Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Eh, not really. DC Superhero Girls is its own universe, so its fine. Heck even in the comics you could argue she's more of an antihero then villian at this point.
    Hell, when you think about it's not unlike Disney adapting Grimm fairy tales or Greek mythology for family entertainment.

She has her fans for some reason but she will be sticking around for quite awhile. I personally don't like her unless she's with the Joker.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Unfinishedsentenc View Post
    ... feminist ... villain and the complete opposite of a role model.
    Oh, thats kind of meta, now im sort of interested.

Astonishing Member

I've read a few of her trade paperbacks and just do not find her amusing at all. I prefer more subtle humor. A few humorous books I enjoyed at over Marvel was The Astonishing Ant-Man and the Superior Foes of Spider-Man. Those gave me a chuckle. When I read Harley Quinn I just rolled my eyes. I just don't see how she is so popular at all. Deadpool comics are funnier than hers!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    it's amazing she makes it to 30 issues with her solo series(and gets relaunched into a second one)

but how long can DC Expect people to keep this hype train running before it's out of gas? she isn't superman or batman she's not someone you can count on having great sales forever and at some point the well's gonna dry up

the only question is when and is there anyway DC can keep Harley Quinn's popularity from declining?
    Do you know how characters who aren`t Batman and Superman get to grow a fanbase and be able to support a series, whatever the shape? By editorial taking chances and not sticking always to what is comfortable or expected. Comics aren`t just the big guns and lesser guns ca become A list, if only chances and fundamental alicerces are made.

I don`t know why anyone would even bother about a character`s hype train or not but as long material is being made that get people drawn into, it will continue.

I actually think a lot of people either hate the character when she's not in a supporting role, or just have no interest in her altogether
    How does that work when she`s currently more popular than ever?

I have no interest in her whatsoever but to deny she`s popular is a bit silly to me.

. I would say that it's crazy how so much female empowerment propaganda came to be pushed onto a character like that, who's basically a villain and the complete opposite of a role model, and whose sole purpose of existence was to be Joker's annoying yet distinctly charming version of Robin?
    It`s easy. Because...

. But I suppose characters tend to outgrow themselves, so to speak?
    Yeah. And her creator was the one who initiated that trend. Robin at large isn`t just the sidekick of Batman any longer, despite that being something more tied to the comic line than other media, but there`s stuff with him where Batman doesn`t need (and usually isn`t) to be there like the Titans and Young Justice cartoons.
    Last edited by Aioros22; 06-11-2016 at 03:11 PM.

Surprised to see all the Harley hate. Dont visit the Bat-boards too often, though. Is this normal here?

I dont think Harley is going anywhere. She's been building up for a long time, with merchandise in places like Hot Topic, and someone at DC recently called her the "fourth pillar of DC" so you know she brings down some serious bank. I wouldn't be surprised if she moves more merchandise than Superman these days, honestly. I mean, probably not, but I wouldnt be surprised to hear she does.

I used to think Deadpool would fade into obscurity....and he just keeps getting bigger. Harley's much the same way, and if Robbie knocks the role out of the park in Suicide Squad and/or her solo film sees the light of day and is a hit, she's not going anywhere.

One of the things I do like about Harley is these days she's a survivor of domestic violence trying to make a life of her own and be better than she was. Sure, she's still completely insane and over-the-top volent, but she started moving away from "villain" into "anti-hero" territory years ago now, and that seems to be working pretty well so far.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GreenLanternRanger View Post
    Eh, not really. DC Superhero Girls is its own universe, so its fine. Heck even in the comics you could argue she's more of an antihero then villian at this point.
    A Psychotic Wacky Land Anti-Hero who just does dangerous and stupid things

because she's nuttier than a fruitcake

Mentally Screwed Up Characters are hard to market as heroes when sooner or later their insanity is gonna bite them in the ass and result in them becoming a villain or doing something extremely stupid...several times that seemed like a good idea only to them

I Think there's enough weirdo's floating around the dc universe...do we really need a hero(anti or pure)who could go flying off the rails at any second and try to kill everyone?

The "Harley Quinn Craze" has been going on for almost a quarter century at this point.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Surprised to see all the Harley hate. Dont visit the Bat-boards too often, though. Is this normal here?
    Sort of? I mean, it's more normal for the OP to make uniquely passive aggressive threads about the popularity of characters I can only assume they don't personally enjoy.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    The "Harley Quinn Craze" has been going on for almost a quarter century at this point.
    i would say it only really became a craze when they launched the most recent harley quinn solo book...until then nobody would really Say "Harley Quinn's One Of The Most Popular DC Characters"

i would say it only really became a craze when they launched the most recent harley quinn solo book...until then nobody would really Say "Harley Quinn's One Of The Most Popular DC Characters"
    She was one of the DCAU's most popular characters immediately. It's what got her introduced into the comics in the first place. People loved Mad Love, which was done as a comic before it was done as a BTAS episode.

BANNED

A Psychotic Wacky Land Anti-Hero who just does dangerous and stupid things

because she's nuttier than a fruitcake

Mentally Screwed Up Characters are hard to market as heroes when sooner or later their insanity is gonna bite them in the ass and result in them becoming a villain or doing something extremely stupid...several times that seemed like a good idea only to them

I Think there's enough weirdo's floating around the dc universe...do we really need a hero(anti or pure)who could go flying off the rails at any second and try to kill everyone?
    Harley's nuttiness is the reason people love her though. When she first started she wasn't particularly villainous or even effectual. She was presented as a character tragic obsession. What people were actually drawn to was the screwball comedybsge brought to the table, that could gel or clash with even the Joker's brand of comedy.

Now you could argue that more recent versions of Harley are more villainous (New 52 and Arkham Harley) but Palmiotti and Conner aren't necessarily going for that. They want the Batman TAS character, the mischievous looney tune. She doesn't exactly do heroic things, but she's no risk of a psychotic break.

BANNED

but how do you keep that kind of character from getting stale and more importantly from getting annoying? if you got a deadpool like character who constantly acts annoying and says random things while solving problems in a over the top mickey mouse manner

eventually there will come a point when the character's craziness will start to wear thin on the audience and just be like nails on a chalkboard....(this only really becomes a risk when said character starts getting thrown in everything or has several books with them in it)

i feel like there's been over a dozen deadpool books put out by marvel in the past few years and it's only served to make it seem like Marvel just wants to shove him into everything they can and make it clear that Deadpool's here to stay

i don't think anyone wants Harley Quinn to start having a crap ton of mini's and various other books with her name on it....Comic Fatigue is real and fans shouldn't have to see a character whose fame started out naturally...get turned into a sellout cash cow that's lost all it's joy and fun and now only exists to keep a hype train running they don't have fuel for and to give them A 4th Character to add to the DC Mainstream Tier(Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman/....Harley Quinn?)

BANNED

Bugs Bunny hung in there for like 70+ years.

pygophile and podophile Dr. Cheesesteak's Avatar

Has OP learned nothing from Deadpool?
    Comics were definitely happier, breezier and more confident in their own strengths before Hollywood and the Internet turned the business of writing superhero stories into the production of low budget storyboards or, worse, into conformist, fruitless attempts to impress or entertain a small group of people who appear to hate comics and their creators. -- Grant Morrison, 2008

trade-waiting - Ice Cream Man, Monstress

backlog - Blade of the Immortal, Mignolaverse, Promethea, X-Cutioner's Song