Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    BANNED

Was anyone else surprised at how super powered Gotham and Gotham Girl actually are?

I was expecting mid level around the Spider-man sort of class, but they seem, at least so far to be quite a bit more powerful, flight and notable super strength so far.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Considering conversation, I think that difference is that he got like 15 seconds to save the plane and is aware that he will 100% die while doing it. You really don't get such moments while fighting bad guys each night. Thou that being said I found it also a bit too dramatic.

Well entire point of Gotham/Gotham Girl and that passenger panicking is to make a point how every major city has some big hero (Superman, Flash, Green Lanter) who manage to save stuff like planes on daily basis while Gotham has Batman who really can't do such things. So now we get Superman/Supergirl stand-ins who want to take over as protectors of Gotham since Batman obviously isn't good enough. Thats the main draw here, not their "mystery" or motives.

So anyway, great start, enjoyed it more than Rebirth issue.
    Yeah King has stated in his interviews that he wants to test the humanity of Batman so the saving of the plane was actually realistic for the world Batman lives in and the fact he would have died once again if not for the intervention Gothman/Gotham Girl. A lot of people want Gotham to have a magic barrier that prevents Superman level threats to just tell street level stories but this is a cohesive universe and Batman can't operate completely in a grounded reality so I like that King is tackling how Batman reacts and adapts to the increasing threats. If a 55 y/o Batman can take on a Mutant, Joker, & Superman then saving a plane really is not that far out.

Thumbs up!

Batman is back.
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

Not a Newbie Member JBatmanFan05's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    [Gotham and Gotham girl] felt very late-1950's/early 1960's to me (and not in a way I liked). You know, when Superman and Batman, or others, used to find reasons to dress up in different outfits and use different identities for an issue. Nightwing and Flamebird. The Rainbow Batman. Sir Prize and Miss Terious.
    Now, you made me like them more because you're right, felt very old school late-1950's/early 1960's.
    Things I love: Batman, Superman, AEW, old films, Lovecraft

Grant Morrison: “Adults...struggle desperately with fiction, demanding constantly that it conform to the rules of everyday life. Adults foolishly demand to know how Superman can possibly fly, or how Batman can possibly run a multibillion-dollar business empire during the day and fight crime at night, when the answer is obvious even to the smallest child: because it's not real.”

I liked it and didnt like it. Finch, still pretty stiff looking art.

Intrigued for up comimg issues. Im sure there is a nice twist coming about Gotham and Gotham Girl.

King obviously getting his feet under him.

Loved this issue. As did my bro

Radar Sense Bitches !! Matt Murdock's Swagger's Avatar

The book was OK, for some reason, it just didn't have a Batman feel to it.... so so start to the series.
    Can't see how anyone loved it or thought it was great but to each their own.

bruce riding on the plane was so badass. and the hint at a new batplane. awesomeness

Mostly silly (not necessarily in a bad way). And I did enjoy Alfred's little moment

"Awaiting your stability. As always."

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    Dug this issue. Like others have said, the way he handles the plane situation was dope. The issue looked real good, which is something I wasn't expecting that much from the Finch issues. Solid start.
    One thing is for sure, an inner dialogue would have made it very old fashioned and focused on the self-reliant introspective Batman. This is precisely the kind of thing a lighter outlook is trying to avoid. That may have been your Batman, it depends which books you consider to represent him.

First issue tone is always going to be tricky, but we get quite an interesting hint at how Batman will be written and what will be considered important here. I don't think it is a coincidence that Bruce is robbed of a 'good death' as this is very much a rebirth story. Confronted with death Bruce strips down his concerns to just a handful of priorities. He was prepared to go out saving lives and perhaps threw himself in too deep.

Confronting Bruce's parent issues, is perhaps the oldest trick in the book, but that relationship is at the heart of how a writer chooses to tackle the character. The question being asked is where do the responsibilities of being Batman begin and end, and what are his obligtions. The Rebirth buzzword of legacy comes to mind, as Bruce is considering his position in a longer narrative. Is a 'good death' saving hundreds of lives justification for his actions? Is this what his parents would want, and how will this effect his charges? There are no easy answers, even in a world where new self appointed protectors arrive.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    Is it? Why?
    "This felt very late-1950's/early 1960's to me"

I think you answered your own question, although I would say King is going back to the late 30s and 40s and asking why Batman, with no superpowers, is the protector of Gotham. Gotham and Gotham Girl are names you could see Finger and Kane using if they decided to completely rip-off Superman and not gone down the pulp route. King is asking questions many people have asked, but is doing it in a pretty unique way - why is Gotham, probably the cesspool of the DCU, protected by just a man? Does Batman make sense in a shared universe with superpowers? Why hasn't he asked anyone in the DCU with powers to come help him? And ultimately, what makes Batman...Batman? It's normal for a new writer to strip down a character at the start of his/her run and ask the basic questions of what makes a hero and why does that hero makes sense in his/her setting. As we've seen in his other work (especially in Vision which I can't recommend more highly), King asks these questions in fascinating ways (IMHO) we haven't seen before

King said the big bad is from way in Batman's past history from 30's & 40's stories. If I were to guess I would say the most likely is his first major threat in Carl Kruger & his Scarlet Army from Tec' 33

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

It didn't have a lot of meat to it for a big #1, but it was enough to keep me reading.

Nice issue! A little bit over the top action with that plane but overall a good read. I love the design of the batmobile!

This was a great comic! I freakin' loved it!