so for good or worse, her fun personality is strong enough to over come
    the less than stellar plots and stories she has been showcased in for the
    last few years.

Harley Quinn would be a constant staple in my collection if the writing was
    better (for me), as it is, I will follow her next series and when the time
    comes to cut back on titles, she (unless better writing comes along) will
    be the first to go. (and I will get my thrills in Suicide Squad

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I may not be crazy about a lot of the things DC has done with Harley and I don't think she warrants having as many books as she does, but her popularity doesn't spring from nowhere. She's an excellent character, one of the best to come out of the Bat-Verse. Characters don't get this popular unless they have something going for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Well he tried to kill Dick and Tim and there was that time he tried to blow up a train just to spite Bruce.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Only in Battle for the Cowl which was extremely out of character.
    He also murdered two cops (or security guards, whatever they were) in Morrison's run when he recruited Scarlet. People tend to just let these things slide with Jason, which is one reason why I can't stand the little prick.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    He also murdered two cops (or security guards, whatever they were) in Morrison's run when he recruited Scarlet. People tend to just let these things slide with Jason, which is one reason why I can't stand the little prick.
    It's debatable if that even still happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    He's still a prick though, that's not debatable.

Morrison is the only guy who has done anything good with Jason since his pointless resurrection. Jason coming back to life as a twisted version of Batman that is a villain is awesome, Jason being an unfunny, antihero, douche is lame.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    He's still a prick though, that's not debatable.

Morrison is the only guy who has done anything good with Jason since his pointless resurrection. Jason coming back to life as a twisted version of Batman that is a villain is awesome, Jason being an unfunny, antihero, douche is lame.
    Let's be honest here... That's not the fault of Jason. That's the fault of the series of clowns DC has appointed to write him (including making him a big part of bloody Countdown).
    Put somebody like Greg Rucka or John Ostrander on Red Hood and the Outlaws, and it turns into one of DC's best books. The concept of former Robin gone to the dark-grey side is a really great one and should write itself.

Now that marketing has gotten hold of her, she will slowly but surely be a goody-goody like Wonder Woman

How she became a hero to females is sad and misplaced and desperate

SHE'S EVIL...and sexy

Let's be honest here... That's not the fault of Jason. That's the fault of the series of clowns DC has appointed to write him (including making him a big part of bloody Countdown).
    Put somebody like Greg Rucka or John Ostrander on Red Hood and the Outlaws, and it turns into one of DC's best books. The concept of former Robin gone to the dark-grey side is a really great one and should write itself.
    While this isn't a Jason thread, I feel Lobdell understands him pretty well.

Extraordinary Member

That was as out of character as Battle for the Cowl.
    And both are not how he was originally written, and published years after Under the Red Hood. These are really the worst Jason Todd stories ever.

Judging Jason based on those stories is like judging Cass based on her "Evil Phase" post one year later, Dick on "The Dark Knight Stikes again" or Bruce on something like "All Star Batman and Robin".

Since Jason hair is Black again, and Scarlet and the horrible costume have not been referenced yet, I'm pretty sure that it isn't canon anymore.
    Last edited by Aahz; 06-13-2016 at 02:09 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    While this isn't a Jason thread, I feel Lobdell understands him pretty well.
    Understanding well and writing well aren't exactly similar in this case.

I may not be crazy about a lot of the things DC has done with Harley and I don't think she warrants having as many books as she does, but her popularity doesn't spring from nowhere. She's an excellent character, one of the best to come out of the Bat-Verse. Characters don't get this popular unless they have something going for them.

People are way more willing to call out Jason on his bad decisions that they are for Bruce. To the point where some of Jason's actions that aren't even all that bad are made worse than they are. Or if they were done by Bruce they'd be ignored or downplayed. This article shows how writers went out of their way to put all the blame for Jason's death solely on Jason and ignored the role, Joker, Bruce and Jason's mother played.

https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/2821274.html

BANNED

getting back on topic since this isn't a jason todd related discussion thread

i think DC's just taking advantage of the fact that it's been many years since they had a female character with issues that sold great consistently

wouldn't matter who it was...just that they managed to keep a steady stream of big sales coming from

even wonder woman DC's most iconic lady never had the numbers that Harley Quinn's putting up

though it does paint quite a picture that the most successful female for DC right now is also the crazier and least likely to remain in a world that isn't in his own head

Since Jason hair is Black again, and Scarlet and the horrible costume have not been referenced yet, I'm pretty sure that it isn't canon anymore.
    I'm pretty sure DC confirmed Dick's year as Batman was canon and now with Rebirth merging timelines DC are sure to bring tentacle monster Jason back :P

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysalis_Changling View Post
    getting back on topic since this isn't a jason todd related discussion thread

i think DC's just taking advantage of the fact that it's been many years since they had a female character with issues that sold great consistently

wouldn't matter who it was...just that they managed to keep a steady stream of big sales coming from

even wonder woman DC's most iconic lady never had the numbers that Harley Quinn's putting up

though it does paint quite a picture that the most successful female for DC right now is also the crazier and least likely to remain in a world that isn't in his own head
    A huge part of Harley's appeal is her aesthetic. My niece and her friends know absolutely nothing about comics and are talking about seeing Suicide Squad because she looks so cool.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    I'm pretty sure DC confirmed Dick's year as Batman was canon and now with Rebirth merging timelines DC are sure to bring tentacle monster Jason back :P
    I take tentacle monster Jason, over Morrison crap anyday.

BANNED

I take tentacle monster Jason, over Morrison crap anyday.
    Tentacle monster Jason?

What did I miss?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Tentacle monster Jason?

What did I miss?
    Maybe Punisher-Lite got his own Franken-Castle?