Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Eventually, yes. Maybe in two years, maybe in twenty, but at some point, the gravitational force of "this is how literally everyone on the face of the planet knows he looks, because this is such an iconic uniform that it single-handedly defined the stylistic conventions for an entire genre" will return things to their rightful place there.
    Buh-bye

With this regime? No. The "new" old Superman not wearing them seals it. They're willing to draw it in flashbacks and submit that he wore them at one time but the fact that they still opted to give him a new design without them in the present shows they have absolutely no intention of ever bringing them back. Now, after they're mercifully axed and DC gets a new power structure? Who's to say. Maybe its not the regime though, maybe its WB. If so then they would be gone even when Didio and crew are gone.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 06-09-2016 at 07:11 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Fantastic Member

It's mostly likely WB, they insisted Superman should not be wearing trunk for years during the development of those now abandoned Superman movie projects. If Zack Snyder's Justice League movie underperform again, it's likely they will switch back to the old look in other medias just to signal a clean break with DCEU superman.

Retired

It's common enough for women to wear shorts over leggings. The other day I saw a guy wearing shorts over leggings. Actually, because so many people are so phobic about the sun in these parts--I see a lot of swimwear worn over leggings and long sleeve tops. And when I was in Brazil there were these strange people who were completely covered head to toe--I asked some people what it was all about and nobody could answer me.

Really--in my real world--people will try just about any kind of clothing combination. So I don't know why comics have to be conservative.

I wonder if it's the trunks or the colours. Like, if Superman wore black trunks over dark blue leggings, would this be less offensive for some people? Aren't most costumes these days separate pieces not unitards. This seems so in the movies and TV shows--to allow greater range of movement for the actor, the costumes are pieces linked together.

BANNED

I'd love it if Clark admits that he ditched the red trunks to avoid embarrassing his son. That would be hilarious, and also a pretty valid excuse for getting rid of them. Cause what kid wouldn't be embarrassed by their father flying around with bright red underwear outside their pants?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    I'd love it if Clark admits that he ditched the red trunks to avoid embarrassing his son. That would be hilarious, and also a pretty valid excuse for getting rid of them. Cause what kid wouldn't be embarrassed by their father flying around with bright red underwear outside their pants?
    Superman is real and widely beloved to the masses in DCU, him wearing unconventional clothes would only cause them to be normalized and fashionable in the culture of that world.
    Last edited by qwerty3w; 06-09-2016 at 07:56 PM.

A Superman who forgot his trunks :
    http://global.rakuten.com/en/store/kasou/item/465292/

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty3w View Post
    Superman is real and widely beloved to the masses in DCU, him wearing unconventional clothes would only cause them to be normalized and fashionable in the culture of that world.
    Considering it's now a trend in universe for the average Joe to think Aquaman is a joke, it wouldn't surprise me if jabs would be made at the classic suit or even statements like Superman looks boring or old fashioned. Outside of the in fiction Universe, Superman isn't really as big in terms of popularity as he was, and I think stuff like the animated Superman vs The Elite kind of show that in terms of story.

Quote Originally Posted by Atlanta96 View Post
    Why the hell would Superman ever be embarrassed? If my dad was Superman he could wear whatever the hell he wanted because he's Superman.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Considering it's now a trend in universe for the average Joe to think Aquaman is a joke, it wouldn't surprise me if jabs would be made at the classic suit or even statements like Superman looks boring or old fashioned. Outside of the in fiction Universe, Superman isn't really as big in terms of popularity as he was, and I think stuff like the animated Superman vs The Elite kind of show that in terms of story.
    It's just the writers rarely recognize that the cultural dynamics in a world with Superheroes may be very different to ours.
    How is that look more boring compare to the classic fictional characters like Sherlock Holmes or Santa Claus?
    Last edited by qwerty3w; 06-09-2016 at 08:30 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty3w View Post
    It's just the writers rarely recognize that the cultural dynamics in a world with Superheroes may be very different to ours.
    How is that look more boring compare to the classic fictional characters like Sherlock Holmes or Santa Claus?
    Boring in an old fashioned way. Not saying I personally find it boring though, just don't see why people can't just brainstorm on modernizing his look rather then sticking him in the same costume for as long as he appears. Things are bound to spice up and be Rebirthed every once in awhile.

Sherlock Holmes and Santa Clause don't appear in literature more 3 times a month, it would probably be impossible or near it to try to think of a recurring character that's kept their look constant since inception in the comic world that is.

Honestly, I am just so happy to have my favorite parts of Pre-Flashpoint back (or on the way back as in JSA), that I can't complain about the trunks.
    I have no beef with Vegans

Maybe Ma Hunkel will pass on her green trunks to Superman.
    https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Tkk-u2qqq...h%2529_003.jpg

Extraordinary Member

Honestly, I could care less about the trunks themselves. I just hope that the continuity is retconned back into place soon. IMO, Superman looks better without trunks. His current look would be perfect if the boots were red instead of blue. And I love Capullo's design for Batman. So, I don't need the trunks. I just want the history of them wearing the trunks to come back.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Boring in an old fashioned way. Not saying I personally find it boring though, just don't see why people can't just brainstorm on modernizing his look rather then sticking him in the same costume for as long as he appears. Things are bound to spice up and be Rebirthed every once in awhile.

Sherlock Holmes and Santa Clause don't appear in literature more 3 times a month, it would probably be impossible or near it to try to think of a recurring character that's kept their look constant since inception in the comic world that is.
    Daleks in Doctor Who roughly keep their original look, being old-fashioned is acutally a selling point for it.

Average person in the world doesn't get exposed to Superman at a higher frequency than Santa Claus.