Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

I suspect that the ‘story’ is that the gods are somehow special. It makes sense that the pantheon would spend centuries thinking they were somehow different from ‘mortals’. Now that we know The Great Darkness is death. The only person running from it is Ananke. She is blind to the simple concept that death is inevitable and ironically ‘necessary’. Her false narrative is to fight death. To avoid it. That somehow she is a guardian of culture by staying alive and facilitating the Pantheon.

The rules are a story. All human constructs are story. Culture is seen as a necessary story, but we should never forget it is artificial.

It does not lessen religion or mythology to accept that it is made up by man. The Romans understood this. Very few cultures grasp it.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 09-16-2018 at 11:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I suspect that the ‘story’ is that the gods are somehow special. It makes sense that the pantheon would spend centuries thinking they were somehow different from ‘mortals’. Now that we know The Great Darkness is death. The only person running from it is Ananke. She is blind to the simple concept that death is inevitable and ironically ‘necessary’. Her false narrative is to fight death. To avoid it. That somehow she is a guardian of culture by staying alive and facilitating the Pantheon.

The rules are a story. All human constructs are story. Culture is seen as a necessary story, but we should never forget it is artificial.

It does not lessen religion or mythology to accept that it is made up by man. The Romans understood this. Very few cultures grasp it.
    That last bit is particularly fascinating, and actually very thematically relevant: that divinity ceases to be divine when stripped down to the fact most of it begins as stories someone told and were believed as facts by masses for a long time. Maybe that's the third theme Gillen is always throwing around in his writer notes, the inherent nature of culture and our perception of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinjonator View Post
    LOL, such a Gillen thing to do. Now I think one of the theories floating around that the series will actually end on a subdued, subtle note and not with a bang seems more possible.

OR, it might be so crazy and OTT that "Okay." will be all we'll be able to muster. Either way, I'm SO in.

BTW, is that Jon in the main Cover? Or maybe just a fan?