Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Which comics, and when is enough enough!?

Ugh, I know people! I've asked this so much times and I know its super annoying.

But this is real! I GOT A JOB PEOPLE! I'M 16, Starting college in late August (Not University as you Americans believe) I get paid every 2 weeks and as I started on Thursday, my first payment is around the 13th/14th August. Now, where I live, the biggest comic store (Forbidden Planet) is only 50 minutes away by Bus, and where I work is along the route. And the bus also passes by my home, and its the same bus I get to school/college AND I can get a tube there xD

So I can actually afford comics, for once in my life, guarantee, no starting then stopping. I can now!

I'm wanting to get;
    Silver Surfer (Haven't read any issues yet, but I like the art and SS)
    Daredevil (Loved it pre-now, see no reason why I won't now)
    Ms Marvel (I'm a sucker for comics like this)
    Black Widow (I love Natasha, and I read the previous issue, it was fantastic)
    Captain Marvel (I love Carol, read the previous run)
    She-Hulk (I like Jen)

And I know people I ask all the time but this is the final ever time. I'm just wondering, how much comics is 'enough', I already read most of the others on digital (Thanks to friends) but I love the feeling of going into a store, picking up floppies and reading them before bed! Its a great feeling, also, they all come up to below £20, I earn that in 4 hours, so its not bad at all. But I just wanna know what yours thoughts are. Also, I'm torn with TPBS, whats the better option?

Teenage Exorcist just another user's Avatar

I wouldn't spend all your wages on comics personally. I'd recommend spending some of your money but also starting saving money. At your age you can have all sorts of unexpected expenses.

Also you say you earn £20 in four hours, but you would read £20 of comics in about an hour so if you look at it like that is that really worth 4 hours of your life?

If you ask for recommendations you'll just get told what other people like. But everyone has different tastes. Why not make up your own mind? I could name comics I enjoy but there's no guarantee you would like them.
    Last edited by just another user; 08-02-2014 at 09:47 AM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Ugh, I know people! I've asked this so much times and I know its super annoying.

But this is real! I GOT A JOB PEOPLE! I'M 16, Starting college in late August (Not University as you Americans believe) I get paid every 2 weeks and as I started on Thursday, my first payment is around the 13th/14th August. Now, where I live, the biggest comic store (Forbidden Planet) is only 50 minutes away by Bus, and where I work is along the route. And the bus also passes by my home, and its the same bus I get to school/college AND I can get a tube there xD

So I can actually afford comics, for once in my life, guarantee, no starting then stopping. I can now!

I'm wanting to get;
    She-Hulk (I like Jen)

And I know people I ask all the time but this is the final ever time. I'm just wondering, how much comics is 'enough', I already read most of the others on digital (Thanks to friends) but I love the feeling of going into a store, picking up floppies and reading them before bed! Its a great feeling, also, they all come up to below £20, I earn that in 4 hours, so its not bad at all. But I just wanna know what yours thoughts are. Also, I'm torn with TPBS, whats the better option?
    FP is expensive for comics; the exchange rate they use is ridiculous. - I know, I buy mine there too. If you can either find a different comic shop (if you're lucky enough), or buy mail order*; I think comixology is cheaper too.

*I used to use http://economic-comics.co.uk/ , and am about to go back to them.

Extraordinary Member

Well it won't be all my salary, I won't say what I get but it isn't all of it.

And the FP store is in London, comics are just under £3 here.

Fantastic Member

Well it won't be all my salary, I won't say what I get but it isn't all of it.

And the FP store is in London, comics are just under £3 here.
    $3.99 or $2.99? Everywhere I've seen FP sells at a minimum of $3.99 at £3.30 and $2.99 at £2.45, as advertised on their website: http://www.forbidden-planet.co.uk/acatalog/info.html (right at the bottom) as you can see, mail order via them is cheaper too.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by VJ. View Post
    $3.99 or $2.99? Everywhere I've seen FP sells at a minimum of $3.99 at £3.30 and $2.99 at £2.45, as advertised on their website: http://www.forbidden-planet.co.uk/acatalog/info.html (right at the bottom) as you can see, mail order via them is cheaper too.
    3.99 dollars are £2.90, and I actually think its a different company And thanks, but I love going to the store also xD

Fantastic Member

3.99 dollars are £2.90, and I actually think its a different company And thanks, but I love going to the store also xD
    Yeah, looking into it there are two different companies that have comic shops called Forbidden planet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbidd...et_(bookstore) ) - my local FP is actually the other one but the prices are about the same (I actually think mine might be more expensive!) but the competition in London probably keeps prices down for you, it's the only LCS here in Southampton.

It's hard to say when enough is enough with comics because there are so many well done, enjoyable titles out there. It is quite an expensive hobby though, so you're smart to be thinking about how to budget for it. You listed 6 titles. Maybe start with just 4 of those. Get 3 that you absolutely know you're going to enjoy, and then experiment with 1 more that you're not as familiar with but want to try out. Definitely stick to a budget when it comes to comics, though, along with any other money you spend on entertainment stuff. I agree with what just another user said about being sure to put some of your cash in savings, too.

I don't know if UK vendors do what so many US vendors do, but in the US, you'll often find comics that are just a few months old stuck in a $1 bin and that can be a good thing to check if you just want to try out a title without paying full price.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.

Nicely done. A job is a great way to ensure you are balancing your responsibilities and getting the things you want in life. If comics are your primary source of entertainment, I say: HELL YEAH! GO GET 'EM ALL!

*ahem*

Excuse the outburst. Personally, when I was younger, I couldn't think of wanting to read trades. As I grow up, I find TPBs sit and sticks better with me. I say once you are in college or university and you're still earning money from a job, then go TPB route. In the meantime, get floppies.

If I were you, I'd go with the characters that fascinates you. I think you're a Captain Marvel fan, right? I'd go with her comic. It has played into Guardians of the Galaxy and Marvel will be emboldened by the (so far) success of the movie.

Once again, good job and hope you retain the excitement you displayed in this post. It's a good thing.

I'm wanting to get;
    She-Hulk (I like Jen)

Find me on Instagram and Twitter - @arfguy
    https://whoaskd.com/

Gosh, Marvel books are so expensive nowadays! Haha

I tried Silver Surfer and wasn't that impressed.

Black Widow is pretty great.

I haven't read the others.

BANNED

I am starting to get comics and my plan is to just collect 2 ongoings, and some comic issue #s that I really wsnt to have a hard copy. if I will add more, ill try going digital so that I wont be spending much

Astonishing Member Lady Warp Spasm's Avatar

Congrats on all the great news DebkoX! Woohoo!

If I was in your position, I'd budget myself and buy only the titles I absolutely love in single issues and wait for others collected (and/or used if Forbidden Planet sells them used.)
    archer * magician *soldier * spy

Spectacular Member

Obviously you have to take into account your budget, and what you can afford. I'd say buy your favorite, top titles. For others that you want to try, here are some options:
    -Trades (this is especially good, economically, for catching up on backissues, or for long, drawn-out storylines)
    -Discounts: My local shop gives $1 for every $10 spent on new comics - can use it on back issues, monthly specials, etc. I usually save them up for something I want to catch up on. Online stores tend to run promotions as well. I use Midtown Comics as a backup for stuff I can't find at my LCS. They tend to run a lot of 20% off sales, so I'm always on the lookout.
    -Ebay/Amazon: You'd be amazed some of the deals on here. While I love to support my LCS, they pretty much sell all trades, toys, games, supplies, etc at retail value. If I can save 25-50% off by buying online, especially used, I heavily consider it.
    -Gifts: If you're looking for something for your comic collection, but think it would be too difficult to ask for something really specific, just ask for an Amazon card or a gift card to your comic book store. Makes it easy for them, and you can use it on whatever you want.

Extraordinary Member John Ossie's Avatar

Like Cold_War_Myth said I'd work out a budget myself in your situation. And congratulations on the job.

Extraordinary Member

Thanks guys, and geesh! Extra thanks for all the praises. I really appreciate that

Alright, I'll settle myself down with:
    Black Widow
    Daredevil

The others will be in trades, because BW and DD are ones I'm reading already. Thanks people!