Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Green Arrow #1 Preview

Here's an exclusive preview for the new Green Arrow #1.

Is it just me, or does Emiko look a lot older?

Nice to see Fyff is still around .

A little bit of *slightly* clunky/eye-rolling dialogue (the badass/know it all part) but otherwise looks pretty good. I never really expected to get into Green Arrow but it seems like one of the biggest surprises from Rebirth so far.

Also, can anyone give me a quick sentence or two summary of Emi's backstory? I have a decent knowledge of Ollie and Dinah but I know nothing about Emi.

Quote Originally Posted by Panfoot View Post
    A little bit of *slightly* clunky/eye-rolling dialogue (the badass/know it all part) but otherwise looks pretty good. I never really expected to get into Green Arrow but it seems like one of the biggest surprises from Rebirth so far.

Also, can anyone give me a quick sentence or two summary of Emi's backstory? I have a decent knowledge of Ollie and Dinah but I know nothing about Emi.
    She was introduced in Jeff Lemire's well received run, she's Oliver's half sister between his dad and her mom, Shado. She moved to Seattle to live with Oliver after the death of the man who kidnapped and raised her and she has been hanging around ever since.

Hopefully I didn't butcher that to much.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Emiko Queen

The "clunky dialogue" is what I like. Witty banter and tongue in cheek is Green Arrows thing. Before the New 52, anyway. He doesnt take himself as seriously as batman. His personality is closer to Howard Stark than Bruce Wayne. Fun read though!

Astonishing Member

She's the child of Oliver Queen's father and a woman called Shado - she was raised by the villain Komodo after he *thought* he'd killed Robert Queen, and she was trained from a very young age to be an archer/supervillain.

Basically, if Roy Harper is the Green Arrow version of Dick Grayson then Emiko is the Green Arrow version of Damian Wayne.

She was also about ten years old. Why she seemed to age six years between Lemire and Percy is as yet unexplained - except that they wouldn't get to write "empowering" dialogue like "try to objectify me and you'll bleed!" otherwise.

Yeah the dialogue is a little cheesy and heavy handed but I prefer it a lot more than the previous thought boxes of Ollie constantly thinking he's not a good hero just because he's a rich white guy. People may still give him a little hell about but at least it's a lot more fun or used for more comedic banter, which is what I want out of Green Arrow.

Plus the lighter art style really helps as well
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Is it just me, or does Emiko look a lot older?
    Even before Rebirth I was a little bit iritatatrd when she was suddely in highschool.

But maybe the writers finally realized that a hero doesn't look very competent when you pair him with a small kid that is as competent or even better than him.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    She was introduced in Jeff Lemire's well received run, she's Oliver's half sister between his dad and her mom, Shado. She moved to Seattle to live with Oliver after the death of the man who kidnapped and raised her and she has been hanging around ever since.

Hopefully I didn't butcher that to much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    She's the child of Oliver Queen's father and a woman called Shado - she was raised by the villain Komodo after he *thought* he'd killed Robert Queen, and she was trained from a very young age to be an archer/supervillain.

Basically, if Roy Harper is the Green Arrow version of Dick Grayson then Emiko is the Green Arrow version of Damian Wayne.

She was also about ten years old. Why she seemed to age six years between Lemire and Percy is as yet unexplained - except that they wouldn't get to write "empowering" dialogue like "try to objectify me and you'll bleed!" otherwise.
    Thanks, I knew she was relatively new but I didn't know she was only just introduced in the new 52.

BANNED

i remember people saying Ben Percy's current run was garbage....yet I've been hearing the opposite about his rebirth issue

why?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    i remember people saying Ben Percy's current run was garbage....yet I've been hearing the opposite about his rebirth issue

why?
    Simple answer, he lightened up.

His DCyou version of Ollie was a lot more serious with not a very big sense of humor to be found who constantly thought that perhaps he wasn't as great a hero because he was a rich white man. In Rebirth Ollie cut that out and even defended himself that he needed his finances because being a hero wasn't cheap, not to mention all the charity work he did, plus he was funny again.

Not to mention they switched the art style which was again much lighter in tone then the one before this.
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post

why?
    I think it more likely that editorial lightened up, too, as result of Rebirth. They don't have to have this weird strict "no references, no in-jokes, no classic G.A. footnotes" policy in place anymore. IE; it's the goatee.

Anyone else get the sense that Emiko is about to go gaga when she realizes who Ollie's new crimefighting partner actually is?
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

I didn't really care for the Rebirth issue and will definitely not be back for more, but I'm happy that Green Arrow fans seem to be enjoying this.

It's the same thing as with Wonder Woman for me, I've just never really gotten into Green Arrow, and even when I read stories with the character that I think are quite good (Lemire's run) I ultimately don't really care and am not invested. I think a big part of it is that I don't find Ollie relatable or likable.
    Image Comics (TPB):
    Saga, Southern Bastards, Injection, Descender, Deadly Class, Chew, Black Magick

DC Rebirth (Digital):
    The Flash, Batman, Green Lanterns, Aquaman

Astonishing Member AlexanderLuthor's Avatar

That Neal Adams and Kevin Nowlan variant 8) Sorry I had never heard of Otto Schmidt before - I don't usually like a "cartoony" style, but this looks like it's right out of an animated movie. Beautiful
    Last edited by AlexanderLuthor; 06-10-2016 at 09:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    I think it more likely that editorial lightened up, too, as result of Rebirth. They don't have to have this weird strict "no references, no in-jokes, no classic G.A. footnotes" policy in place anymore. IE; it's the goatee.

Anyone else get the sense that Emiko is about to go gaga when she realizes who Ollie's new crimefighting partner actually is?
    I like how she seems to recognize who it is just from the Canary Cry .

Thanks, I knew she was relatively new but I didn't know she was only just introduced in the new 52.
    Rebirth is definitely a fresh start, but I can't recommend the Lemire run enough. A fantastic GA run on par with some of the greats.