Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast
    Amazing Member

“Them or me? ... No choice at all.”
    Damn!
    I was not expecting that.

Holy ****. Woden 1830s Frankenstein Monster is Woden 1920s Metropolis Robot.

It was nice to see The Romantic plot finally come to fruition. I was beginning to wonder, as time was running out. Should have guessed it was related to the Great Darkness. I guess I had a more ‘romantic’ view of the potential for that character, but I was beggining to worry she would turn up as an aide towards the end which would feel very forced given she hasn’t been around in the main story. In the end she has a minor part in the story but an important part of the overall plot, which feels about right.

I really liked the cliffhanger. Especially the use of ‘you’re not dead, you’re just sleeping’ evoking the mystery cults. I hope this is also a foreshadowing of a mystery cult ending which is what I have been predicting for a few years now. I mean, why else have Persephone as the point of view character?

I’m hoping Mimir gives Tara Baph’s body.

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    I’m hoping Mimir gives Tara Baph’s body.
    I think the idea is that Dio and Baph have swapped places. Expect him on life support, not dead.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I think the idea is that Dio and Baph have swapped places. Expect him on life support, not dead.
    I hadn’t considered THAT. Exciting!

I hadn’t considered THAT. Exciting!
    Well you know. If it’s a real happy ending maybe everybody lives? Well not everybody but you know, people we like. The Morrigan was creepy, Sakhmet was Joker level scary, nobody liked Woden, I guess Amaterasu is the most significant casualty. She had a beautiful death though, thanks to that gruesome but poetic splash page.

Hmmm

I don’t fully understand wtf I just read. “She-in-thirds” suggests Norns or Morrigan more than Persephone.

I think Lucifer’s first recurrence... initience? Is the one that died in the chair.

Hey guys.

I've been reading WicDiv since the beginning but kinda dropped it for a while because I wasn't managing to follow the story. Last week I started catching up and BOOM, almost all the answers are being delivered.

I still have some questions tho. Maybe someone picked up:

- Did they show explicitly why the first Ananke started the killing? And why Persephone wanted to kill her?

- Is the Great Darkness a lie told by Ananke?

- What were those Shadow Creatures?

- The baby-slaughtering Ananke manipulated Baal to do actually does not have any effect at all?

Quote Originally Posted by ermac View Post
    Hey guys.

I've been reading WicDiv since the beginning but kinda dropped it for a while because I wasn't managing to follow the story. Last week I started catching up and BOOM, almost all the answers are being delivered.

I still have some questions tho. Maybe someone picked up:

- Did they show explicitly why the first Ananke started the killing? And why Persephone wanted to kill her?
    Somewhat. It's explained in this most recent issue #43, but also throughout the preceding Mothering Invention arc.

- Is the Great Darkness a lie told by Ananke?
    Yes, but it also actually exists. It is the captured and exploited Frankenstein simulacrum from 1830s --which is also the Maria robot from the 1920s. The Woden-created entity produces dark energy constructs.

- What were those Shadow Creatures?
    See above.

- The baby-slaughtering Ananke manipulated Baal to do actually does not have any effect at all?
    Correct.

Thanks =)

10char

Hmmm

I don’t fully understand wtf I just read. “She-in-thirds” suggests Norns or Morrigan more than Persephone.

I think Lucifer’s first recurrence... initience? Is the one that died in the chair.
    There has been an inference that the triple goddess thing in Robert Graves was an entirely wrong headed version of the situation between Persephone, Ananke and Minerva. So part of the point is that this isn’t that. The ubiquity of the triple goddess is almost entirely made up by comparative mythologists along with the weird and wrongheaded idea that there was an ancient matriarchy.

It really is happening. This is pretty much the end. All over but for the epilogue. I was quite emotional. First Cass truly back to being herself, which surprised me in its poignancy, then that last word. That one hit me hard. A very simple but lovely issue.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

It's over now.

It took me two reads to appreciate the last issue. I think I was too tired and grumpy about politics first time around. Probably a lesson there.

This morning, it was a lovely final chapter. Very evocative of what may have happened in the mean time, and it is stunning how good McKelvie has become over the course of this book. I am in two minds about the last page/pages. I know it is literally the whole point of the book to ‘pass it on’, and in that context it feels fitting, but on the other hand, I am not sure it feels natural coming from Laura. As the character that has to learn the lesson and pass it on to the others it makes sense, but her words still seem a little arch. She just doesn’t feel like the ‘Choose Life’ ending monologue kind of girl to me.

I guess it is because of the time gap. We have no context for what she did with the rest of her life. We get more context about everyone else. Even then a couple of characters feel a little hollow here.

It has to have been a very tricky issue to get onto the page, and essentially it works well. It was suitably emotional (once I had a good night’s sleep) and rounds out the story very well. I will kind of miss Wicdiv but it does feel finished.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.