was so many famous X-characters were already gone and unuseable

It was also a very dark depressing scenario

But I liked it, it had realism and it was complicated narratively
    Forget the old ways - Krakoa is god.

OBEY

As far as I'm concerned, everything pre-Ultimatum to come out of Ultimate X-Men was crap.

It suffered from the Ultimates syndrome that plagued most of the UU. The focus on trying to make the characters more "real" just ended up making them far less likeable. What's more is that the plot was weak to boot.

Ultimate Comics: X-Men was good though, both Spencer's aborted run and Wood's run. It did something different with the concept of mutants, the plot was good, and the characters were well-written and interesting.
    On ye olde CBR

Rachel turned into Ahab's baby momma by Marvel. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by AbnormallyNormal View Post
    Surely you at least agree the art (especially for the covers) was vastly superior post Ultimatum
    Looking pretty alone is never enough. They killed sll their a-liters in one fell swoop and the book suffered for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut Punch View Post

Ultimate Comics: X-Men was good though, both Spencer's aborted run and Wood's run. It did something different with the concept of mutants, the plot was good, and the characters were well-written and interesting.
    I completely agree. Wood's run on ultimate x-men was my first introduction to the ultimate line.

BANNED

I followed the Ultimate Universe up to the point that Jeph Loeb got on it and turned it into a mockery of itself.

Before that it was some of the best comics Marvel has ever put out.
    It had my second favourite incarnation of the X-Men (after Grant Morrison's), and my favourite version of the Fantastic four.

Mark Millar, flawed writer that he is, also really showcased the Mutants being portrayed as a hated minority more than any other X-writer I know of, showing anti-Mutant bigotry as small-minded, petty, cruel, and hateful, like any other bigotry, and not as guys dressing up in costumes, speachifying about purity and religion.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoSteve
    I thought the first arc was alright. ultimate wolverine is to me a terrible version of the character.
    I think he was superior to the regular version.
    He was a remorseles cold-blooded killer, brainwashed to be that way by Weapon X, exploited by Magneto, who found his humanity again after being shown by Xavier that a better, a real life is realistically possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    I followed the Ultimate Universe up to the point that Jeph Loeb got on it and turned it into a mockery of itself.
    Jeff Loeb destroyed that universe with one-single comic. Thank got he isn't writing any current books at Marvel...for now.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LocoSteve View Post
    Jeff Loeb destroyed that universe with one-single comic. Thank got he isn't writing any current books at Marvel...for now.
    He's an executive producer on all of Marvel's tv projects now, including the Netflix ones. Kinda hard to believe considering how good those are.

I know right.

The only ultimate x-character i enjoyed throughout the line was Jean Grey. I thought it was a neat interpretation of the character.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoSteve View Post
    I'm curious as to why you didn't like that version of Logan. He is by far my favorite version.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.