Quote Originally Posted by Mel Dyer View Post
Great Hera, Carabas! Did you read anything I just wrote?
Yes. Did you?

I just said that I think a Wonder Boy or man would be entirely ridiculous. How do you get Steve Trevor in 'a patriotic bathing suit' out of that?
Exageration or effect.
How do you get that putting armbands on Lennox, who doesn't look or read anything like Wonder Woman, make him 'Wonder Man'? I just said that I think it's a wacky idea! What do you want from me?!
Well, that is just the way it is. Put Diana's iconic weaponry on Lennox and have him go bullets and bracelets, and he's effectively Wonder Bloke in everything but name. That's just how comics work. Look at how many fans were calling Harper Row the new Oracle just for beng good with electronics.

I think Azzarello created Lennox to kill him off for dramatic effect ..and nothing more.
Well, absolutely. Okay, not just for that, he had a bunch of other roles before he died, but he was undoubtedly created with his death in mind.

This is something that, in spite of my initial hopes for what could be done with Lennox, that I have accepted and moved on from. In consideration of the dramatic impact that Lennox's death was intended to create (but didn't), I also realized, rather later than you and our other friends here, what an incredibly stupid, pointless and ridiculous character that Lennox had been. Beyond establishing that the New 52 Wonder Woman had demigod siblings in the world, Lennox really brought nothing to the story, was eclipsed and made irrelevant by the arrival of Orion and was never developed to even a tenth of his narrative potential.
He brought some much needed levity and irreverence.

He was a waste of time, and I'm glad he's out of the comic.
He was a great minor character. Not everybody can be A-list, and there is nothing wrong with that.

And I think you couldn't be more wrong about what corporate ambitions can do for the development of a story and a comic book character. If you really, really believe that, you should burn every comic book you have and put out your eyes with hot pokers! Without corporate ambitions driving the comic book publishing business, most of the classic characters we read about wouldn't have lasted beyond a first appearance. Where do you think Robin, Superboy, Winter Soldier, She-Hulk, the Justice League and the SILVER AGE came from? Some beatniks hanging out in a coffee shop?
Actually, I firmly believe that if the silver age hadn't happened, and the stranglehold of Marvel and DC and this one genre on the medium had been broken, then maybe comics would be as big in America as they are here and in Japan.

Corporate desires? Are you kidding me?!
Hey, you're the one that started going on about the brand.

I don't think you quite get that a superhero comic, called Wonder Woman, is being written by someone, who has told us, very plainly, that he has no interest in writing a superhero adventure comic ..or how that shapes the writing of a story.
I do get it and I am perfectly okay with it, and I take Azzarello's words with a huge rock of salt, considering that he's writing the best superhero adventure DC is currently publishing.