Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by CRaymond View Post
    455 AD Pantheon:
    Mithras, Morai, Minerva, Inanna, Lucifer, Baal of Cathage. Six others, but not named.
    I think we can add Bacchus/Dionysus. The reason not to is that all the icons show skulls, but I believe he is not really there. That Lucifer is hallucinating in grief.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Ah, I see, I wouldn't have described that as information. I believe it is a hint at another player we may not be aware of yet. Referring to the pantheon as 'them' suggests someone else. Of course it isn't defininitive, as it could just be one of the pantheon, but it is unlikely to but Baal because we already know she advised him about the Great Darkness. Whoever it is knows about the pantheon being viewed as a sacrifice so if that person was a member of the pantheon it would be quite momentous.
    Yeah, I was hoping the 455 AD special would show, or at the very least hint, that there's someone else overseeing the recurrence, but I didn't notice anything.

Baal seems like a possible suspect as he DID try to save Ananke, and the letter does say to only do so if they can do it in a safe manner. But it being Baal would be a veeery complicated twist, but not an impossible one. Besides his initial punch, he barely fought Ananke, and so far he seems very focused on carrying on her work, except for the killing gods part.

Although now that I think about it, he kinda implied that he would kill a god if they get out of control. I guess we'll find out next arc.

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    Yeah, I was hoping the 455 AD special would show, or at the very least hint, that there's someone else overseeing the recurrence, but I didn't notice anything.

Baal seems like a possible suspect as he DID try to save Ananke, and the letter does say to only do so if they can do it in a safe manner. But it being Baal would be a veeery complicated twist, but not an impossible one. Besides his initial punch, he barely fought Ananke, and so far he seems very focused on carrying on her work, except for the killing gods part.

Although now that I think about it, he kinda implied that he would kill a god if they get out of control. I guess we'll find out next arc.
    I guess it could be our Promethean character from the previous special, but why Ananke would be close with that character I have no idea, but she does seem to be also immortal. Same goes for Pinky, she was supposedly unknown to Ananke (even if they are the same character). It could also be David I guess, but that would be strange.

I just finished the first HC and holy crap! I loved Phonogram and I was expecting this to be equally as awesome, but it was better. I can't wait for July
    “We have a saying, my people. Don’t kill if you can wound, don’t wound if you can subdue, don’t subdue if you can pacify, and don’t raise your hand at all until you’ve first extended it.”

BANNED

If Ananke sent it to a God we know then yes Baal is the most likely as Sun/Sky Gods are in charge of fighting the great darkness.

And Baal is the Eldest God.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma View Post
    I just finished the first HC and holy crap! I loved Phonogram and I was expecting this to be equally as awesome, but it was better. I can't wait for July
    I presume you mean the Deluxe Hard Cover. I imagine it would read well in one long read (1-11 I think). I have read the whole thing up to whichever comic was current twice and will no doubt do so again, but reading it straight without having already read the singles would probably be rewarding. Personally I think this most recent trade is perhaps weaker than that very strong opening, but it is clearly designed to build to new drama and we still have lots of interesting questions to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by JediKage View Post
    If Ananke sent it to a God we know then yes Baal is the most likely as Sun/Sky Gods are in charge of fighting the great darkness.

And Baal is the Eldest God.
    I just don't think that Baal fits. He would probably have revealed the facts to the rest, just as he passed on the information about the Great Darkness. Whoever this is would presumably be more secretive and someone we don't naturally associate with being her ally.

BANNED

Well sure but Baal did advise against killing her.

I mean who are the options really. Its not going to be on the rebel side so its Baal, Woden and Ama as the main options of known Gods.

"Underworld Gods"
    Morrigan, Baphomet/Nergal, Persephone, Dionysus, Urdr, Lucifer.

"Sky Gods"
    Baal, Amaterasu, Woden, Minerva, Inanna.

"Unknowns"
    Tara, Sakhmet.

Interesting issue to kick off the new arc. Both reflective and looking forward. My main thought reading it was that Mckelvie is not on form here. Either that or Wilson is not quite grounding the characters in a few sequences. Some scenes felt sketchy and the figures felt disconnected. I wonder if this issue took Mckelvie out of his comfort zone, with all the darkness, negative space and highlights, and he felt rushed elsewhere.

Plot wise this is an intriguing issue, taking characters into new areas, and entrenching others. How Pesephone reacts will be key.

I worry Dio is setting himself up for a gruesome death, by following in Orpheus' footsteps and seeking the return of a musician from hell.

BANNED

Well I certainly think when the Cass fires up her machine things are going to go very bad.

Gotta love how Ama leaves out the details.

And yeah Dio is in trouble...this is not a story where the guy who wants to save everyone has a good end...

As for the Sahkmet...she has never been the most sane so I wonder if the other ones go mad does she go sane?

I'm wondering if Nergal/Baphomet isn't a legitimate god, and merely an extension of Morrigan.

I'm wondering if Nergal/Baphomet isn't a legitimate god, and merely an extension of Morrigan.
    I suspect the narrative device here is that the story will focus on investigating the domestic abuse, but that will reveal some truths about the nature of the pantheon. For starters his very existence suggests that anyone could theoretically be apotheosised, as does Percy's, so it reflects on who and how the change occurs. The plot line itself, also reminds us that character flaws and or human traits are not erased by the process, and that aside a few powers they are mostly human. I guess we don't need reminding of that, as it is a big theme in the wider story, but that sense of ownership and control is reflecting the Valkyrie and the Norns. As a question of informed consent.

"Underworld Gods"
    Morrigan, Baphomet/Nergal, Persephone, Dionysus, Urdr, Lucifer.

"Sky Gods"
    Baal, Amaterasu, Woden, Minerva, Inanna.

"Unknowns"
    Tara, Sakhmet.
    Don't you think it is a little simplistic to make Woden or Baal, Sky Gods. The categories are somewhat flawed if you do that. For example, just because Lucifer has a 'star' doesn't make him a sky god but is he really and underworld god either?
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 07-07-2017 at 03:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JediKage View Post
    Well sure but Baal did advise against killing her.

I mean who are the options really. Its not going to be on the rebel side so its Baal, Woden and Ama as the main options of known Gods.
    I wonder if the technological scroll delivery system is less a delivery method in space and more in time. Maybe it is a time capsule that will appear to her successor. Just because she has been around for hundreds of years, she may be reoccurring like the rest of them.