Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    THAT was awesome.

One thing I enjoyed about the New 52 in general and N52 Superman in particular.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Pretty much the only real gripe I had with Morrison was his ability to tell such a complete story. That's a fine thing when you write a finite character. But it's like a really well worded yet closed ended question, in turn it stifles follow up.

And this isn't his fault, dunno who to accurately blame, but the books never fired simultaneously.
    I suspect that might be part of why Morrison looked on in hindsight and said that he wished he'd treated each issue largely like a one-shot story. That cartoon/folktale, perpetual story quality that a superhero one-shot employs would've likely alleviated and sense of finality. I personally don't think the ending felt so close-ended, but I can see why someone might feel that. I recall Morrison likening monthly comics to something of a live performance or improvisation.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

That's a good comparison. It's kinda what I mean in the sense that Morrison was like an Oscar winner stuck in an improv role. Batman was sort of improv, but more like one where the audience didn't shout unreasonable demands. You can lose him for months in a simple mystery and build to the point that the world is so much bigger and more challenging than he knows. Superman meanwhile conquers ideas thrown at him and it's apparently tough to adjust for scale. Morrison might wish he added more in, but I'm not surprised that he hasn't gone back and doesn't seem to plan on it. Superman consumes ideas. He's "said his piece."

Which is why I think I may revisit Lobdell, if not just give him more praise for his less lengthy stories. Guy wrote half of everything in the 90s, he's a reliable idea factory. I'm definitely revisiting Doomed in November.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    That's a good comparison. It's kinda what I mean in the sense that Morrison was like an Oscar winner stuck in an improv role. Batman was sort of improv, but more like one where the audience didn't shout unreasonable demands. You can lose him for months in a simple mystery and build to the point that the world is so much bigger and more challenging than he knows. Superman meanwhile conquers ideas thrown at him and it's apparently tough to adjust for scale. Morrison might wish he added more in, but I'm not surprised that he hasn't gone back and doesn't seem to plan on it. Superman consumes ideas. He's "said his piece."

Which is why I think I may revisit Lobdell, if not just give him more praise for his less lengthy stories. Guy wrote half of everything in the 90s, he's a reliable idea factory. I'm definitely revisiting Doomed in November.
    I suppose so.
    Pull List: Currently Empty