Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Well that was an interesting issue. I was well aware that the interview issue was comming, I imagine some were not and may be a little disoriented. Not everyone reads back matter or follows things they are reading online. Although, the readership of this comic is probably not the usual crowd, and it is probably far more likely they are plugged into it.

The choice of proper journalism instead of say a social media issue is well realised. (I suppose we already had a Twitter issue.) I love the edge of cynicism that is present throughout, how much of this is a concious choice of the writers is interesting to consider. Music journalism is a secondary medium at best, but it always tries so hard to be more, it wants to be taken more seriously than the subject. So many interviews try and hold their subject at arms length and surround it all with a little story about how the interviewer was either changed or not by the meeting. Almost invariably it is the latter, because music journalists are not teenage superstars and never will be. They don't quite understand.

This instinct is captured and repeated so consistently it is hard to believe they were not briefed by Gillen, but my guess is that he did no such thing. I suspect he handed them the 'what everyone knows' text and then gave the interview. The fact the issue could so easily disappear up its own posterior is itself a reflection of music journalism, and I suspect there will be readers that will hate this for that very reason. I can guarantee Gillen has sleepless nights worrying the whole series will disappear into a similar place. I think it is safe from that fate, although Imperial Phase may be about that very thing.

Oh, and the art is amazing, I guess it needed to be as the issue seems to have been born out of the idea of getting Wada to do the book. I am less impressed with the design. It does a passable job of pastiche but I wanted it to push a bit at the bounds of the form, I guess that is a tricky balance, magazine design is a very different beast, and more developed and accomplished than comic design.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 11-03-2016 at 02:28 AM.

Spectacular Member

Gillen confirmed on his Tumblr that the next one-shot issue will be set in ancient Rome.

Enjoyed the new issue. Would've liked a bit more from the Lucifer interview; didn't feel like it really added much; but hey, nice to see Luci again (clearly the point). The Woden section was quite amusing. Also liked Ammy's interview.

I feel like I should at least comment upon the latest WicDiv even if I am not sure I have a lot to say apart from I really liked it. This feels like a transition issue, and does not add an awful lot to the interview issue in terms of status quo. I imagine Gillen is probably concious of the fact that some people won't bother reading the previous issue, just as they didn't bother reading Moore's back-matter, and need a grounding in this issue. I empathise to a point, I couldn't get through Moore's LoG back matter.

Where this issue works best is when it adds to the previous issue. 'Persy's' sex life, Minerva's wisdom, etc. If my longer term theories are correct, the uncertain Persephone fans asking for knowledge is perhaps the biggest hint of things to come, but right now all we get is a reiteration of the status-quo with a few added nuggets.

I occurs to me that parties and sex may be the equivalent of X-Men baseball matches. They give us time to gather our thoughts, note changes in the team dynamic and take a breath before the bad stuff gets going again.

Is the name Persy a deliberate nod to the Shelly character I wonder? Does anyone think that she will actually kill Woden in the next panel? Is this perhaps a setup for the reveal of the pink Woden, as she steps in and saves him?
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 12-10-2016 at 04:59 AM.

BANNED

Yeah it laid the groundwork. On the character page really. You could read that page and the last page and get pretty much all the information you need.

No Woden is not dead. When has a character ever died when the issue ends with them about to get killed.

So either Pink Woden is revealed as Laura's Sister. Or Mini shows up with Baal.

But it setup a lot. Dio is going to snap. Morrigan is probably up to something.

Spectacular Member

When I got to the end, my first thought was "daaamn, you really gonna leave us hanging like that?", immediately followed by "Woden is a douchecanoe and I literally don't care if he dies anyway."

The fact that they didn't show it practically confirms he won't die, though.

(Also: Persephone's abs)

Quote Originally Posted by JediKage View Post
    So either Pink Woden is revealed as Laura's Sister. Or Mini shows up with Baal.
    Still don't think you are right but if it is true then clearly you get the credit. Of course with the killing in Jenny's name it would add a layer of tragedy.

Spectacular Member

Bahaha, loved this month's issue. And what an ending! Holy ****. Lotta good laughs, too.

"**** you and your white boy bullshit."

Quote Originally Posted by Jinjonator View Post
    Bahaha, loved this month's issue. And what an ending! Holy ****. Lotta good laughs, too.

"**** you and your white boy bullshit."
    I must admit I was chuckling throughout, I am not sure if the whole thing was supposed to be comedic but I get the impression Gillen really enjoys writing the the voices of these two "smart and practical" characters. I also can't help thinking Woden won the confrontation hands down. In many ways the Valkeries are already a solo act supported by him, and releasing them of their contract means very little apart from to Cass.

I did think part of the dialogue was a comment on forum arguments. Especially with the "you don't know if" argument.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 01-05-2017 at 05:31 AM.

Spectacular Member

Oh yeah, Woden's response to that definitely mirrored comments I've heard people say online. (Pro tip: if you call someone something like a white boy, and they respond with "HOW DO YOU KNOW IM WHITE, HUH!?!??!", they white lol)

Still in conflicted mood over WikDiv. We seem in such a transitional stage right now. What I do know is I don't like the design of 'the great darkness'. It just seems so tangibly humanoid and uninspired.

The three way vote seemed a little weird to me. The first option seems so clearly compatible with the second. Study in order to fight, making it a vote was clearly divisive, which I guess may have been the point. In reality the vote was continue based on Ananke's plan, treat her words with skepticism and learn what is really happening, or make it up as they go along. Maybe the Imperial Phase is all about making it up as they go along.

All-New Member

Issue 27 is full of story threads, so I'll narrow it down a few that stood out for me.

The Gods Devinity consuming them seems to be the arc of Imperial phase, and we are seeing a worrying turn in all of them, in their own way each took a sinister twist this issue, from Baals increasing aggression and delusions of grandure, The Morrigans controlling behaviour and isolation, Urdurs obsession with the machine and so on, it's sad to see all of them slowly becoming undone by their powers in the same way the romantic era ones where.... I just can't help but think Dionysus will be the next to go, his spiralling much faster then the others.

Lucifer seemingly being a player in every Pantheon is something that seems to be a thing, they are confirmed now for the Ceaser, late medieval, romantic, and millennial recurrences, I'd put good money one shows up in the 1920's as well. The Devil seems to be an integral part to the recurrence, perhaps as a "trigger" to Persephone...

Why is the darkness after Minervra specifically? Seems it's only attacked her and Baals family, is he the deciding factor or is it due to the fact that mini was ment to be sacrificed?

Also Laura's sister being referenced again is something that I find interesting, something tells me that masked figure we saw with Woden in Issue 14 is her, but would she be a Deity, and if so which? One part of a two part mystery.. Which actually brought something to my mind. Romantic era Woden had ice powers, which she demonstraits by freezing her wine glass to threaten Lucifer, so why doesnt our one? Unless "thought and memory" means that Woden is not the God himself but rather an underling of a real Woden along with the pink one, maybe the monster from Gueniva?
    Last edited by BlueCollarDruid; 03-08-2017 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Stuff added

Let's not be too quick to equate Lucifer with the devil. He is the morning star (Venus or The Moon depending on your perspective) he is the light bringer. The title can equally be (and has been) applied to Christ, or John the Baptist where it has a positive connotation. For most of history, especially in Rome and Greece, the name had very few negative associations.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarDruid View Post
    Why is the darkness after Minervra specifically? Seems it's only attacked her and Baals family, is he the deciding factor or is it due to the fact that mini was ment to be sacrificed?
    You could be onto something here. Perhaps this will be an exploration of propitiatory sacrifice. Perhaps Ananke held back the great darkness by appeasement.

PS as a digital reader I am interested to know how this issue was presented on paper.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 03-09-2017 at 03:42 AM.

All-New Member

The confluence of Lucifer/The Devil seems to be one made in Universe, but even IRL his role as antagonist is a matter of debate, we know that many followers of old Gnosticism viewed him as a champion of mans free will, perhaps something that will come into play later. It does make me wonder if there have been any other Demons, Angels or other "lower order" spirits incarnated in previous cycles.

The appeasement theory is a good one, if it's the case then I wonder why those specific Gods are chosen? Lucifer is a underworld entity, Innana and Nergle seemed interchangeable considering the dialog at hand, Tara is still a mystery as to who she was, and Minerva as a Goddess of wisdom... Does remind me of the film Cabin In The Woods if you have seen it, an interesting thought...

I thought of Lucy as pretty much John the Baptist in this story. She leads Percy into the pantheon before being killed off. She shows Percy the light and literally passes the torch. She had a touch of Loki about her. She was designed to be the one everyone liked. She was the approachable one.

Haven't got time to go into my thoughts on the deities right now, and I haven't even had time to reread the book yet. But Minerva is theoretically the most innocent, which is usually part of sacrifice. But the concern for me is that sacrifice is generally not murder. Sacrifice rituals take great pains to make the distinction and implying consent from even the least consenting of creatures.

I am also a little concerned that the manifestation of the Great Darkness is just an unwitting projection from one of the characters we already know. Think Forbidden Planet.