Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Default Batman #1 REBIRTH Preview

“Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

I wonder if Bruce said "send the message to Clark" by force of habit or if this takes place far enough down the road where Bruce and Superdad are friends/League-Buddies.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

Looking good, great to see Finch drawing Batman again.
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Gordon sounds a little off to me, but otherwise looking forward to seeing what happens after the preview .

Quote Originally Posted by RobinFan4880 View Post
    I wonder if Bruce said "send the message to Clark" by force of habit or if this takes place far enough down the road where Bruce and Superdad are friends/League-Buddies.
    What stood out to me was asking for Hal...shouldn't he contact Simon or Jessica (or both)?

Incredible Member

Jordie's doing some good work I see

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

What stood out to me was asking for Hal...shouldn't he contact Simon or Jessica (or both)?
    I feel like this one line of dialogue needs to be explained.

I'm around sometimes NeuroticNyx's Avatar

Seems like an error.

BANNED

Meh, I'll give this a shot but it's becoming increasingly likely that I wont continue with this book, I'm shocked.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

continuity error

I don't really like Finch's art and think he is a really bad fit with Janin, but I'm looking forward to this. I thought the writing in the Rebirth special was strong and I seem to like Duke so far (I haven't read anything else he's been in other than the Rebirth special). I am really happy Gordon is back to plain old Gordon, I didn't think the Bat-Gordon thing worked at all. I like the overall feel of this title so far.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    continuity error
    For all we know this happened the day after Darkseid War. This is the best Finch's art has looked in...forever? Looks like he channeled David Mazzucchelli for this one

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    For all we know this happened the day after Darkseid War. This is the best Finch's art has looked in...forever? Looks like he channeled David Mazzucchelli for this one

Agree on the first half. We have no context to know if this an error or not.

Half agree with you on the second half. Yes, it's the best I've seen from Finch in a long time, but I don't get a Mazzucchelli vibe off it.
    Last edited by Maxpower00044; 06-10-2016 at 10:56 AM.

BANNED

I don`t see the Mazzucchelli touch either but Finch is certainly using some new storytelling tricks in a few panels that aren`t his usual trade.

That being aside, the strongest Finch for me is still his Moon Knight. Great marriage between the atmosphere and his moody line.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    Agree on the first half. We have no context to know if this an error or not.

Half agree with you on the second half. Yes, it's the best I've seen from Finch in a long time, but in no way to a get a Mazzucchelli vibe off it.
    I see what he's getting at with the Mazz comparison, though. It's maybe not Mazzucchellian, but King's script direction does call for shots and angles that are seemingly influenced by those old depictions, so like that long shot of the alley where Batman drops down and his cape is vertical, or the close ups on his very black mask and white eyes, do indeed feel quite "Year One" intentionally. Which is not a bad thing - I'll join the folks saying this is the best Finch stuff in a long time. It's clear the split art duties and having a really good inker and colorist are dramatically polishing Finch's work. A little friendly competition with his protege, Fabok, probably can't hurt, either, right? The student surpassed the master big time, but that doesn't mean there can't be some back and forth and evolution.

Some of this as well is frankly some of the really strong points built into Capullo's new Batman design itself - which he noted in his design drawings should emphasize the bullish black mask and white eyes, which was a direct callback to Miller's work and Mazz's work in Year One, and paid in dividends in a lot of the cleaner, awesomer Batman depictions in the last few decades, from The Animated Series to the heavily TAS-influenced Brubaker & Rucka era, and Lark's depictions in Gotham Central. I'm really, really pleased with the new bat costume. Remember five years ago when we first got Jim Lee's just absurdly bad Batman costume design? For a while only Capullo seemed able to make it look good. It was far too busy for Tony Daniel to look good depicting. Eventually Fabok came along and did pretty good work making it look good and Ivan Reis kept it pretty streamlined, too. Shout out as well to Chris Burnham's depiction, which is underratedly important to cleaning it up. But at that point obviously Capullo had led the way, cleaned it up a lot and shown how to do so. Finch himself, in his TDK series, suffered from the overwhelming clutter of the Lee Batsuit - but here, with the new, simple, dynamic design, he's doing a heck of a lot better.

This looks good. I'm more and more intrigued by the notion that Gotham and Gotham Girl might be attempting to be "Superman & Supergirl" for Gotham, and King is giving us a good old "this is why that kind of superhero doesn't quite work in Gotham, as well as probably the detectivey mystery as to how they came to be and how it's probably not very sweet, Americana, noble, or just as Superman, because things in Gotham are conspiratorial and corrupt and turn you on your head."

I wondered if maybe the kid on the plane was Damian returning home or something. Or just some kid. Who knows. Gordon's great here. I wonder if King is a Harvey Bullock guy or not, and how much of a GCPD presence we'll get. It occurs to me that as glorious as King is on Grayson in that sandbox with Seeley, and good he was at putting Kyle in a strange situation, that there's a lot of questions over what his Gotham will even be like, what angles of the city he'll show off, what pieces of the supporting cast are interesting to him. We got a little Duke in Rebirth but that felt more like Snyder setting up the Duke backups in ASB. We got some Lucius - those bits felt a bit more King wanting to give us plenty of "Bruce Wayne".

I wish I knew the guy and could just ask him what parts of Gotham interest him as focal points. I'm sure he'd probably say "most of them" but I'd like to know how this might compare to other legendary runs. Snyder's Batman had a lot of the Batman/Gordon dynamic with a dash of Harvey Bullock, but the fleshing out tended to happen in like, the Eternal books by committee. Morrison's run always had some Gordon and a little Bullock seasoning here and there, but was usually carving out strange new alliances in the extended bat-themed crimefighting community - Bruce's odder friends. Lots of Knight and Squire and such and plenty of the boys. Rucka back in the day had such a major focus on the cops, though, with Detective being like a prototype for Gotham Central in its heavy Montoya/Crispus/Bullock focus, and Montoya was essentially the book's co-lead with Bruce.

It's funny I know it's just the first issue and I should read on because how better to get a sense for King's Gotham, but it only dawned on me just now how much mystery and unknown this run will be, and it's sort of hanging over it. I have no clue what to expect.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com