Default Batman, SuperDad, Hal Jordan, and Possible Continuity Issues

Spoilers from the preview for Batman #1 via http://www.comicbookresources.com/co...dc-comics-2016

spoilers:
    Batman tells Alfred at one point to put something on the Justice League channel for "Clark and Hal". Does this mean Batman has already accepted SuperDad into the Justice League? He literally just donned the blue and red last week and nobody knows who he is yet. Batman met him once, briefly, when he was the mysterious guy dressed in black in the Last Days of Superman arc, and he had no time to talk to anyone who wasn't his wife and son for "reasons". Isn't Batman supposed to be paranoid and suspicious by nature and not accept SuperDad until at least the second issue of Justice League, the first issue of which isn't coming out until July?

Plus, isn't Hal Jordan in space right now trying to establish the Green Lantern Corps or fighting Sinestro or something? Just when does this Batman comic take place?

Shouldn't he be having Alfred put out a message for "Diana, Barry, Cyborg, Arthur, Simon, and Jessica" (Yeah, couldn't remember Cyborg's first name off the top of my head, they really should do something to make that character more memorable. I like the idea of him, but I rarely retain anything about him in terms of details. He's just kind of there.) or something?

Kind of weird.

Put in the Superman section, because I don't really care about Batman on his own*. I'm mainly looking to discuss the Superman implications, so I'm putting it here in Superman. But if people want to chime in with Batman and Green Lantern specific stuff, that's cool. Not trying to direct the flow of conversation. Take it whereever it leads. I'm just pre-empting the obvious "Why isn't this in the Batman section?" thing.

*I would actually buy a true Batman solo book. Like, if he had a continuing book with no Robins and stuff and it was just him against the world, beating people up on the streets of Gotham at night. Maybe with an R rating and lots of blood. That would be cool. I just don't like his "cast" at all, really. Alfred is okay. That's part of why I do like Batman in Justice League and crossovers with Superman- it's just him usually, no cast.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 06-09-2016 at 08:00 PM.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I won't think about too hard

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

I think it was a continuity error and it's not worth thinking hard about.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Not the first continuity goof in a comic and certainly not the last.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Incredible Member

Pre-FP Superman was basically this version of Batman's OTP. They finished one another's sentences. If anyone could get his trust unreasonably fast, it would be him.

I actually hope Batman takes very little convincing here. He does have a thirteen year old son conceived after he became Batman to account for. And my read on Rebirth was that Johns is dismissing any explanations for Damian's age and playing up his impossible age as a clue. As in, basic math should persuade Batman this time.

Wonder Woman on the other hand may adopt a "trust no one" approach since she's now aware her timeline has been messed with and that the New 52 Greek Gods are fakes.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

It would be a continuity error if there was a big sign saying "Tuesday January 8th" at the start of the respective titles for Superman and Batman. I don't see why books under different teams and editors for different characters have to line up. If it helps, pretend this is before Last Days.

Continuity Error.. Recent errors.

Endgame... Batman "death" Superman(no depowered superman) and JL victims of the Joker
    Truth... Batman in the JL.. Batman in truth was impossible superman still had his powers in endgame.. and after endgame bruce wayne lost his memory

Aquaman Comics... Batman appears to help and also the depowered Superman... Imposible, when Truth finished gordon was still batman

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    It would be a continuity error if there was a big sign saying "Tuesday January 8th" at the start of the respective titles for Superman and Batman. I don't see why books under different teams and editors for different characters have to line up. If it helps, pretend this is before Last Days.
    wouldn't make sense because we saw gotham and gotham girl in the rebirth one shot.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

*shrug*

Maybe the Batman Rebirth special is well after the Action arc. Not knocking anyone who does, but I can't say I've ever found how comics line up to be a big deal.

I think I've given this example before, but my first encounter with the concept of continuity was the FOX Spider-Man cartoon. When the X-Men crossed over and were slightly different than they were on their show. I realized they weren't the same because the show wasn't the same.

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

Or this could occur at the same time as the Green Lanterns Rebirth, so Hal is still on Earth and Bats has talked to SuperDad and calls him Clark because...that's his name, too. Batman met SuperDad in Last Days

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    Or this could occur at the same time as the Green Lanterns Rebirth, so Hal is still on Earth and Bats has talked to SuperDad and calls him Clark because...that's his name, too. Batman met SuperDad in Last Days
    That's my guess, it's been juuust long enough for Batman to at least have a little trust in Superdad but before Hal left.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    That's my guess, it's been juuust long enough for Batman to at least have a little trust in Superdad but before Hal left.
    Yeah, thanks to Wally and Barry Bats is in the know about the timeline shift. While SuperDad is there because of Convergence, Bruce probably thinks it's an offshoot of the timeline wonkiness. Not too big of a leap for him to think ok, this isn't the Superman I knew, but he is a Superman and his name is Clark so let's give him a call

Also, if we assume all of the Rebirth issues take place around the same time even if published at different times, it's possible the JL has already been reconstituted with SuperDad as a member