Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Not really, because it involves a bunch of convoluted backstory as to why she can't just be a non-clay baby.
    No it doesn't she just is and you accept it there's no backstory necessary

Not really, because it involves a bunch of convoluted backstory as to why she can't just be a non-clay baby.
    What is wrong with back story? George Perez's first issue of Wonder Woman was mostly backstory, and I for one enjoyed that issue very much. I've learned to live with the new story of Diana's birth and being a demigoddess, but I didn't see anything wrong with the original origin. A mother wanting a child so much that she prayed to the gods and was given the one thing that she wanted the most. She formed the child from clay and the child was given life to be the champion of the amazons. Really it is pretty simple.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MTroy View Post
    What is wrong with back story? George Perez's first issue of Wonder Woman was mostly backstory, and I for one enjoyed that issue very much. I've learned to live with the new story of Diana's birth and being a demigoddess, but I didn't see anything wrong with the original origin. A mother wanting a child so much that she prayed to the gods and was given the one thing that she wanted the most. She formed the child from clay and the child was given life to be the champion of the amazons. Really it is pretty simple.
    There are several threads specifically about the clay origin in which I went into great detail about this, but I feel we're completely derailing the thread here.

Incredible Member Amazon Swordsman's Avatar

Hippolyta and Zeus had a close friendship, but were never lovers. She successfully warded off several of his advances. So he decided to help Hippolyta mold a clay figure to satisfy her yearning for a child. They both made figures from clay. After closer examination, they both agreed to use Hippolyta's model, as not only was it better than Zeus' but it was the object of her pure love.

Zeus decided to help bring the figure to life, so after Hippolyta shed some of her piereced blood and smeared it on its head, Zeus infused a portion of his soul, his essence into her, and Diana was born.

Hera was furious with Hippolyta and the Amazons for she thought their queen had an affair with her husband, but was mistaken. Hera knew not of the prophecy of the first born to take his life and rule over Olympus.

Diana's body infused with the soul of Zeus allowed her to temporarily occupy Ares' mantle of God of War to lead a counter attack against the first born, becoming the Olympian child of destiny to beat the prophecy. Jason was the clay twin brother figure to Diana brought to life as well, but kept hidden away should Diana not be able to fulfill the mission.

I know this stuff won't happen. Just some stuff I'd like to see lol
    Last edited by Amazon Swordsman; 06-12-2016 at 11:57 AM.

Is year one about Steve landing on the island and Diana bring him back to America or is it about
    her first year in America working with Steve and joining Justice League and meeting Etta Candy?
    It is part of the Truth story line.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    You mean the backstory of Hippolyta and the Amazons fleeing Man's World due to persecution and Hippolyta later being granted a child because she prays for it? Not that convoluted. The WW animated movie didn't spend that much time on it and most people in the audience won't even be asking why she's a non-clay baby anyway.
    The really (semi)convoluted part of the story is explaining the background of Hippolyta and the Amazons, how and why they ended up on the island, why the island can't be found by outside forces, how they are immortal, etc...and like you said, all that stuff needs to be dealt no matter what circumstances surround Diana's birth. Clay birth, Zeus affair or stolen Hercules sperm, whatever it is, comes after Hippolyta's story and is usually pretty straightforward compared to everything else.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by My Two Cents View Post
    Is year one about Steve landing on the island and Diana bring him back to America or is it about
    her first year in America working with Steve and joining Justice League and meeting Etta Candy?
    Both, probably. A year is a long time.
    It is part of the Truth story line.
    No.

Batman origin: Thomas and Martha Wayne had a baby, and then bad stuff happened.
    Superman origin (traditional, non-Byre): Jor-El and Lara had a baby, and then bad stuff happened.
    Wonder Woman origin (traditional): It gets complicated, and then stuff happened.
    Wonder Woman origin (modern): Hyppolyta and Zeus hada baby, and then stuff happened.

And the stuff happening is universally more important than the baby stuff.
    "The Amazons are an all-female society that worship the Greek goddesses. Their queen Hippolyta sculpted a child from clay, and the goddesses granted it life. Stuff happened."

For anybody who reads fantasy, this is not the least bit complicated.

Of course, my objections to the Zeus origin are not that it's complicated; it isn't. And I would have preferred as mortal-man-as-father origin, which also isn't complicated. But neither is the clay origin - especially if you posit an all-female society, which is, after all, the basis of the story.

(Edited to add: also, it's so close to the Creation of Adam - who God made out of earth or dust or clay or whatever, then brought to life - that anybody brought up in our culture should find it instantly familiar. You don't need to know who Pygmalion and Galatea were to buy this premise.)
    Last edited by Doctor Bifrost; 06-12-2016 at 10:37 PM.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

I will never accept anything different from the clay origin (details may vary). If Rucka will fail at restoring the true origin, this run will be like watching a great chef trying to cook c*ap.

Theory.
    There are two intertwined timelines/realities:
    Timeline 1 ---> Nice Amazons / Brunette Hippolyta ---> Clay ---> Diana ---> Wonder Woman
    Timeline 2 ---> Bad Amazons / Blonde Hippolyta ---> Zeus ---> Jason ---> God of War
    They have the same mother, technically, but not from the same reality. They are... continuitwins!
    The mysterious deceiver used bits of their similar lives to craft this fake past life (new 52) for Diana, for some reason.

We know Jason because we witnessed his adventures through the new 52. Truth is that Azzarello's run happened to Jason.

Mighty Member

Perhaps I coukd edit the first post to "Please discuss which origins you like and not." and ask a mod to re-title the thread to "Opinions on WW origins?"...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk80 View Post
    Theory.
    There are two intertwined timelines/realities:
    Timeline 1 ---> Nice Amazons / Brunette Hippolyta ---> Clay ---> Diana ---> Wonder Woman
    Timeline 2 ---> Bad Amazons / Blonde Hippolyta ---> Zeus ---> Jason ---> God of War
    They have the same mother, technically, but not from the same reality. They are... continuitwins!
    The mysterious deceiver used bits of their similar lives to craft this fake past life (new 52) for Diana, for some reason.
    This sound more like a really bad Chris Claremont or Scott Lobdell type of story, not a Greg Rucka story.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    The really (semi)convoluted part of the story is explaining the background of Hippolyta and the Amazons, how and why they ended up on the island, why the island can't be found by outside forces, how they are immortal, etc...and like you said, all that stuff needs to be dealt no matter what circumstances surround Diana's birth. Clay birth, Zeus affair or stolen Hercules sperm, whatever it is, comes after Hippolyta's story and is usually pretty straightforward compared to everything else.
    pretty much the same. one isn't anymore straightforward than the other and is hard to explain hippolyta ever sleeping with hercules or zeus

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    Perhaps I coukd edit the first post to "Please discuss which origins you like and not." and ask a mod to re-title the thread to "Opinions on WW origins?"...
    Well, it does seem like some "Origins" spillover was bound to happen.

It seems like there must be an actual "Opinions/Origins" thread of some sort.

This sound more like a really bad Chris Claremont or Scott Lobdell type of story, not a Greg Rucka story.
    As long as Azzarello's garbage is removed, I don't care if it's good or not. Still better plot than nu52WW 1-52

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk80 View Post
    As long as Azzarello's garbage is removed, I don't care if it's good or not.
    If I were you I'd brace for disappointment.