View Poll Results: Does it offend you?

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES. The films should adhere to comic canon, and this should never have been allowed.

17 22.97%
  • NO. The films should not be restricted from new avenues, unbound by comic canon.

57 77.03%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

It was one of the few things I actually liked in the movie.
    Kickstarter for my comic Is'nana the Were-Spider, Vol 1 and 2!

Horror/fantasy coming of age book about the son of Anansi the Spider seeking for his place in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Supernature View Post
    I don't mind the idea but Gawd... it could have been executed better.
    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    It didn't offend me for different from the comic, it bothered me because the writing was so bad.
    Pretty much how I feel.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tiamatty View Post
    That it moves away from comic canon doesn't bother me. The movies aren't the comics, and shouldn't feel obligated to be beholden to them. I was more bothered by how weak the romance was. They didn't have much romantic chemistry, and there were some serious problems with some elements of how it was handled.
    Pretty much this.

It's one of the "Whedonisms" that didn't work in AOU.

I wouldn't say it offended me, because that's a very strong word, but it certainly wasn't an element I really enjoyed about Age of Ultron nor want to see more of in future Avengers movies.

I generally hope and prefer the movies stay as true to the comics as possible when it comes to characters and relationships, so that was already a knock against it, but it's also doesn't hold a candle to the relationship between Bucky and Black Widow in the comics, which thanks to Brutasha we might potentially never see on-screen (though the Russo's and screenwriters never establishing their past history in the Cap movies doesn't help either). It also just felt very random and undeveloped in the film itself.

By comparison, I'm really loving what they're doing with Vision and Scarlet Witch in the movies .

Team DD +++ BuckyNat Master Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MindofShadow View Post
    nothing like dating the dude who put a bullet through you, tried to kill you another time, and then almost choked the like out of you.

sounds... AWESOME~!
    ... Exactly. True love.

And it wasn't a bullet. It was cupid's arrow.
    Currently reading:
    - Gangsta.
    - Gangsta. Cursed
    - Tokyo Ghoul:re

Quote Originally Posted by Agent MM View Post
    ... Exactly. True love.

And it wasn't a bullet. It was cupid's arrow.
    LOL. Nice job.

I voted no, but I wasn't enthused about it either. Really, I was just apathetic towards the whole relationship.
    I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
    - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Does this blatant disregard for ignoring comic canon (or lack there of) offend you? Thoughts?
    Complaining about the movies taking liberty with the comic canon is a lost cause. All the MCU movies take liberties with the canon to some degree. The only reason I disliked it was because I felt it was really silly and badly handled.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent MM View Post
    Do I object to Black Widow & Hulk?
    Yeah. Apart from me thinking Widow/Hulk is poop , it also might have diminished any chance (if any) of Bucky/Nat. I'm sure there would be some accusation of Marvel passing the only female Avenger around.
    This exactly. Dammit, Marvel.....
    Favorites: Natasha Romanova, Dinah Lance, Janet Van Dyne, Selina Kyle, Emma Frost, Kitty Pryde, Kate Bishop, Sharon Carter, Sue Storm Richards, Carol Danvers

Does anyone actually oppose the idea itself? Black Widow and Banner/Hulk, I mean, regardless of how well it could've been portrayed or not?

Because to me it's a huge stretch to even entertain the thought. Can't see Black Widow playing Betty Ross's position at all.
    Currently Reading: DC: Shazam /// MARVEL: Daredevil, Invaders, Winter Soldier /// IMAGE: Seven to Eternity /// TITAN: Bloodborne

Upcoming Reading:

Trade Waiting: IMAGE: East of West, Black Road, The Black Monday Murders /// DARK HORSE: Hellboy, Witcher

No way.

Banner is not the type of guy for Natasha.

"Who wouldn't go out with the Black Widow? I'd strangle a litter of kittens for one dinner with her!"
    Adrian Toomes aka the Vulture

"Natasha Romanoff, A.K.A. Black Widow - ex-KGB, formerly with S.H.I.E.L.D...Probably the brains of this operation.I have followed her career, and she has been consistently UNDERRATED."

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post
    Does anyone actually oppose the idea itself? Black Widow and Banner/Hulk, I mean, regardless of how well it could've been portrayed or not?

Because to me it's a huge stretch to even entertain the thought. Can't see Black Widow playing Betty Ross's position at all.
    Yes. Both because I prefer those characters in other relationships and because I don't feel like the relationship even works as an idea, irregardless of the execution.

BANNED

Haha I actually expect this to become the latest sexuality/opression disaster thread. The faxt it didn't is great!

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Far be it for me to object to anyone's romantic interests. Even if they're fictional characters.

Unless it involves:
    - squirrely people (no love for Doreen! )
    - Sentry (disgusting Rogue insinuation)
    - Sue & Doom
    - Kitty & guys named Peter
    - incest or rape or stuff like that.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Of Atlantis View Post

I guess in theory it could have been made to work with enuff creativity, but on my personal list Banner would be low on the list for Nat to date.

Extraordinary Member

Obviously it didn't offend me, but it didn't work. Joss Whedon was trying to find something for everybody to do in the movie and he didn't want to do the obvious Black Widow/Hawkeye pairing, I understand that. It was almost a process of elimination: he couldn't do a romance with Cap, Iron Man or Thor because they have love interests in their own movies.

But it just didn't feel right, probably because most of us have come to expect these movies to have a little bit of continuity in them. If they'd even hinted at it in Avengers or The Winter Soldier then it might have worked (just like people accepted the Vision/Scarlet Witch 'ship because it was hinted at in Avengers 2). As it is, it felt like they were being pushed together because they were two attractive people who didn't have their own movies.