Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by 5Eyes View Post
    I dare say it may be even better then the original
    I flat out agree. The original show was a formulaic giant robot show. It gave the viewers what they wanted every episode, Voltron battling a giant monster and defeating it with its signature move. It followed the classic anime giant robot formula that became a big hit here in the US which hadn't seen many shows like it (unlike Japan, where GoLion was just another show like many others and only achieved average ratings).

This show is more like Gatchaman. The overall threat of the enemy is nearly overwhelming and quite a few of the agents are extremely clever, requiring great skill, daring, and intelligence to overcome from the heroes. The situation for the heroes is pretty dire, with the enemy achieving many of their goals while suffering both minor and significant setbacks. The action also isn't on the big threats either. The threat from the enemy is varied and requires the heroes to fight on many fronts (hth, lion, Voltron).

In addition, we have the magic of the Avatar creative team creating some great focus on all of the Voltron team, not just Keith and Alura. Sure, there are a lot of similarities in the personalities between the Voltron team and the Avatar/Korra teams, but considering how good those shows were with character development, that's not a bad thing.

Dare say away. It is better than the original Voltron series.

I liked the original GoLion story, even though it really stretched into "now they're just making up powers as they go along" route. Voltron suffers the curse of being great as a kid and gradually less so as time goes on.

But, speaking as an adult obviously, Legendary Defender is, quality wise, probably the best incarnation of all. I think back to that Nicktoons Voltron show with the junior pilots and can't help but wonder, "Just what the hell were you thinking?"

2 best reboots since 2000: Shin Godzilla and Netflix's Voltron!

I'm not done with this new season but boy, I loved Sven showing up.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    2 best reboots since 2000: Shin Godzilla and Netflix's Voltron!

I'm not done with this new season but boy, I loved Sven showing up.
    Rumors around say we may get Romelle season 4 or 5.

Also loving seeing Sven, with the accent too, and given that the Alteans from that reality still have a certain item, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Sven and the other members of the original voltron again.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Rumors around say we may get Romelle season 4 or 5.

Also loving seeing Sven, with the accent too, and given that the Alteans from that reality still have a certain item, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw Sven and the other members of the original voltron again.
    I wouldn't mind Sven, Pidge's brother, the real Shiro (I haven't seen the last episode yet but I assume he's a clone right now), the alternate version of the alien guy with all the arms (I can't remember his name right now), and a Golra defector (the woman Keith fought with maybe) or a Blade person show up and save Voltron with the vehicle version or one of the others from the alternate dimension!
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

BANNED

So does anyone else get the feeling that Lotor's weapon will end up being Vehicle Voltron? He's building it out of the same type of comet that Voltron was made from and that ship he made, looked like it could be a component of a mecha.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheLastDalek View Post
    So does anyone else get the feeling that Lotor's weapon will end up being Vehicle Voltron? He's building it out of the same type of comet that Voltron was made from and that ship he made, looked like it could be a component of a mecha.
    I seriously doubt it's going to be Vehicle Voltron. For one thing, he'd need 15 pilots for Vehicle Voltron and only has 5. For another thing, the ship was the same size as a lion, so he'd need about 3 more comets to complete Vehicle Voltron. Third, the ship did indeed look like it will eventually become the legs of a mech, but looked nothing like any of the vehicles of Vehicle Voltron. So, I don't think we're getting Voltron vs Voltron action here.

I'd like to see Voltron and Sven travel to the dimension where Vehicle Voltron is in their final battle with the Drule Empire and help them defeat the Drule once and for all in a nice callback to "Fleet of Doom". Then, I'd like to see them convince the Vehicle Voltron team accompany Sven to his dimension to help the Guns of Gamora fight the Alteans, with Sven to act as their advisor much as Shiro is for Voltron. That would be cool, but I also doubt that's going to happen, because the producers of the show aren't really that aware of Vehicle Voltron or even seem that interested in it.

However, they surprised us with Sven. Anything's possible, especially now that they've introduced alternate dimensions.

Mighty Member

Excellent version of the classic anime! and not to mention have you all seen the uncut versions of the original Voltron anime?

Mighty Member

I somehow missed season 4 when it came out, so I just finished watching that now. Some great episodes to start off the season, including a Pidge centric episode, one really bad episode, and a completely stellar two part finisher that once again epitomizes an epic galactic war made up this short 6 episode season.

Great things:

1) Being awesome at generally everything isn’t just a trait of Pidge, it’s a trait of her family. I’ve given the creators tons of grief for making Pidge such a Mary Sue, but at least the creators are being consistent and making her brother a Gary Stu as well. The scene where Matt and Pidge each try to declare that they can handle the situation solo, smiling that they were both thinking the same thing, and deciding to work together was a very nice family moment that had been a long time coming. Also, we find out that Pidge was Matt’s nickname for Katy, which explains why it was so easy for her to use in her disguise at Galaxy Garrison. She never had to worry about forgetting that she was Pidge, because she always has been Pidge. Nice touch there, writers. Pidge and Matt are still too competent, but at least you’re consistent.

2) Haggar’s plan at the end of the season to kill Voltron and eliminate the Voltron coalition. Dang, what a plan the witch had! It nearly worked too. Of course, the resolution was obvious, but still, the way the team and the coalition started to panic when they realized that the witch had them dead to rights was awesome in its execution. This is the level of threat I want my heroes to overcome.

3) Haggar in general. The witch was quite a nuisance to both Voltron and Prince Lotor this season. With someone this competent at his side, it’s no wonder that Zarkon was able to rule for so long.

4) The Voltron coalition – Voltron can’t fight a war by himself. He needs an army and the Voltron Coalition is starting to become formidable enough to start helping Voltron liberate the galaxy from the Galra Empire.

5) Once again, Lance proves to be the one that reminds another member just how awesome they really are. Lance really does know how to talk to everyone on the team earnestly. He truly is every member’s biggest believer. That’s not surprising, considering he pretty much is modeled after Sokka and Bolin from the Avatar series.

6) Kaltenecker – why do I love this cow so much? Is it the absurdity of the team, in space, fighting a galactic war, having a cow? I don’t know, but I love her.

Bad things:

1) The time jump. This is likely the main reason the writers consider this the fourth season. However, it didn’t really make sense in the Galra storyline. Zarkon had awoken at the end of season 3 and it took him six months to bring Prince Lotor back and declare himself the Emperor of Galra once more? I don’t know. Maybe Zarkon was that out of it when he woke, but it sure seemed like he wanted Lotor brought to him right then when he awoke. This was just not handled very well.

2) spoilers:
    Keith leaves the Voltron team. What? Why? Because he wants to learn what it means to be Galra? Because he is afraid of leadership? This wasn’t really explored so well beyond the single argument between Keith and Shiro. Though maybe the intent of the writers was to feature the Blade of Marmora more with Keith as its newest member, but the execution wasn’t the greatest. Maybe this will all make sense later, but right now, I can’t really figure out what the writers’ plans are for Keith.
    end of spoilers

3) The Voltron Show. No, just really, no. I can buy Voltron being a symbol that unites the rebels. I can’t buy that the rebels join up because the Paladins do live action Power Ranger stage shows. Coran continues to be a weak link to the show. This was a waste of an episode.

4) spoilers:
    Prince Lotor’s most loyal supporters turn on him – Okay, I can see why Ezor and Zethrid turned, given what Lotor was forced to do (which consequently gave Haggar her cat back), but why did Acxa turn on him, considering she looks at Lotor like he is either a) a messiah or b) the man she’d kill to bone (or both)? Really, the events of the season should have split the group, not isolated Lotor completely.
    end of spoilers

Overall:

The fight is on now, with the Voltron coalition taking the first steps toward liberating the galaxy from the Galra Empire. It wasn’t quite as good as season 3, but boy, those final two episodes of the season were quite exciting. There’s some nice set-up here to for the next season, with spoilers:
    Lotor now seemingly with the coalition, Lotor’s lieutenants on the run in an interdimensional ship, the mystery behind Shiro and his “escape”, and the coalition now has a substantial foothold to start launching new offensives against the Galra Empire.
    end of spoilers

So last I read ... Voltron was getting 50 episodes but was expanded to 78. So that means we're getting close to the end game, right?

Mighty Member

So last I read ... Voltron was getting 50 episodes but was expanded to 78. So that means we're getting close to the end game, right?
    45 episodes thus far. We're a little over halfway there. There's still a lot of story to tell, which is great because there are a number of new plots now.

Mighty Member

And now season 5 is watched. The show isn’t letting up at all. As storylines are completed, others fill their place, providing lots to look forward to. As usual, let me break down the things I loved:

1) Lance isn’t just everyone’s biggest believer, he’s officially the second in command. It isn’t said out loud, but even Allura follows his orders in the field because he has become quite the lieutenant to Shiro. I loved how Allura talked with Lance to let him know that the others had been noticing how much he has stepped it up lately. Lance continues to be my favorite character.

2) I’m really digging how the writers are toying with me. I’m expecting Lotor to betray the Voltron team because it’s freaking Lotor, but at the same time, he’s just so damn charismatic (except a couple of times when he’s trying too hard) that I can understand why Allura is starting to trust him. It could actually be that Lotor is as honorable as he seems, but I still doubt it. Thus the writers have created a situation where they can freaking completely fool me by having Lotor actually be the ally the Voltron team needs, or Lotor could be the conniving snake I still believe he is because of the original series (and one brief moment this season where he seems to show his true character). Just amazing work on all parts on Lotor, from the writing to the voice talents of A.J. Locascio on creating an intriguing character. Well done, guys.

3) Hunk: “There IS a lot of Space dust!” Coran: “IT’S FILTHY IN HERE!”

4) “SKRAM!” The mini adventures of Pidge, Hunk, and Lance with a reprogramed Galran bot were great! I loved how the guards chasing them ended up part of the group by the end.

5) Whoa! spoilers:
    Hot Mama! So, Galran’s apparently age much slower than humans.
    end of spoilers I honestly thought spoilers:
    Krolia was Keith’s older sister when I first saw her.
    end of spoilers I’m guessing this is the reason the writers had Keith leave the team. Well, that and spoilers:
    Shiro being Haggar’s spy on the team.
    end of spoilers

6) Uh oh, Haggar knows about spoilers:
    Oriande
    end of spoilers. This is not good.

Not so good things:

1) So I guess the 6 and 7 episode seasons are an official thing now. It isn’t quite so bad since the creators are quick to get us the next season, but it is a little bit jarring to end a season feeling like I’ve only watched half a season.

2) Team Punk: Apparently, in the future, couples will continue the annoying shipping thing of combining their names. I really hope Pidge and Hunk don’t actually become an item, and it seems they both agree by the almost horrified look on their faces when spoilers:
    Pidge’s father mentioned that modulation arguments are how he and Pidge’s mother met
    end of spoilers. I like Pidge and Hunk as a brother/sister type of team, not as a romantic couple.

3) It kind of irks me that Allura hasn’t figured out that Haggar is Honerva yet. She knows Zarkon and Honerva used to be as inseparable as Zarkon and Haggar are now, she knows Zarkon has used quintessence to prolong his life, and she knows Haggar is Altean. I know it serves the story purpose, because knowing Lotor is Honerva’s son did a great deal in helping Allura trust Lotor more while knowing he is Haggar’s son would make it near impossible to trust him. Still, given everything Allura knows, she should at least suspect Honerva and Haggar are the same person. (edit: rewatched episode 5, where Allura does bring up the possibility that Haggar and Honerva are the same, so nevermind).

Overall:
    The longest running storylines are now concluded and new, intriguing ones are being laid out before us. There’s a lot that happens in this season with a large focus on the mythology of Altean ancient science. There are some really intriguing questions here:

1) What exactly is Lotor’s true game here? I’m mostly sure it’s not good.
    2) Are he and Haggar working together, or is Lotor completely unaware that Mommy Dearest is watching him?
    3) What was the super weapon that Krolia was watching over? Just how powerful is it? I have a feeling this will be a robeast Voltron will have to deal with.

Some more answers to come when season 6 arrives in June.
    Last edited by Basara; 03-09-2018 at 11:13 PM.

Mighty Member

No, this show was always meant to be 78 episodes. We're getting close to being two-thirds into the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Basara View Post
    5) Whoa! spoilers:
    Hot Mama! So, Galran’s apparently age much slower than humans.
    end of spoilers I honestly thought spoilers:
    Krolia was Keith’s older sister when I first saw her.
    end of spoilers I’m guessing this is the reason the writers had Keith leave the team. Well, that and spoilers:
    Shiro being Haggar’s spy on the team.
    end of spoilers
    spoilers:
    I think I read somewhere that part of the reason they had Keith leave and kind of wrote him out is because of Steve Yeun's busy schedule.

I think I also read in a Scott Menville interview that they couldn't always get him into the group recordings for Stretch Armstrong and the Flex Fighters (he's the voice of Wingspan on that show).
    end of spoilers

They're gonna reveal Shiro and Lotor are evil at the last possible moment, aren't they? Like in the heat of a big battle. Hopefully Keith gets more time and comes back to the team soon. He's my favorite.