Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Will Superman get a good video game?

Many super heroes like Batman, Spider-Man, the X-Men and even the Hulk, have gotten a couple of good video games (sure they also had a lot of duds and Hulk really only got one good game) but Superman has never gotten a good video game.

Is the concept of Superman too tricky to fit into a video game format (how can you come up with suitable game play challenges to a guy as powerful as Superman) or have past game developers missed something when adapting Superman into a video game?
    Last edited by The Overlord; 05-01-2014 at 01:40 PM.

It would certainly be hard to do a Superman game (It's easy to just punch and win....unless they de power him).

Giving it to a great game studio, like Rocksteady might do the trick (I hope WB is planning to do that...since Arkham games is coming to an end).
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

I shake my head when some fans insist that a great Superman game is "easy" to accomplish. I'm guessing it's possible to make a game that can be both challenging and faithful to the idea of being Superman, but those are often at odds with one another. It's a tough balance. Just because you can make a 5-star Batman game doesn't mean a Superman game should be made.

I'd rather nobody released a Superman game than if someone released another shoddy game like Superman 64, but I do hope someone at least tries to make one that's great, even if it means failing.

Incredible Member

Superman: Shadows of Apokolips was good.....

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevanjacobjohn View Post
    It would certainly be hard to do a Superman game (It's easy to just punch and win....unless they de power him).

Giving it to a great game studio, like Rocksteady might do the trick (I hope WB is planning to do that...since Arkham games is coming to an end).
    I'm not so sure of this. Rocksteady can make a great Batman game. But that doesn't mean they can make a great Superman game.
    Life is but a dream

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I don't even play video games but I'd be all over a SUPERMAN game.

Superman can soar through the skies of Metropolis and blast up into space to face the onslaught of Brainiac. Hell, he can storm the gates of Apokolips with Orion and battle Darkseid.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I shake my head when some fans insist that a great Superman game is "easy" to accomplish. I'm guessing it's possible to make a game that can be both challenging and faithful to the idea of being Superman, but those are often at odds with one another. It's a tough balance. Just because you can make a 5-star Batman game doesn't mean a Superman game should be made.

I'd rather nobody released a Superman game than if someone released another shoddy game like Superman 64, but I do hope someone at least tries to make one that's great, even if it means failing.
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    I'm not so sure of this. Rocksteady can make a great Batman game. But that doesn't mean they can make a great Superman game.
    That is true....I think WB should give them a chance...see what Rocksteady comes up with, if they like the initial ideas, allow Rocksteady to pursue it.

In a way though, we already can play as 'Superman' in DCUO...well, some of his powers, I suppose.

Flight, Super strength, X-ray, Freeze Breath and Heat Vision.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

BANNED

I'd like to see an open-world Superman game where Supes can freely fly around, use his heat/x-ray vision, punch through walls, twirl really fast and drill into the ground, etc, and you get points for the number of people you save and/or how creatively you do it. Or maybe you get more powers as you go along, because you're just coming into your powers, or there's some kind of sun-sapping device you have to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevanjacobjohn View Post
    That is true....I think WB should give them a chance...see what Rocksteady comes up with, if they like the initial ideas, allow Rocksteady to pursue it.

In a way though, we already can play as 'Superman' in DCUO...well, some of his powers, I suppose.

Flight, Super strength, X-ray, Freeze Breath and Heat Vision.
    That is true, DCUO is the closest we have so far. Its free, and its actually very fun!
    Life is but a dream

I would like to see a good Superman game on current gen but I would like to see one not related to any movie tie-in.
    Last edited by SSJ4JW; 05-02-2014 at 11:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dot View Post
    Superman: Shadows of Apokolips was good.....
    Shadow of Apokolips was good. It was a lot of fun and had 40 minutes of new animation for S:TAS. It's a very underrated game.

Really, Nu52 Superman lends himself very well to a video game. He started off at GA power levels in jeans and a t-shirt. He found his new costume and his powers continue to grow as he absorbs more sunlight. He eventually becomes a cosmic level superhero. That all works well with a leveling system of a video game. As you advance you build up powers and unlock new ones. You start off fighting street crime and criminals and move on to alien invasion and cosmic threats. Throw in some natural disasters. As bonus content goes, Superman has had plenty of different costumes over the years for alternate skins. At this point, someone really should be working on a Superman game. There are plenty of elements from the comics that lend themselves to great games. There are plenty of villains to challenge him at different levels. At the GA power level you have villains like the Anti-Superman Army, more modern power levels you have guys like Bizarro or Metallo, and at the cosmic level you have Brainiac, Mongul, or Darksied. You can even use Hellspont and the Daemonites as a villain and some fodder if you like.

I'd like to echo the sentiment that the Nu52 Superman lends himself very well to a video game. If it was placed early in his timeline when he was far less powerful than he is "currently", the developers could get away with a lot more. To answer the OP's question though: Eventually, yes, I think someone will make a fantastic Superman game. Unfortunately to do the Man of Steel justice, so much would have to be incorporated into the game that it would take a very long time to develop. The technology for such a game is definitely there now. I just don't know if the desire (from the game companies) is there.

There's many problems with the conception of a good Superman Video Game.
    First, how powerful Superman shall be? Batman is a hero with no superpowers which means he can face street level threats and once in a while a super-threat. The guy who can travel faster than a speeding bullet and crush a truck with his bare hands needs super-threats all the time to get a real challenge.
    Two, how 'open-world' should it be? Should we have a universe limited to Metropolis, the U.S., the world or should we get some off-world adventure in space.
    Three, you need a pretty good script to make the game interesting while keeping the core values of the character (hope, optimism,...) otherwise all you'll get is an arcade 'beat-them-all' type of game that will probably disappoint the fans of the comics and quickly bore the hardcore-gamers.
    "If I wanted smooth,I'd be with Hal Jordan."

The only way I see a Superman game working is if its when he's starting out as Superman and you don't have very many powers, but as the game goes on you get more powers to fight tougher enemies and by the end your the unbeatable demigod we all know and love. Basically a lot like the Infamous games. Now that I think about it Sucker Punch could make a pretty good Superman game.

Astonishing Member

If WB outsourced it to a studio like Platinum or Hal Studios I could see it working out.