Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

it was a great story. and the art, the art was amazing. i love that Strange is getting a lot of spotlight...just give him an ongoing already.

This is what I imagine a strange ongoing would be like. Magnificent. And good for Hickman by giving Stephen so much focus lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    This was an amazing issue. I read this then I read the latest New Avengers issue. It's really crazy to think about, how does Strange get out of this? After loosing his soul what is waiting for him after he dies? How could he redeem himself? Its not like being polite to his neighbor and treating them to a coffee will help haha. I must say now is seeming like a great time to be a strange fan.
    I'm a bit disinclined to say that a period in the character's history when he's accepted a need for black magic, sacrificed his soul, and overall been pushed to a very grim, dark, depressing kind of existence is a "great time to be a Strange fan". ...Unless that's how you like your Strange, in which case, different strokes.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    I'm a bit disinclined to say that a period in the character's history when he's accepted a need for black magic, sacrificed his soul, and overall been pushed to a very grim, dark, depressing kind of existence is a "great time to be a Strange fan". ...Unless that's how you like your Strange, in which case, different strokes.

You don't have to like where Strange ended up to appreciate this story. And, I'm not saying you didn't appreciate the story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by megaharrison View Post
    This is what I imagine a strange ongoing would be like. Magnificent. And good for Hickman by giving Stephen so much focus lately.
    I agree..

This was a masterfully written Dr. Strange tale..

Quote Originally Posted by bandoogiemanz View Post
    You don't have to like where Strange ended up to appreciate this story. And, I'm not saying you didn't appreciate the story.
    I'm inclined to disagree. I think a bad ending can ruin an experience. I can certainly appreciate the art here--it's great!--but what the story does to Strange does greatly hinder my ability to appreciate the story, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Acro View Post
    The thing is, Strange isn't a Spider-Man or a Wolverine. Any Strange fan can tell you that there are periods of them when his appearances in books can be few and far between. So I think anytime you can at least say he's going be show up monthly on a title, it's at least a "pretty darn good" time to be a Strange fan.

I thought this was a great read. Good to see Strange get the spotlight. The art was amazing as well. Strange really is going all out. Whatever it takes to save the earth.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

First - I just LOVE Marko Rudy's artwork. I was hooked on his work after Marvel Knights: Spider-Man, and now I will snatch up anything he does. The fact that this story was as awesome as the artwork makes this one of my favorite single issues in the Marvel NOW. The story introduces an interesting moral dilemma and delves deep into a character that I've never really given much thought to, but from this annual my interest is sparked. Must read, must buy. Go get it!

Incredible Member RobertoDaCosta's Avatar

loved it!
    is this the reason why he can't buy what he couldn't buy in New Avengers #20?
    is this supposed to go before New Avengers #20 chronologically?
    any guess?
    Bring back Ultimate Dazzler!!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoDaCosta View Post
    loved it!
    is this the reason why he can't buy what he couldn't buy in New Avengers #20?
    is this supposed to go before New Avengers #20 chronologically?
    any guess?

Hmmmm. That wasn't what I took away from this story, though I could be wrong.

And yes, I would think this goes before NA 20.

Fantastic Member

I think over recent years all the darkness Strange has immersed himself in has sort of chipped away at his soul. That way they don't have to show him getting his soul back, it is more of him working to literally pull the pieces back together. Perhaps in his own book? My fear is that the writer once again has Strange lose his SS status, because I don't see them taking the time to show the journey of Strange doing a soul recovery. And I don't see Strange turning his back on protecting the Earth unless he isn't SS. Hopefully, I am totally off base. But we do know that he also, literally, has a demon chewing away inside him, also again. Until there is a way to safely purge the demon he is likely to get darker and darker.

The saving grace is he will have a movie soon, and it would be poor advertising to have people who love Marvel movies who might check out the comic to find it dark and depressing. So I do think they plan on getting him into a better place before then. Fingers crossed on this.
    Last edited by Strangefan; 07-09-2014 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangefan View Post
    I think over recent years all the darkness Strange has immersed himself in has sort of chipped away at his soul. That way they don't have to show him getting his soul back, it is more of him working to literally pull the pieces back together. Perhaps in his own book? My fear is that the writer once again has Strange lose his SS status, because I don't see them taking the time to show the journey of Strange doing a soul recovery. And I don't see Strange turning his back on protecting the Earth unless he isn't SS. Hopefully, I am totally off base. But we do know that he also, literally, has a demon chewing away inside him, also again. Until there is a way to safely purge the demon he is likely to get darker and darker.
    I find it odd that he's able to be Sorcerer Supreme when he's still doing the same things that made him lose the title in the first place.

Fantastic Member

Not odd at all. Writers put in the story things that will make their story go forward. Conflicts, repetitive issues etc. It works for his story right now to keep Strange SS, when under Bendis his whole arc for Strange was him losing/gaining the title. He actually didn't lose the role, he let it go because he felt unworthy of the title. I am blanking on her name, she was a nemesis in Strange's previous comic, but she was a previous SS, and she certainly wasn't good. Strange's fear in NA Vol 1 was that Doctor Doom might be whom the Eye chose to be SS. You don't have to be good to have the title, Strange self-imposes the idea that with this great power you should be good. I prefer it that way, but, again, no conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Strangefan View Post
    Not odd at all. Writers put in the story things that will make their story go forward. Conflicts, repetitive issues etc. It works for his story right now to keep Strange SS, when under Bendis his whole arc for Strange was him losing/gaining the title. He actually didn't lose the role, he let it go because he felt unworthy of the title. I am blanking on her name, she was a nemesis in Strange's previous comic, but she was a previous SS, and she certainly wasn't good. Strange's fear in NA Vol 1 was that Doctor Doom might be whom the Eye chose to be SS. You don't have to be good to have the title, Strange self-imposes the idea that with this great power you should be good. I prefer it that way, but, again, no conflict.
    I think you are referring to Salomé, one of the Fallen who was Sorceress Supreme of Earth (possibly the first person in this role who was actually from Earth -- I'd have to go back and check). She was very definitely an evil being but she fulfilled her role as protector of Earth until she was ultimately banished to a different dimension because she wanted to be worshipped as a god. (Something Strange should keep in mind as he goes around seeking god-like powers to protect the Earth from incursions!).

The Sorcerer Supreme does not automatically have to be a good person but it certainly is preferable. Otherwise, the temptation to misuse their station and power could become too tempting and too corrupting. Magic and mystical power is tied very intrinsically to the character and integrity of the magic user. Being Sorcerer Supreme is a sacred duty that is best suited to someone who is willing to fight for and die for the greater good of all, not just for their own self aggrandizement. It's not about being the most powerful magic user, it's about being the most worthy.

During Bendis' tenure on New Avengers, Strange willing gave up the title because he felt unworthy. He didn't lose it because he invoked Zom to fight the Hulk. (Not sure where Bendis got the idea that the Eye chooses the Sorcerer Supreme. That contradicted what had been written previously, but ... whatever...) Early on in his career as Sorcerer Supreme, Strange used to routinely call on evil beings for power (such as Dormammu) but he ultimately stopped because he didn't want to be ever be in the position of being beholden to them. Even the 'good' deities like the Vishanti think that the Sorcerer Supreme owes them something. Everything to do with magic comes at a cost.
    Live Faust, Die Jung.