Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DGraysonWorldsGreatestSpy View Post
    King said the big bad is from way in Batman's past history from 30's & 40's stories. If I were to guess I would say the most likely is his first major threat in Carl Kruger & his Scarlet Army from Tec' 33
    I'm hoping for Hugo, but that's probably nowhere near obscure enough.

Spectacular Member Kevin Street's Avatar

Holy cow, that was awesome! Pretty sure Batman broke three or four laws of physics there, but steering a plane cowboy style while coolly doing trigonometric calculations in his head and simultaneously saying goodbye to Alfred is so freaking cool that I'll let it pass.

And love that ending! Batman went instantly from doe eyed wonder at being alive to frowny scowl face when he heard the new guy describe Gotham as "our city."

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    That's who I think it is, actually -- I seem to recall King saying if you read issue 1 of Batman you know who the villain of the arc is. I suspect he's being clever, and he means the original, 1940 Batman 1. That means it's Joe Chill, Joker or Hugo Strange.

I'm guessing Gotham Girl and Gotham are Strange's creations.

Oh, and another thing... There's a mysterious dude standing over the murdered KOBRA agent and he's not at all surprised to see Batman riding a plane. "Observe the clock, Batman." So did the KOBRA agent get off a rocket before being killed, or did the mysterious dude shoot at the plane himself? Questions!!!

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    That's who I think it is, actually -- I seem to recall King saying if you read issue 1 of Batman you know who the villain of the arc is. I suspect he's being clever, and he means the original, 1940 Batman 1. That means it's Joe Chill, Joker or Hugo Strange.

Ahh, wasn't aware of that. Sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Street View Post
    Oh, and another thing... There's a mysterious dude standing over the murdered KOBRA agent and he's not at all surprised to see Batman riding a plane. "Observe the clock, Batman." So did the KOBRA agent get off a rocket before being killed, or did the mysterious dude shoot at the plane himself? Questions!!!
    The way i interpreted it was the Kobra guy was the "desperate guy on the loose in Gotham" with the weapon and he was either hiding out on the roof or he came to meet up with the guy on the roof as possibly contracted/instructed, and that mysterious shadow figure set Kobra up by killing the guy and shooting the weapon to make it look like Kobra did it.
    I wanna ditch the logical... don't let me let you go...., living for the only thing i know, hanging by a moment... nom nom coffee nom nom tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    Or The Cat. (Selina Kyle)

That.. does make sense. Strange's run in the late 70s was about him replacing Batman/Bruce Wayne.

Astonishing Member

It also fits in the context of this recently announced Steve Orlando crossover; the monsters a natural outgrowth of Hugo strange unleashed

Really nice issue and a refreshing change of direction. I've resubbed to Batman after dropping off midway through Super Heavy - man that was grinding on, like pretty much every other overblown mega arc featuring Snyders lumphead Bruce and pages and pages of meandering babble. Tom King knows economy of story, he knows superheroes and more importantly, how to turn them inside out and on their head - just look at Grayson, Omega Men and Vision, each one a gloriously balls out out yet philosophical exploration of a comic mini-genre (sound like someone else we know?). So the Gotham Guy and Gotham Girl are obviously pretty **** looking and lame, but once you factor that King is probably about to go all Golden Age here and that Batman is back to being a borderline psychotic renaissance-genius quantum human with the epic feels for everyone around him, it's starting to look kinda exciting again
    Last edited by nepenthes; 06-20-2016 at 04:02 AM.

D*mned Prince of Gotham JasonTodd428's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I'm hoping it's Hugo as well. It would fit so nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post
    Really nice issue and a refreshing change of direction. I've resubbed to Batman after dropping off midway through Super Heavy - man that was grinding on, like pretty much every other overblown mega arc featuring Snyders lumphead Bruce and pages and pages of meandering babble. Tom King knows economy of story, he knows superheroes and more importantly, how to turn them inside out and on their head - just look at Grayson, Omega Men and Vision, each one a gloriously balls out out yet philosophical exploration of a comic mini-genre (sound like someone else we know?). So the Gotham Guy and Gotham Girl are obviously pretty **** looking and lame, but once you factor that King is probably about to go all Golden Age here and that Batman is back to being a borderline psychotic renaissance-genius quantum human with the epic feels for everyone around him, it's starting to look kinda exciting again
    I'm also really excited for this and resubbed to the book. I found this issue to be a refreshing change of pace from Snyder's work which I had dropped out of reading after End Game.
    Last edited by JasonTodd428; 06-20-2016 at 07:44 AM.
    Supporting LION FORGE COMICS and other independent publishers.

Check out Lion Forge's Catalyst Prime Universe. Its the best damned superhero verse in comics. Diverse characters and interesting stories set in a universe where anyone can be a hero. And company that prides itself on representation both in the comics themselves and in the people behind them.

Oh my goodness gracious! I've been bamboozled!

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change. AVATAR AANG

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Street View Post
    Clock king?
    Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah! Blah!

Generic condescending passive aggressive elitist statement.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

*Spoilers* *Spoilers* *Spoilers*

In Batman #1 (1940) Batman traces two monsters back to Hugo Strange's lair. Strange has created a serum that turns normal men into monsters. When he injects Batman he says, "Observe the clock, Batman! It is exactly 6 o'clock at night."
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 06-21-2016 at 12:50 PM.

Aha! Well solved, sir.

Astonishing Member failo.legendkiller's Avatar

It wasn't bad but not what I've expected.
    Sometimes was like reading Tomasi rather than King.

Liked how Bruce speaks about Dick and not still convinced of Duke's role, why is Batman giving him so much confidence?

Good to see Jim where he belongs but not so fond of another story of new "mysterious heroes"

Anyway I trust King and i'm sure this will be a great book, again.

CBR got me like.. Maxpower00044's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    *Spoilers* *Spoilers* *Spoilers*

In Batman #1 (1940) Batman traces two monsters back to Hugo Strange's lair. Strange has created a serum that turns normal men into monsters. When he injects Batman he says, "Observe the clock, Batman! It is exactly 6 o'clock at night."

image.jpg

Found this on reddit.