Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ina heshima kwa Jumuia kama ka View Post
    I miss the Super Beard.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

BANNED

I know that in this moment a scene like this is even more delicate than last year. I'm completely pro BLM, but with the situation in my country I don't presume to comment on problems of the USA, of any other country. Take this scene as is, a great moment of Superman, the champion of the opressed as his creators intended.

http://hellyeahsupermanandwonderwoma...-42-written-by

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

If TRUTH was more of this, and less Vandal Savage and his kids running around, or Superman being a dick to everyone that cares for him, or the multitude of agregeous misteps that story took, I would have never bailed on it.

Hell, if we got more of this in the New 52 rather than endless pointless crossovers in general and the annoying way DC's marketing team was trying to convince everyone in the beginning that Superman was now "kewl" instead of, you know, actually doing real character work and definition and world building, New 52 Superman, and the New 52 in general would have lasted far longer than it did.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    If TRUTH was more of this, and less Vandal Savage and his kids running around, or Superman being a dick to everyone that cares for him, or the multitude of agregeous misteps that story took, I would have never bailed on it.

Hell, if we got more of this in the New 52 rather than endless pointless crossovers in general and the annoying way DC's marketing team was trying to convince everyone in the beginning that Superman was now "kewl" instead of, you know, actually doing real character work and definition and world building, New 52 Superman, and the New 52 in general would have lasted far longer than it did.
    You got that right.

Man, those first few issues of Action were amazing. If that had become the new status quo going forward forever I dont think I would have minded at all (well, maybe a cape and proper haircut, but otherwise...). Strong, topical storytelling with something approaching nuanced plots (up until we learned that the cops were just shadow-infested monsters, which dumbed it all down back into "good" vs "bad" guys). Truth really could have been a Superman story for the ages. I feel like those first couple issues still were.

For all my love of Nuperman, the 52 was a whole lot of unfulfilled potential with few payoffs.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post

Preach on, sir!!

Pak's first arc before Doomed, his first arc of BM/SM, Horrorville, and the first few issues of Truth are damn fine Superman, and kept the spark bright after Morrison left. To this day I feel like Pak never got a fair shot at the character, and yet he still produced some outstanding work. That's a testament to him as a writer. I think Pak and Kuder are ultimately the biggest losses, for me, in DC's mismanagement.

It's really bitter sweet that I'm enjoying Tomasi and Gleason's Superman right now, but I don't get anymore Pak and Kuder Superman. As I was telling Sacred Knight in another thread, I'd be more than willing to switch out Jurgens for Pak and Kuder. I really miss their heart and energy.

That's why I'm still miffed they pulled him off in the first place. Who cares if the status quo was changing as massively as it was? He could have done wonders with that too. Okay so it was Jurgens who had the idea to give Superman a kid. You pat him on the back, let him write and L&C to set up the status quo, than hand that over to your Action team. Don't pull them for inferior talent. You do that and you get what we've gotten. A piss poor Action Comics.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    That's why I'm still miffed they pulled him off in the first place. Who cares if the status quo was changing as massively as it was? He could have done wonders with that too. Okay so it was Jurgens who had the idea to give Superman a kid. You pat him on the back, let him write and L&C to set up the status quo, than hand that over to your Action team. Don't pull them for inferior talent. You do that and you get what we've gotten. A piss poor Action Comics.
    I'm not quite as mad, but I'm not happy with Jurgens' work on Action Comics in the slightest. I'm with you, thank him for his continued contribution to the myth and then call it a day. Maybe keep him on as like co editor? But man, Pak would've great. Hell that's not even acknowledging the fact that the art on Superman books would have been the best in mainstream comics. Kuder (someone like Chris Burnham maybe?), Gleason, Jimenez, and freakin Mahnke!!!! Like can we take a second and think about how amazing that would be?!

At the very least we know Pak can write younger people/kids (he created Amadeus Cho) lol

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Maybe Pak has left the series on his own due to "creative differences". I don't rule it out, they derailed his plans just to kill Superman.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Looking back over some of these pages, I really didn't like anything about Pak's run. Just lovely art from Kuder but so much junkfood, in terms of story. Saccharine. There's just nothing there. That's fine, but I feel like it became so much more noticeable when he'd do these shock value events that had zero substance.

Lobdell penned a far more interesting Superman. I'd much rather read those issues again, for the sheer insanity of them. There's just so much pulsing through them, even if the mark is never really met.

Pak-Kulder leaving was one of the main things that pushed me off the books.

They want to create a huge, convoluted mess and change the status quo with reality-altering BS? Wouldn't be the first time, wont be the last. But where I drew the line was Pak-Kulder leaving while Berganza kept his job. Way to reward poor performance while driving out the few quality employees at the office, DC.

It was just insult added to injury.

If DC had kept those guys on, I would have given it a fair shot and complained a lot less (I still would've complained about Superdad, but not as much). I very likely would still be reading all the Super-books, instead of just Superman (and Im typically issues behind even there).

But hey, that's more money I can spend on Image.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Maybe Pak has left the series on his own due to "creative differences". I don't rule it out, they derailed his plans just to kill Superman.
    I was wondering the same thing. I wouldn't be surprised. And I sort of hope its true. It'd serve DC right if they lost quality creators because of their editorial driven ass-hattery.

~ Black Panther.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post

They want to create a huge, convoluted mess and change the status quo with reality-altering BS? Wouldn't be the first time, wont be the last. But where I drew the line was Pak-Kulder leaving while Berganza kept his job. Way to reward poor performance while driving out the few quality employees at the office, DC.

It was just insult added to injury.

If DC had kept those guys on, I would have given it a fair shot and complained a lot less (I still would've complained about Superdad, but not as much). I very likely would still be reading all the Super-books, instead of just Superman (and Im typically issues behind even there).

But hey, that's more money I can spend on Image.
    Weird that neither of us are reading the Superman books, man. I figured if I wasn't reading them, you wouldn't be either though! Solidarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I think I'm most sad because at the very least Pak would've finally been allowed to write a Superman who isn't going through a power crisis, physical deformation, or straight up depression. Like can you believe that Pak only got to write Superman as well Superman in ONE ARC for Action Comics! That's just ridiculous.

DC is finally letting writers write Superman as Superman and Pak isn't going to be one of them. The only thing DC can do to make up for this is to give us King