Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I see what he's getting at with the Mazz comparison, though. It's maybe not Mazzucchellian, but King's script direction does call for shots and angles that are seemingly influenced by those old depictions, so like that long shot of the alley where Batman drops down and his cape is vertical, or the close ups on his very black mask and white eyes, do indeed feel quite "Year One" intentionally. Which is not a bad thing - I'll join the folks saying this is the best Finch stuff in a long time. It's clear the split art duties and having a really good inker and colorist are dramatically polishing Finch's work. A little friendly competition with his protege, Fabok, probably can't hurt, either, right? The student surpassed the master big time, but that doesn't mean there can't be some back and forth and evolution.
    As usual, you said it better than I did. This is obviously a lot "cleaner" and more colorful (thank you, Mr. Bellaire) than Maz, but the shots and paneling just gave me a sense of Year 1 deja vu. And for me that is never a bad thing

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    As usual, you said it better than I did. This is obviously a lot "cleaner" and more colorful (thank you, Mr. Bellaire) than Maz, but the shots and paneling just gave me a sense of Year 1 deja vu. And for me that is never a bad thing
    Jordie is a woman, man. She's Declan Shalvey's wife. Just a heads up.

For me when I think of Mazzucchelli he's way more minimal with his lines than a David Finch. That's maybe why I have trouble seeing it. K. Jones, definitely (like always) brought up some good points in his post.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxpower00044 View Post
    Jordie is a woman, man. She's Declan Shalvey's wife. Just a heads up.

For me when I think of Mazzucchelli he's way more minimal with his lines than a David Finch. That's maybe why I have trouble seeing it. K. Jones, definitely (like always) brought up some good points in his post.
    Huh, no kidding? You learn something new every day

BANNED

Promising start and yeah like people have said, it's exciting to jump into this new Batman series without really having a clue whats going to happen. Scott Snyder was always too excited about his stories so you'd have to avoid his interviews all the time lol. :P

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drz View Post
    Promising start and yeah like people have said, it's exciting to jump into this new Batman series without really having a clue whats going to happen. Scott Snyder was always too excited about his stories so you'd have to avoid his interviews all the time lol. :P
    I likewise think it's more exciting to jump into the unknown with King's Batman run verses pretty much knowing what the story is ahead of time. With Snyder's run if I read even one interview I sort of felt like I'd read the issue already by the time I had it in my hand.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Always Rakzo

Thought this was a solid first entry. Once again, it seems like King is following Snyder's style for the book based on cinematic action but I felt it was better executed here than in the Rebirth issue. The characterization seems on-point for the most part as well.

Then here comes the problems. Batman riding an airplane is something both ridiculous and awesome but once that you start thinking about it you can help but ask: How the HELL is he able to direct that plane? Suspension of disbelief can't even help me to buy it. The fact that both Gotham and Gotham Girl decided to help him at the last second makes things even more unreal and makes you wonder why they waited for so long.

Dialogue is pure King with some interesting bits here and there but kinda awkward at times by repeating several classic Batman themes to get to the point.

Complaints aside, this was enjoyable as long as you don't think much about it.

Boing Boing Baggies. Baggie_Saiyan's Avatar

^How was the art?
    "Yes...Mondo Cool"- Vegeta.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    Then here comes the problems. Batman riding an airplane is something both ridiculous and awesome but once that you start thinking about it you can help but ask: How the HELL is he able to direct that plane? Suspension of disbelief can even help me to buy it. The fact that both Gotham and Gotham Girl decided to help him at the last second makes things even more unreal and makes you wonder why they waited for so long.
    He directs the plane with the two jets that he first used to thrust his chair up to the plane.
    This sequence really reminded me a similar one in Nemesis from Millar and McNiven.

Anyway that was a better introduction than the Batman Rebirth.

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Baggie_Saiyan View Post
    ^How was the art?
    Great, one of the best things from Finch recently.

Quote Originally Posted by ian0delond View Post
    He directs the plane with the two jets that he first used to thrust his chair up to the plane.
    This sequence really reminded me a similar one in Nemesis from Millar and McNiven.
    I still find hard to believe that he needed to be on the top of the frikking plane to direct it.

Good issue to establish what King is trying to do with Batman, I read his earlier interview that this will be a year long 3 part Star Wars like story with Finch-Janin-Finch on art.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I still find hard to believe that he needed to be on the top of the frikking plane to direct it.
    He needed a pilot's perspective to make the necessary mid-flight adjustments. The only other option would have been the cockpit, but he wouldn't have had enough time to gain entry.

I have to say, moreso than almost any Batman comic I remember this made me feel for Batman the hero. The scene was awesome...and yes he needed to be on top of the plane to direct Alfred in firing the thrusters. Real slow burn from King and I like it

I loved this issue and I already love Gotham and Gotham girl
    Its great that this is double shipping so I don't have to wait a month to jump back into the story

That was good, much better than the Rebirth special. Slow burn but enough plot movement in the last 5 pages to get things going. I'll be back.
    Current Pull: Lazarus, The Realm, Seven to Eternity, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League Dark, Justice League Odyssey, Sideways, Black Panther, Captain America, Daredevil, Death of the Inhumans.

Future Pull: Killmonger.

Gotham and Gotham Girl?