Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Default How would YOU merge the Supermen?

Let's say DC Comics came to you and said "it's your task to take The New 52 Superman and Pre-Flashpoint Superman into a single character with a unified history. You have until next Friday to figure it out. Go!" How would you approach it if given the task?

What would the origin look like? What events from both's histories would you incorperate?

Now, main ground rule. it has to be at least as close to a 50/50 formula as you can. No, say, erasing everything Post-Crisis about Superman and pretty much make him exactly like Nuperman, nor can you ignore all the newer elements of the New 52 Superman and just make him Pre-Flashpoint Superman. Now the formula can swing into a 55/45 or a 60/40 ratio,but not too far in either direction.

Also, no answers like..."I wouldn't do it because it's stupid" or "I'd get rid of both of them and just bring back pre 1986 Superman". You are given the task to merge the Supermen, and do so you must, even if you don't like the idea in principle. If you want to contribute you this thread, the only answer is merger.

I will give my own answer sometime tomorrow or Sunday,but I will open the floor to you all and your thoughts and ideas.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

I don't like messing with the continuity so I would keep the stories I've read since 2011 as they are (more or less), and I would add the post-crisis stories (relationship with Lois, Superman's 90's death, etc...) during the first unseen 5 years of Superman's adventures.
    About Jon, I'd erase him, but I don't think it's possible (damn!!!) because he "defines" the Superdad side of things. So, Jon was conceived during the "unseen" five years in which Lois and Clark were still together before they broke-up amicably and Superman moved into the post 2011 status-quo (except that he has raised Jon with Lois even that they're no longer together).
    In the present, I would start to change Superman to make him more "mature" and a leader.
    Single Superdad+Superkid+both Supermen's histories intact. That's the best I can do without doing a massive rewrite of continuity.
    Last edited by Last Son of Krypton; 06-11-2016 at 05:45 AM.

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Broadly speaking, New 52 past, Post-Crisis present.

Morrison's run sticks around in at least the broad strokes as the base, if only because they're not letting go of the t-shirt and jeans look (though probably establish that Martha sewed the first t-shirt before she and Jonathan died, so you can still have the "Martha created the costume" deal even when he switches to the spacesuit), just with the New 52 suit swapped out for the classic suit. Probably some bits of Secret Origin get folded back in since that's the version the guy now essentially running DC wrote; the "I want to be your son" and fighting Luthor for the first time segments could be slotted in without much issue. About 5 years into his Supermanning he marries Lois (Superman/Wonder Woman is a welcome casualty), 6 years in they have Jonathan so that by the 15 years in present the kid can be at his current age of 9 or so. Most of the Post-Crisis adventures happened in some form or another - Death of Superman, Superman Red/Blue, Conduit since apparently people really dug that, maybe New Krypton, whatever - along with the more notable New 52 stuff. And maybe he recently altered his costume to the pajama onesie suit if they want to keep that around for some reason. He's got the superflare, Supergirl just showed up recently, Superboy is probably back to being the Superman/Lex clone with all the New 52 stuff never to be spoken of again. Busiek's Superman is probably a fair model for how he should be written as a compromise between the 'extremes' of the Post-Crisis and Post-Flashpoint versions in terms of dialogue and attitude: grown-up, but without a stick up his ass.
    Buh-bye

Fantastic Member Potanical Pardon's Avatar

My eyebrow kind-of raises to the 50-50 ratio. One version has 26 years of history. It could even be argued that even that version can claim all the Pre-Crisis years too as he interacted with individuals and beings from during those years. The other has barely 5 years with the strong point of not having anything to do with 73 years of continuity.

Unhappy

...I have no idea how to fix this.. My superman was a single man of 30 years.. superdad will have between 40-50 years..

Maybe I would eliminate what happened in convergence.. NO JOHN.. The character would be more young and less boring, Not family life with child, less boring.

But this merger possibly happen, that clark kent rebirth is not going to stay in DC, both fused but with Superdad Rules.. As piccolo in dragon ball Z when he is merged with Nail and Kami Sama.
    Last edited by adrikito; 06-11-2016 at 04:47 AM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Potanical Pardon View Post
    My eyebrow kind-of raises to the 50-50 ratio. One version has 26 years of history. It could even be argued that even that version can claim all the Pre-Crisis years too as he interacted with individuals and beings from during those years. The other has barely 5 years with the strong point of not having anything to do with 73 years of continuity.
    Yeah but the first five or so of post-Crisis Superman's 15 year-ish career was always kind of a blank slate.

In that sense, a hybrid could work. Maybe circa year 5, he rescues Ma and Pa from Vndrtrx or something and marries Lois around year six. It probably would work better to shove the marriage earlier in. It was always planned for Superman #75 but they had to delay it so as not to upstage the TV show. In hindsight, nothing very good gets lost if he and Lois are married when he fights Doomsday.

I'd also want All-Star and Silver-Age elements scattered throughout. Maybe a year working on-air at WGBS, albeit maybe as a correspondent rather than anchor.

Great answers thus far. Dispenser of Truth is pretty close to what I'd do honestly.

The basics:

Superman history time frame, 10-15 years. Superman started his open career as Supes around age 22 with the Morrison origin still the canon version. Wears a t-shirt and jeans with work boots, which was his "costume" when he operated as the mysterious rural legend of Smallville, Kansas, the mysterious "Super-Boy" (this works because Morrison showed a young Clark meeting the LOSH wearing that outfit, sans the insignia, so he was already alluding to this.) He was Super-boy for several years from age 12-18, opening up a time frame where you could re-canonize some of the Pre-Crisis Superboy and Legion stuff on a case by case basis. Morrison's early ACTION issues are canon, with one notable change....The Kents do not die when Clark is 16 and not in a car accident. However, by the time we get to the present day they have both passed. (will explain later)

Much of the New 52 stuff with Superman happens in the first few years of his career in the cape, although the exact order of events are looser. Yes, Diana and Clark shippers,Superman and Wonder Woman DID occur,but eventually they did part ways, as friends and have moved past the early awkwardness post break up into the close friendship we had Post-Crisis/before the Identity Crisis/Maxwell Lord nonsense. The goal here is that New 52 fans still have those stories as canon to this version of Supes. The only exception is TRUTH and what came after,as frankly, Truth was a heaping pile of horse dung.

Around year 3 to year 8 Pretty much the Post-Crisis history from after EXILE kicks in to continuity. The classic storylines like the Blaze/Satanus War,Krisis of the Krimson Kryptonite, Time and Time Again, the Eradicator storylines, Panic in the Sky, The Death and Return of Superman, Fall of Metropolis,Trial of Superman, Electro Supes/Superman Red and blue, Dominus. Our Worlds at War etc, all happened at least in the broad strokes. DOOMED and the the New 52 crossovers like He'll on Earth and Return of Krypton also happened too somewhere in all this. As it all stands as the "past" for the most part, When it happened in relation to everything else doesn't really matter, just that it all happened. I think though most of the post 2000 stuff we could do without,but for the sake of building a loose continuity where everything counts, even stuff like GROUNDED and NEW KRYPTON may have still happened. We just won't ever directly reference it.

Kara has only recently has come into Clark's life.I'd frankly just stick strictly to New 52 canon with her.
    As much as I like the Matrix Supergirl era and the Igle/Gates Supergirl stuff with Kara, with her it's just easier to use the New 52 stuff as her origin story and go forward with the upcoming "inspired by TV" take.

Conner is back to his Pre-Flashpoint origin and history. New 52 Superboy didn't happen. Period. He appeared during the Death and Return story as originally intended.

Luthor....I guess go with his SECRET ORIGIN back story and go from there. He is largely the same guy as prior to Flashpoint anyway, so leave it all be. Only significant change to his history due to the new merged Supes,is that He was once President,but was driven from office. Eventually appeared to reform and joined the Justice League. Now is the covert ruler of Apokalype.

Lois and Clark are married in present day and have been for several years. How you handle Jon depends on if he grows popular. If he is popular by the time of the merger, keep him somehow (I like ASCENDED's Idea of Lois and Clark being wisked off to another dimension to raise the kid from infancy to 10 years old, returning with Jon in his current age. The reason why Lois and Supes don't age in that time? It's comics.) If not, the merger eliminates Jon's history....however,the door is opened for Lois to become pregnant and have Jon and watch him grow up naturally sometime in the future.

The Kents. They live later into Clark's life,but are both gone presently. Lord V's manipulation of the time stream and Superman's life never happened, (see below) thus they didn't die in the Auto accident shown in Morrison's run. The Kents lived to see their son become Superman. Jonathan passed away from a heart attack the day Superman was buried in Metropolis, however in the afterlife he helped his son return to the land of the living, sacrificing himself more or less so his son may live. Martha has just recently passed away, with the farm in Smallville under the ownership of Lana Lang and her New husband Jon Henry Irons (I like the Lana/Steel relationship. )

The larger supporting cast and rogues gallery? Everyone. Get everyone. From the new 52 (Shay veritas, Baka,The toy master, He'lletc)

Post-Crisis (Bibbo, Professor Hamilton,Maggie Sawyer, Conduit, etc) Since in this new history everything pretty much happened, everyone is on the table again.

So, how do you merge the Supermen?

As Sacred Knight suggested elsewhere, I'd connect it somehow to Lord V.

Nuperman returns to life and there are two Supermen around. They briefly operate as Superman Red and Superman Blue. Things are going well....Then Mr. Oz shows up and reveals his true identity....

He is actually Mr. Mxyzptlk, and he informs the Supermen that things aren't right. They are both Superman and not. Superman's history is broken and it was broken the day Lord V mucked around the time stream, killing Martha and Jonathan Kent years before they were supposed to pass and setting a chain of events that led to the current situation. Now Lord V has escaped his prison and is enacting a final reign of vengence on Superman, the house of El (rememeber, Jor-El also stopped him in the past), Clark Kent....pretty much the entire Superman family and plans to do the unthinkable, erase Krypton from existence. Thus starts a time spanning, dimension hopping, mind bending adventure involving both Supermen, their allies, their loves, etc all leading to ACTION #1000....where our Supermen stop Lord V once and for all and as a result, time and reality for Superman is fixed and both Nuperman and Superdad are no more. In their place is who he should have always been.

So as a result, we get a Superman that retains the best of both (New 52's Krypton, the origin that mirrors his publishing history, his more tougher personality, Post-Crisis Superman's Iconic stories, and supporting cast) and provide a good launching point for the next few decades of stories.

There's my take. Take it or leave it .
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?

It seems to me that simplest course would be to have one guy who remembers both histories. I know that doesn't sound simple, but think about it a little bit. Any Superman story they want to follow up on from either post-crisis or new52, they can. Any adventure we read, Superman remembers living through. No one ever has to worry about continuity glitches like "Wait, what Superman did thst happen to? Did we fold that part in or not?". It all happened. You literally now can build a followup on everything. He is both guys. Anything any character experienced with a Superman, they experienced with him- whether its Lee the fire fighter or Maggie the police officer.

Plus, you can do the occasional thing where Clark remembers someone two different ways and isn't sure if they are his ally or not.

Merge the Loises also. Make everyone their new52 age. Clark and Lois are no longer married but they both remember being married and also just being friends, and you can play that drama out however.

Will Wheaton makes a guest appearance as "The Traveler" to take Jon away until he's 18 (or forever).
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 06-11-2016 at 11:25 AM.

BANNED

With a Kryptonite blender...

Retired

Sampling these Rebirth comics, I can't say I'm impressed with either Beardy or Collar Boy. Even if they were somehow fused, I don't think it would add up to a great Superman--not one I have any desire to follow.

DC's best solution would be to say that the Death of Superman was the end of the Man of Steel. He never came back--all the disparate timelines are the universe/Dr. Manhattan getting it wrong. When the true Superman finally does return from the dead, he remembers all those other lives but those didn't happen in truth. His journey into the afterlife has changed him and given him new powers.

An alternative would be same sort of thing, but it's All-Star Superman. He comes back from the Sun--all the other universes were transcendent experiences he had in the Sun, didn't really happen.

When Superman Returns he's a near god. He and Dr. Manhattan battle for the universe. But in the end, the Man of Tomorrow realizes that no human being should be so powerful--and the last use of his cosmic powers is to repair the damage done by Dr. Manhattan, heal the timelne and restore himself to his regular power levels.

Healing the timeline returns most of the events for Superman up to his death/going into the Sun--and weaves into his his life story a few of the best bits from the other retcons and reboots. But Superman isn't married and doesn't have a son.

In the Fortress of Solitude, Superman has an Imaginary Room, where he keeps a hundred bottles. In each of these bottles is a virtual reality and when Superman dons a VR suit he can transcend into these bottle worlds. In one of these worlds is the wife and son he remembers from one of his non-existent lives. In another bottle world is Kandor, and so on.

I would give New 52 Superman back 5 years. So he debuted 10 years ago and had a lot of the classic pre-Flashpoint stories as well as his New 52 Action Comics origins.
    Jon Kent would be a reimagined Chris Kent. He wouldn't be Superman and Lois' biological son, but Zod and Ursa's and would be adopted by the Clark and Lois (like Clark himself was by Ma and Pa Kent). That way he could still be 10 years old without aging Superman and Lois so much.
    As for the books:

- I think Superman's solo should focus on big, cosmic adventures, so he wouldn't be around in Metropolis as much. He'd be taking care of Jon in his free time.
    - With a less present Superman, Lex and Steel would compete to become Metropolis' protectors. Lex vs. Steel would be the main focus of Action Comics.
    - Superwoman would actually be Lucy Lane. Lois would co-star in that book alongside her sister, trying to keep her in check and away from their father's influence as she fears her Superwoman will become a pawn of the military.
    - I'm fine with Supersons, but as said before, Jon would be Clark's adopted and not biological son.
    - I wouldn't change much about Supergirl, I just hope it's not too much like the TV show.
    - New Super-man is not a book I'm particularly interested in, but I don't know enough to propose changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    With a Kryptonite blender...

Well, that escalated quickly. Moving away quickly now.....

Anyway, I'd use the 52 take on Krypton. Along with the current versions of Zod and Supergirl (both versions of Kara have had mostly bland runs with a fist full of great exceptions so it doesnt even matter really). I'd also like to see if something worthwhile can be done with H'el; he's a self-fulfilling temporal paradox that thinks he's Krypton's salvation, even if Lobdell's two arcs with him weren't executed too well its a concept worth saving.

The 52 Maxima is exactly what we have.....but her mother, also Maxima, is pure post-Crisis and I'd like to see that whole corner of the mythos expanded into Game of Thrones in space.

Clark's early years, including his sense of alienation, power development, baseline stats, etc, are all 52. Perhaps rub some post-Crisis into it for Kenny Braverman (easily inserted) and Clark's relationships with Lana and Pete.

Martha is alive. Johnathan dies when Clark is young. My preference is natural causes (heart attack, cancer, etc) but Vyndx's involvement is fine.

Superman's early years are pure Morrison Action. T-shirt and jeans, Daily Star, first encounter with Brainiac, Metallo, Steel's origin, meeting Lex....that run remains whole and the villains there are all the 52 versions. Metallo might evolve into something closer to post-Crisis over time, but for now he's good as is.

Parasite is post-Crisis version. Both 52 Toyman (Hiro) and post-Crisis Toyman (Shlott) exist. Doomsday is 52 version; the idea of Doomsday as a virus and the kill-cloud, as well as the mystery surrounding the origin, make this far better than the last one. Bizarro is post-Crisis; including the failed, tortured and Frankensteinish original version, and the Emperor Joker, Bizarro #1 version (though a tad more serious than normal).

Current day is largely post-Crisis. Married to Lois, Jon is the new Superboy.

Steel has the 52 origin but after that his post-Crisis history, picking up at the moment John hears about Clark's death. He never claimed to be Superman, after all, but his actions were so "Superman" people believed that "soul jumping" thing.

Conner Kent is all post-Crisis. But now that we have Jon, Conner would need a new name.

Metropolis expanded cast includes the post-Crisis likes of Sawyer, Turpin, Henderson, Bibbo, (mah fav'rit!) with Shay Veritas replacing Emil Henderson as Clark's go to science-person. Emil's history, and fall from grace as Ruin, can remain in continuity. Planet staff includes Lombard and Ron Troupe. Cat Grant can do whatever over in the pages of Supergirl. Krypto is 52 version.

Lana and everything introduced in the 52 Smallville, including that creepy group of old timers sitting on the porch, remains. Along with Lee Lambert.

Clark Kent is handled New52 style; post-Crisis Clark Kent was too much of a yuppie rockstar. Clark needs to be that socially invisible guy with very few friends who focuses on social issues and is far from a award winning big name journalist. Id have current Clark be a novelist who still does reporting on his own time, pursuing the "real" topics.

Superman's personality starts out 52 (brash, over-confident, lots of swagger) and evolves into post-Crisis Triangle Era, but with the self-assurance and quiet, unflappable confidence you expect from a older guy who has his act together. No post-Infinite Crisis self-doubt or navel gazing. The seasoning and relaxed machismo of (the good parts of) post-Crisis, but with the fire-in-the-belly New52 has (which is gloriously fun).

Solar flare power remains. Maybe over time a few other abilities can work their way in, mirroring the Silver Age but not as ridiculous, with more focus put on solar energy and quantum engineering type descriptors. Expands on what Morrison did, but the drawback doesnt leave Clark human baseline, but instead Morrison t-shirt and jeans baseline. Otherwise, Clark is at a Lobdell type of planet-pushing power levels.
    Last edited by Ascended; 06-11-2016 at 02:28 PM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

Anyway, I'd use the 52 take on Krypton. Along with the current versions of Zod and Supergirl (both versions of Kara have had mostly bland runs with a fist full of great exceptions so it doesnt even matter really). I'd also like to see if something worthwhile can be done with H'el; he's a self-fulfilling temporal paradox that thinks he's Krypton's salvation, even if Lobdell's two arcs with him weren't executed too well its a concept worth saving.

The 52 Maxima is exactly what we have.....but her mother, also Maxima, is pure post-Crisis and I'd like to see that whole corner of the mythos expanded into Game of Thrones in space.

Clark's early years, including his sense of alienation, power development, baseline stats, etc, are all 52. Perhaps rub some post-Crisis into it for Kenny Braverman (easily inserted) and Clark's relationships with Lana and Pete.

Martha is alive. Johnathan dies when Clark is young. My preference is natural causes (heart attack, cancer, etc) but Vyndx's involvement is fine.

Superman's early years are pure Morrison Action. T-shirt and jeans, Daily Star, first encounter with Brainiac, Metallo, Steel's origin, meeting Lex....that run remains whole and the villains there are all the 52 versions. Metallo might evolve into something closer to post-Crisis over time, but for now he's good as is.

Parasite is post-Crisis version. Both 52 Toyman (Hiro) and post-Crisis Toyman (Shlott) exist. Doomsday is 52 version; the idea of Doomsday as a virus and the kill-cloud, as well as the mystery surrounding the origin, make this far better than the last one. Bizarro is post-Crisis; including the failed, tortured and Frankensteinish original version, and the Emperor Joker, Bizarro #1 version (though a tad more serious than normal).

Steel has the 52 origin but after that his post-Crisis history, picking up at the moment John hears about Clark's death. He never claimed to be Superman, after all, but his actions were so "Superman" people believed that "soul jumping" thing.

Conner Kent is all post-Crisis. But now that we have Jon, Conner would need a new name.

Metropolis expanded cast includes the post-Crisis likes of Sawyer, Turpin, Henderson, Bibbo, (mah fav'rit!) with Shay Veritas replacing Emil Henderson as Clark's go to science-person. Emil's history, and fall from grace as Ruin, can remain in continuity. Planet staff includes Lombard and Ron Troupe. Cat Grant can do whatever over in the pages of Supergirl. Krypto is 52 version.

Lana and everything introduced in the 52 Smallville, including that creepy group of old timers sitting on the porch, remains. Along with Lee Lambert.

Clark Kent is handled New52 style; post-Crisis Clark Kent was too much of a yuppie rockstar. Clark needs to be that socially invisible guy with very few friends who focuses on social issues and is far from a award winning big name journalist. Id have current Clark be a novelist who still does reporting on his own time, pursuing the "real" topics.

Superman's personality starts out 52 (brash, over-confident, lots of swagger) and evolves into post-Crisis Triangle Era, but with the self-assurance and quiet, unflappable confidence you expect from a older guy who has his act together. No post-Infinite Crisis self-doubt or navel gazing. The seasoning and relaxed machismo of (the good parts of) post-Crisis, but with the fire-in-the-belly New52 has (which is gloriously fun).

Solar flare power remains. Maybe over time a few other abilities can work their way in, mirroring the Silver Age but not as ridiculous, with more focus put on solar energy and quantum engineering type descriptors. Expands on what Morrison did, but the drawback doesnt leave Clark human baseline, but instead Morrison t-shirt and jeans baseline. Otherwise, Clark is at a Lobdell type of planet-pushing power levels.
    So essentially what I would do, just worded better then?

Great post as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

I really like this one. Doesn't leave anyone out.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

50-50 isn't really possible if you compare the lengths of time, but trying to preserve as much core as possible:

Year 1. Action Comics vol. 2 #0-12

End of year 1 to end of year 3. Superman vol. 2 #19 - Adventures of Superman #505

Year 4. Action Comics vol. 2 #14-18
    *Wedding*

Year 5. Superman Forever to Adventures of Superman #623
    Superman and the Legion of Superheroes
    Action Comics vol. 2 #13

That's a lot to condense into five years, but so many issues happen in a short time span.

And then Convergence forward, with the birth and upbringing of Jon